Did this Cause Damage To Direct Drive Motor?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I just realized I hooked up the heat exchangers in the wrong order.:shifty:
I connected Blower EX first then to Primary HE with the engine coolant.
I suppose this would raise the motor temp.:icon_rolleyes:

I had secondary HE bypassed all summer because it was way to hot and hard for the chimp to adjust heat on the WM. I must have been in a hurry when I hooked the secondary HE back up a few weeks ago. We did not notice any problems for a few weeks of running the HE in the wrong order. Then, I had a new engine put in a week ago to stop oil leaks which had been a long term problem. It’s been leaking oil worse than ever since the new engine was installed I’ve taken it back to the mechanic twice and now the engine is running weak and will not turn the direct drive at full RPM.

So, Is it all my fault?

Just shoot me:angry:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
someone smarter than me can correct if wrong, but as long a coolant was circulating, don't see how it cause your problems

It’s been leaking oil worse than ever since the new engine was installed

forgive a dumb question, Mike...but are you sure it's engine oil and not tranny fluid?
I'd be asking the mechanic why/where it's leaking

I’ve taken it back to the mechanic twice and now the engine is running weak and will not turn the direct drive at full RPM.

again..someone smarter than me can correct if wrong...but if the engine had enough power to drive to the mechanic, it has more than enough power to spin a blower and pump .
You're only talking 30HP

..L.T.A.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Ace:

To add a direct drive solution exchanger HELPS cool the vans engine, by extending the area of the coolant, and while cleaning it abosrbs some of the motors heat. The blower exchanger does not add heat to the coolant, only to the cleaning solution. And to hook up the solution as you stated changes nothing in regards to the van. So you did not damage your engine.

Thx,
Dale

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes

forgive a dumb question, Mike...but are you sure it's engine oil and not tranny fluid?
I'd be asking the mechanic why/where it's leakin

It seems to be leaking from directly under the engine. Mechanic said first time it was a lose valve cover and then a bad hose to oil filter.

again..someone smarter than me can correct if wrong...but if the engine had enough power to drive to the mechanic, it has more than enough power to spin a blower and pump .
You're only talking 30HP

..L.T.A.

Maybe your right belt(s) could be getting some fluid and slipping but the enigine sound like shit.

That thing has been a money pit from day one. My first TM was another white magic and a had few problems with. I found the plumbing issue last night and thought there might be a correlation. I’m not sure how hot a blower HE would really get starting off with cold water. I was getting ready to crucify the mechanic and want to make sure it’s not my fault. The best thing might be to sell it cheap and just chalk it up as a loss.

pinosan

Name
Martin
sounds like your mechanic is just guessing. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but if you coiuld do or have a trust worthy guy to come and do a leak down test and a
compression test you will be able to determine what is causing thew lack of power. I think you are loosing compression on the engine meaning it's done

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
:hopeless:

Apparently I’m too dumb to be a carpet cleaner.

you might be fine as a CC'er ...it doesn't require a lot of brAinz ...look at me:icon_redface:
It sure helps if you have mechanical knowhow/skills though

when you plumbed the HX's wrong, are you sure the coolant was "circulating" thru the engine block ?
Or that it had enough coolant in the system?

If it's a new motor, and had been running fine, it had to get hot..and maybe way hot, to blow the head gasket
(unless it's one of those POS year Chevy engines)

..L.T.A.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
It runs but, it's weak. oil level was ok but it took about a gallon of coolant. Come and get it bob. You might make it home if you drive real slow. :lol:

Sounds like you either lost some coolant or have a leak somewhere.

Running 4 quarts low could cause some overheating in the engine.

Has it overheated severely ?

If it can't supply the 30 HP for a TM, then the engine is really down on power.

Larry

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It Lives!
I thought for sure it was a head gasket or something major. I traded some carpet cleaning to have another mechanic look at it. Turns out it was a bad distributor cap and a leaking gasket near oil filter.
It was one thing after another for a week straight: burnt wiring, broken exhaust, oil leaks, recovery drain leaks, broken direct coupler and lose wires.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom