Do they even make the "BIG" trucks anymore?

Name
I'm Rick James
Like the Vortex or AT? Seemed like a good idea but is hard to substain due to the cost of fuel, repairs and other operational costs. Shoot even the local legend here in seattle is already dumping his zerorez truck that he owned less than a year. :shock:

I think we only have a few big trucks here in the entire area.. So is the big truck dead and buried? or can we expect to see the big truck version 2.0 in the coming years?

I understand the power and the limited benefits to owning a big truck, but it just seems smarter to install a good slide in, in a "big" truck and enjoy the savings. Shoot I think harper installed 2 of them in the back of a cargo truck. Very smart....

Hey Mikey,, your website header on your main page is off and may want to double check the rest of the headers.

Bjorn

yes you will see brand new aero techs out cleaning the finest Denny's and stores at the mall late nite

Becker

Name
Becker
Why I'd not want one.

1 over all size. Parking for some jobs around here has got to be a bitch.
2. Cost of repairs. Tires brakes etc.
3. Cost to use. Low mpgs gals per hr cleaning.

I'm sure some of the above is the reasons zerorez dumped them.

Yeah I saw surdi's on cl. $28k for a rig with nearly 100k miles and who knows hrs. Some sucker will make an offer.

Name
I'm Rick James
Probably beause of cost.

Is VT or AT making slide ins or are those model lines done? Is there a future for all the current cast offs of big trucks...

What is zerorez using now?

Bryan P

Aerotec is still producing the BIG TRUCKS.

Here in Phoenix.... Zerorez is getting rid of their BIG GMC KODIAC MOVING TRUCKS and going to Hydromaster 4.8 CDS machines, installed in Chevy vans. I looked at one of their vans the other day. They have also added really nice wraps to their vans.

....And they are still charging that mysterious $14 Environmental fee on every invoice.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
puscifeR said:

Lets ask Larry Cobb... shiteatinggrin

He is the one deeeep in with zerorez. I'm sure he could have an inside scoop on what other units zerorez will be using.

I can't wait to hear how they are going to advertise the newer setups. We can all have the same AND better units out there if they are in fact going with Hydramaster cds...

minus the magic water that "you can drink"

Can someone please tell unsuspecting radio listeners to ask the tech to drink the water that he uses to prespray and spot clean?!?!?!

If you found a steal on an AT (what would be a steal by the way), would you buy one?

I wonder when someone is going to get a used one from CINTAS.

Bob Foster

A Cintas machine will be employee run and likely not a good choice.

Unless you have Jim Martin or someone like him on retainer run the other way.

Becker

Name
Becker
I'm sure Ben has a plan..

He went big, maybe now he is going Nortic mounted in those mini fords..

Add sez it is being used daily in the field, so I'd guess he has something in mind otherwise he will be in a bind one machine down.

I can only imagine his fuel bill driving south to his target area every am in stop and go traffic.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
since i don't advertise anywhere i like the rolling billboard. if i had long drives between jobs i might care but i rarely drive more then 15 minutes. the main reason i like it is the ease to walk around the machine. i started out getting around 11 but with a little lighter foot i get 15 mpg. maybe the engine broke in or it's the synthetic. love my truck but i don't think i would want a pto.

gene

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
they are a HUGE waste of money if the capacity can't be utilized at least 75% of the time

not to mention they're a large complicated expensive albatross to the owners

it's amazing to me how so many otherwise "seemingly" smart biz folks could be suckered in by such marketing foolishness .

the worst part is, you didn't hear about all the "warts" of the platform til guys started dumping theirs . :roll:
all you heard was how great they were .
Clearly ego driven ...because their ego got them into an unwise biz decision, their ego/pride wouldn't allow them to tell the world was a POS it was/is

we can chock up the V/AT myth to another "board de jour" phenom .
Only this one wasn't like a POS sprayer , or tool.
this one cost SERIOUS money and hardship

..l.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
GeneMiller said:
since i don't advertise anywhere i like the rolling billboard. if i had long drives between jobs i might care but i rarely drive more then 15 minutes. the main reason i like it is the ease to walk around the machine. i started out getting around 11 but with a little lighter foot i get 15 mpg. maybe the engine broke in or it's the synthetic. love my truck but i don't think i would want a pto.

gene

Gene, i could be wrong, but i don't think Brent is talking about box trucks .
i think he's referring to HUGE expensive to run and maintain , complicated TMs ...the Vortex /AT's

..L.T.A.

Bjorn

mickey said all you needed to do was either just park it or start it and customers would come running

just the walk ups alone would make your payment each month

you were a hack and not doing your customers Justis by not using the big truck

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Odin said:
mickey said all you needed to do was either just park it or start it and customers would come running

just the walk ups alone would make your payment each month

you were a hack and not doing your customers Justis by not using the big truck

that was until a couple/few years of REALITY sunk in

..L.T.A.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Functionally similar "big trucks" are being used in the liquid waste, hydro-excavating, and industrial cleaning industries. Bigger blowers, pumps, tanks, and hose reels...and with less drama.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Odin said:
was it just hype?
Hard to say...I ran mine for 4.5 years...she did everything I needed it to do...put me where I wanted to be before I got rid of it........But...in that 4.5 years I bet I could count all the walk ups on both hand......

with the new truck.....Adam Hale would be real proud of me....in almost a year I have tripled the walk ups that the old truck got in the 4.5 years.... and have yet to figure out why....( probably because it is much quieter )... the truck pretty much looks like the other one......
best advice I can give you is that if you get the right truck and know what to do......get a good slide in and make your own set up........ you will be further ahead.......

Name
I'm Rick James
meAt said:
GeneMiller said:

gene

i think he's referring to HUGE expensive to run and maintain , complicated TMs ...the Vortex /AT's

..L.T.A.

Yeah i was talking about the Vortex and AT.. the custom PTO thats a PITA. I can see buying into the hype back in the day, the economy was doing good and so was business. I cant imagine why anyone would want to buy an old used one..

Becker

Name
Becker
puscifeR said:
meAt said:
GeneMiller said:

gene

..L.T.A.

Yeah i was talking about the Vortex and AT.. the custom PTO thats a PITA. I can see buying into the hype back in the day, the economy was doing good and so was business. I cant imagine why anyone would want to buy an old used one..

Yeah, old used up ones would be a real PITA.. Even more so fleet rigs..

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
puscifeR said:
Lets ask Larry Cobb... shiteatinggrin

He is the one deeeep in with zerorez. I'm sure he could have an inside scoop on what other units zerorez will be using.
If they had asked me . . .

I would have advised them against any of the Hydramaster CDS .

A good slide-in would have been less expensive to run & maintain.

Larry

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
If Aerotech is selling as many to Cintas as everyone sayes, there will be a "shit pot" of used ones for sale in about 4 years. I suppose they will swap them out after 5 years. I agree that hourly/commissioned techs may not take care of them as well as a o/o would, however, don't most fleet trucks get regular scheduled maintaince on oil changes, grease jobs, etc. etc.? I would think that an item that needed repaired or replaced would be a no brainer, unlike BDCC o/o I don't think Cintas would have any financial issues taking extreamely good care of their trucks. Alot of the wear and tear items would be hoses and such and those would be changed out easily. So maybe time will offer some desent used "big trucks" that this industry has ever seen.

Mikey P

Administrator
730_IM001289.jpg

My next truck

Features a 18 month chem tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom