Diesel prices

steve_64

as prices increased overall, unleaded demand dropped but diesel didnt, or not as much.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I am so sick of diesel prices its making my head spin. a couple factors I think, one is every soccer dad around me who has no business needing a diesel thinks they need to cat around in a big truck, when once a year the tow a camper or a boat, the cost of driving a diesel truck is rediculous once you factor tires, fuel, depreciation etc. the other is they removed the sulfur out of diesel a few years back I think the increased refining has cost us all more than many people realize. I have looked at it back and forth trying to figure a way out of using a diesel. even if I bought a dedicated used f350 gas truck and drove a tacoma when not pulling my trailer and even with diesel being .50 more /gal it still doesn't save me hardly anything because when towing a gas truck absolutely drinks fuel, there in lies the real savings with diesel is pulling loads. if I used a gas truck to pull my trailer I would be burning twice as much gas. I have toyed with the idea of a 1/2 ton ford with ecoboost but I am not sure that truck will pull my load decently and I haven't proved it out with the numbers. it would be nice to not drive around a land yacht when not towing.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Steve is right and wrong....right in the fact the "other things" cost so damn much...oil changes...some repairs, and other things tied TO ONLY DIESELS....

Tires, depreciation, and others go hand in hand with ANY TRUCK....so those make no difference..

now I have done the math, (as i am switching BACK TO, a truck and trailer) Diesel no less....min of extended cab, but prefer a 4 door...

WHY??

well, on days i am not working and the wife is out...it will still be cheaper to drive it around, PLUS take kids if needs be...

I thought about a 3rd vehicle....but then you have something that eats the money as well....dont care if it gets 30+...another oil change, and other repairs...NOT TO MENTION I DONT HAVE A PARKING LOT AT MY HOUSE....

so here is the math based off of my box truck...which gets pretty regularly 10mpg...in the winter it drops 9 or 8......and based on a ford or dodge, of all the people i have talked to, and the research i have done, I should get around 15-18 PULLING...Now I get i may get a lemon..(lets hope not)

So with those numbers, and based on a 15k miles a year...it can be $1 a gallon more, and you will save like $1500 a year on fuel....with it around the .50 to .60 dif.....its around 4k a year

now i dont know about you...but thats a pretty good chunk...

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ohhh 1 other thing...

i have seen pics of your setup...

how much does it weigh??/

my box when fully loaded with my strip stuff....pushes 15k......i think the strip stuff is around 4k with machines and chems...

now when i had my 7x14...and the small avenger 210.....I think i was around the 5k mark on trailer only plus 84 gmc 1 ton....it was around 12-13k i think combined....

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
The vast majority of D is used commercially - and you also have to consider the non-road use engines. It takes a much bigger dip in the economy for it to take a feelable drop at the pump than gas does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom