Do I really need a truck mount to be 'real'

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I was a one woman show for 18 years and raised four kids and 2 foster kids while pushing wand through divorce and being widowed, so I know where you are, where you've been and where you're going.

You can do this, but it's hard, physical work. How old are you? Any major health issues, strong and in relatively good shape? if you're on the light side of 40 and can answer yes to the other questions, you should be okay.

I started with a porty. moved up to bigger and better portys and then bought a POS underpowered poorly engineered TM, and eventually had a pretty nice unti before retiring to do GreenGlides.

The TM is DEFINITELY easier on your back and faster. However, the initial investment is a lot more and normally portables are more reliable with less that can go wrong. I was lucky, I am very mechanically inclined and know my way around a motor and a tool box. When stuff would break, I learned how to fix it myself on the job if possible.

When my kids were young I did repo's from '87 to '98. I solicited the property management brokers for the VA and HUD repos in the county/territory around me and did those. It was great. I was given a list of houses to do and a window of time to accomplish the work, usually 3-10 days. I could make my own schedule and because the houses were all empty, I could even bring my kids if I had to. Many a time I sat up a play pen or video games to keep the kids safe and busy while I cleaned the house. I used a porty because all of the houses were empty, so there was no customer to impress with a TM unit....and I didn't have the money for a TM.

In '98 my husband died unexpectedly and with the loss of his income and insurance coinciding with the upturn in the housing market (the beginning of the infamous real estate bubble) there were few repos anymore, so I decided to use his small insurance policy and I purchased a new 16 passenger van and a small TM, my first TM. I put my name on the van and started doing occupied residential work. For many years I had the TM in the back and two rows of backseats for the kids. It had to do as both a business and personal vehicle.

Being a woman markets extremely well to residential clients. My customers LOVED me. We didn't go through the whole trust issues that many men have to deal with as service providers to women who are often home alone with kids.

Avoid commercial work like the plague, it will have you out nights and weekends when you need to be home with the kiddos. Focus on residential. I used to do weekend appointments, but I charged a nominal fee for a weekend/Holiday appointment, $50. If they really needed a weekend, they would pay, but most managed to schedule during the week.

Welcome to the industry. This may not be the most polite bunch, but they are honest and good people...a better bunch you will never find. Avoid the Rubber Room and Bird Room at all costs. Not a place for you! At times it's a bit like a biker bar here, but if you can roll with the boys, they will take good care of you.

Pembertons is a wonderful place to help you and guide you. Jim Pemberton is probably the best person this industry has....with the possible exception of his father, Lee. He can advise you on the best moves with your Rotovac set-up, whether to keep it or go for something else....and I'm always here to stick my opinionated two cents in as well. John Olson at Superior and his wife Lora are great people, as are many of the suppliers on board here.

Take care,
Lisa

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Another great thread. Only you know your bottom line but I'd try like crazy to get into a truckmount. It is the most important tool you will be using to make a living, other than yourself. All the tools that you read about on this forum feed off that truckmount. The van is a great place to advertise too. It will give you the confidence I think you need while getting into this biz. Maybe get a job at Stanley Steemer (or somewhere else you can easily leave) to get your feet wet? I worked at the location in Rochester, NY back in 2001. You will quickly find out that one or more likely 2 residential carpet cleaning jobs would pay for your truckmount setup if you buy a clean, used set up. Add a couple tricks you will gain from "let's talk business" part of this forum...and your on your way (Google Adwords, SEO, Yelp). Good luck to you!

Russ

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I thought I posted this: perhaps some glitch with my phone.

This is the system I purchased.

http://www.carpet-cleaning-equipment.net/dhx-cfx.shtml

It's not heavy and uses the rotery action to clean. I'm purchasing 'trashed' and 'greese eater' carpet cleaner and a hard floor cleaner 'oxy blast'. All from Magic Wand.
Stacy, if that CFX is the dual two stage unit, send it back and get the dual three stage vacuum model. The two stage vacuum is a dismal performer. Also send back the DHX and get their 360i.

Reactions: Total_Rookie

SamIam

Name
sam miller
But then how much is her investment gonna be Art???

I would send back the rotovac powerhead switch to a 13inch small scrubber with all the attachments tile brush carpet brush bonnets ect.

www.cleanfreak.com has a bunch of good deals.

I would get a aw29 wand and westpak upholstery tool or what ever meat says is the best something that would work well with a porty and get a stair tool too.

Have Lisa get you a glide for your wand, let the scrubber clean the carpet and rinse it out with the porty.

gets some small dripods with the savings and a small snail fan interlink has one for $95.00

get a good vacuum too.

http://www.prosafetysupplies.com/blue-plastic-shoe-covers-disposable-100-ct.html

order some shoe covers and give them out to your customers when done.

I've known some excellent porty cleaners guys who out cleaned truck mount hacks.

but they new what they were doing too. And they eventually graduated to truckmounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I was on the phone with a business about a stair tool. He almost laughed at me because I have a portable system - Rotovac- and said I'll eventually graduate to a real system and need a truck mount. He way he said it made it sound like I'm using a tricycle and need to be using a Harley.
I don't think he meant it that way really. But I'm an older lady, and can be a little sensitive with how I'm treated sometimes (divorcing a misogynist now).
I don't have the money for a truck mount, and had to borrow for what I do have.
I need to support myself and my young children, I don't want to be insulted but I need the truth. Do I really need a truck mount to be taken seriously in this business? (by clients, I couldn't care less about other carpet cleaners so long as my clients are happy)

Thanks so much :)
And God Bless
Hi Stacey. Yes you can! I get ribbed a lot about being a porty person, but you can do quite well, if you work it right. A truck mount will speed things up but it isn't the be all and end all. One of the more successful and busy cleaners I know runs a retro style fiberglass 100 psi porty. I have no experience with the system you're using with the exception of the power head. Art suggested getting the dual 3 stage set up -good advice as the RV will leave a lot of water behind. When you get ahead a bit, buy a "pump in a box" and hook up the wand. Use good prespray and watch craigslist for a 175 scrubber , slight learning curve, but it really loosens the soil as good or better than the rv. But the most important part , in my opinion is customer service. Little things, like doing the doormats without being asked. Calling the customer back after a week to insure their satisfaction. Being on time, but if you're even going to be 5 minutes late - CALL. Don't do a good job - do a GREAT job. Smile lots and consult with customer to get the feel of what their expectations are. Pet the family dog. Good luck and if there's anything I can do to help, just ask.

hogjowl

Idiot™
If you have to ask, then you don't need one.

You'll know when it's time.

Unless some idiot pad salesman gets to you first.

If that happens, it make take you years to recover.

Abigail

Name
Stacy
Thanks again everyone. I will be contacting you, Lisa! Pick your brain, I will!

I will also post for anyone close to the Buffalo area to work for. I thought I did hit the submit button to send the post...

Anyhow, I did notice I the extractor is not what I ordered. It says ranger on it and it has the small tank of the cfx. I see two vacuum motors. It does a fairly good job, in my opinion, drying. I will do the carpets again, early in the morning and see what my dry times are. I have to do it again, the kids let the dog run thru the house with muddy paws! She's a herding type so she stuck in the adolescent stage, she didn't stop running until her paws were clean!

I did pick up a good vacuum. The Riccar. It's made in America and has a 3 year warranty.
This is it
http://www.riccar.com/products/8-pound/index.asp?prod=RSL1A&doc=9:A
I paid $199
And the portable unit with the attachments is this
http://www.riccar.com/products/specialty/?prod=RSQ1
I paid $119 for that

I have tha chemicals enroute.

I'll look at an agitation brush.

Thanks again all:) :)

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No matter how wrong you are about portables Art I'm still glad to know you!
:winky:

Different strokes, if its working for you I'm not going to claim it isn't. However I also can't say its the easiest or the most productive either.

Agree to disagree I guess???

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
No matter how wrong you are about portables Art I'm still glad to know you!
:winky:

Different strokes, if its working for you I'm not going to claim it isn't. However I also can't say its the easiest or the most productive either.

Agree to disagree I guess???
No it's not the easiest way to clean. Neither is a truckmount. There is no easy way to go. It's all hard work. I gave the wand to a buddy of mine who's wife wanted her stinky family room cleaned. I sprayed with quatalot and he wanded for the 20 minutes it took. I asked him, "Isn't this great how this works?" He looked at me, drenched in sweat and panting, like I was insane. LOL. The porty take a few minutes longer to set up, but this is what Stacy has, and what she is going to use to make a living. She will be fine.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My point was if it doesn't work out your not over spending starting out.

Not everybody who goes into this sticks with it.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
My point was if it doesn't work out your not over spending starting out.

Not everybody who goes into this sticks with it.
And my point was the equipment is inadequate for the task, and for a few dollars more it could be awesome from the same company with their 30 day offer.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Abigail,

It sure sounds like you have your plate full, but it is great to see you here and posting. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of help as well. Best wishes on your new adventure. You will find what works for you and be successful! And Lisa....she is just and incredible person with a big heart! I don't think I could give better advice than she has in many cases.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Stacey their many ways to go about what you are trying to accomplish. Given that hauling a porty around is heavy clumsy work I would think that this would be a major concern for you. My suggestion would be for you to get a Steamon Demon and a 175 . I believe that this combo will outperform all that you have been hearing on this thread so far. Plus as you grow this equipment will never become obsolete.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Stacey their many ways to go about what you are trying to accomplish. Given that hauling a porty around is heavy clumsy work I would think that this would be a major concern for you. My suggestion would be for you to get a Steamon Demon and a 175 . I believe that this combo will outperform all that you have been hearing on this thread so far. Plus as you grow this equipment will never become obsolete.

Mardie, I'm not "anti" Steamon Demon, i promise, but they're a niche tool imHo
a quality stand alone clam shell design porty is far more versatile and every bit as good

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Willy P and Mikey P

Able 1

Name
Keith
Well, when you start out you have more time/less jobs.. As you grow you will find you have less time/ and a butt load of work! So to start with a porty isn't a bad thing, but It will take a lot longer.. I am all about efficiency after all time IS money(and your time will become the most valuable thing) don't short change yourself!

bob519

Name
Bob
Well, when you start out you have more time/less jobs.. As you grow you will find you have less time/ and a butt load of work! So to start with a porty isn't a bad thing, but It will take a lot longer.. I am all about efficiency after all time IS money(and your time will become the most valuable thing) don't short change yourself!

Porty is a good learning tool and buy used. Once you are cleaning well with a Porty portable ,you will have good skill set to work from. I do not see the need for new equipment at a start up . The hard part is making it rain . Marketing

Last edited by a moderator:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
You can also justify charging a lot more in high rise apartments. We do some condos and we have upped our rates with no push back.

Our next idea is once a job is booked in a high-rise condo. We will mail to the other folks on the floor offering a special deal. If we can pick up one or two more we will have a day on the same floor. We will then give the same deal to the first home that called us.

Just an idea.

good marketing is more important then equipment, But the TM helps your confidence and some people do expect it. I would suggest focusing on selling the benefits of your Roto vac, people will like that, also sell the benefits of indoor portable use, front door remain closed during cleaning, no hose running thu the home, keep the cool air in the summer and hot air in for the winter , etc.

The TM will dramatically increase your production rates , and make your work easier, that is the main thing. But don't let it hold you back, get started with what you have, then get a TM as soon as you can.

One easy way inexpensive thing you can do is pick up a 175 (600-700) get a light one so you don't kill your self lifting it. then get a gallon of encap, some pads, that will get you in to the commercial market and you can do about 1000 -2000 sf per hour. check out bonnet pro for a starter kit, (encap and pads) about 100 bucks.

I wish you luck!!

BTW, you can also focus on high rise apartments were truck mounts can't reach, you could have an advantage with your roto vac, over some guy with just a porty.

Name
Andy McFadden

PLEASE do not listen to mardie about anything equipment related, his heart is in the right place.

Trust me , your set up is far better then running a Steamin Demon, it cleans well but is a BIG FAT PAIN to use and slow as all get out.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Don't worry about having a TM Stacy. I started with 2 vac, 100psi porty, and I was regularly outcleaning guys with TM's. It wasn't me saying I was, it was my clients. What I learned within the first few years is that its all in the prep work. If you prep the carpets well they will clean well. Most guys with TMs rely on the "power" and rush through it. Give it a good prevac, pretreat, scrub/brush, and rinse. My first look at that equipment is that it could be a little under powered esp when for the same money you could have a little better system.

I would send a letter of introduction to property mgrs of highrises. Focus on those. Trucks can't get in and you won't have to compete. Good suggestion above about mailing to neighbours of units you're about to clean to book an extra couple jobs while there. Sell your personal touch. Take your time, don't need to rush your work. The beauty of running portable equipment is the low overhead/cost of operation. The downside is the speed with which you can work. But then you can sell that to your advantage also since 90% of cleaners will rush through the work.

I low cost investment is in a lift buddy and a bunch of sliders.
http://www.shepherdhardware.com/Upload/200701052099085433.jpg
http://www.shepherdhardware.com/products.php?type=92 Product that I like is 9338
These cost about $10/4pk, and more importantly, these actually work!
Blocks and tabs are good investment, sticky tabs if you can are better. If you get foil tabs, foil side goes down.

Lonny

Supportive Member
I started with an old school fiberglass 100 psi box type extractor with a single 7.2" vacuum motor. I then moved to a dual 3-stage EDIC 15 gallon porty with a 500 psi pump. I then modified it to accept a 2" hose, put another air stack in the waste tank, added another 3 stage vacuum to it, a larger motor for the pump, and a bit more of an eccentric offset. That beast still runs great, but I have a 3 corded creature that is HEAVY and no heat. I recently got a used Butler. The Truckmount has it all over the porty. Little set up time, good heat, as much vacuum as I need.
The bottom line is that I can clean veeery close to as well with the porty, however it does take longer, dry times are not as good however, this is really only ever a problem if you don't prep the customer for the dry times. My customers didn't care what equipment I used, as long as their carpets looked good after the service. Take baby steps.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Excellent post by Ron. Stacey as Ron pointed out is that cleaning carpet is all about the prep work just like painting without the proper prep work your results will be substandard. No matter if you have a TM or portable unit they all do the same thing and that is they flush out the readily available soils and just as important the sticky residues that most presprays leave behind. It takes a lot of water to properly flush out the sticky residue left from presprays so to be safe I would suggest that you get a prespray that does not leave sticky residues in the carpet. Vac Away has an excellent product line for this.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom