Do you do fiber type analysis before the job?

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Just curious if you are still doing fiber analysis? It seems like with alot of the new fibers or blended fibers it might be more difficult to get good test.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Never tested a fiber in my life, except at CC school. Never had a problem. I do color test questionable furniture.

Becker

Name
Becker
I kinda agree with RW...

But I have tested in the field, less than a hand full of times.

Rugs, I'd more so test, carpets pretty standard and easy to ID, or just know it is not a concern.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Just curious if you are still doing fiber analysis? It seems like with alot of the new fibers or blended fibers it might be more difficult to get good test.

rarely if ever if you're talking about residential wall to wall
'bout the only time I ever have is if I suspected it "might" be wool
which in it's self is very rare for me to see wall to wall to wool

no concern about synthetic wall to wall regardless of the blend

..L.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I will occasionally burn test w2w. I can generally visually id the fiber type based on wear if it’s been down any amount of time. Knowing the fiber type on w2w is useful for stain removal / cleaning. For example oil based stains will require much more work and aggressive chemicals on polyester or olefin. Stain resistance issues and recommending applying protection.
That said, Standard Operating Procedures work equally well 95% + of the time on w2w.

A-Team

Name
Jamie
There is a lot of wool residential and commercial carpets in Oz but usually not too difficult to tell by sight or a quick feel. If in doubt a quick burn test.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Seldom ... hardly ever ... I remember the first time I went through a CC class thinking the burn testing portion of the class was just the instructors way of overcomplicating the process of cleaning just to make himself look all "Harold Hides" and all. However, there are occasions when it's good to know the fiber, like with upholstery and the occasional rug, but I never burn test to see.

I also never bought one of those Frank Nehei carpet microscopes either ...

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I did many burn tests or fiber ID test on wall to wall carpet in the home. Our company did in home analysis / sales call prior to the cleaning for any new residential customers. Being able to say, "Mrs Piffleton, your carpet is made from nylon and we have a process designed to get nylon carpet the cleanest..." was a helpful part of the sales call.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Though they preach it like crazy in class. In reality, it ain't worth it. Most of them you'll find contain a mixture of fabrics, so it ain't going to be very helpful, even if you can identify with certainty.

You can almost always clean with fine fabric pre-spray (low Ph, not heavy on solvents etc.) and a "Wool Safe" rinse.
That will be good for most fabrics.

If in doubt (and always a good idea) test on the zippered back side of the cushion for adverse effects.

The white cottons, velvets, chenille's, chintzes, rayons; etc will need to be cleaned differently (different cleaning agents or techniques.) However, the majority of fabrics will do fine.

If you need to use much stronger products, usually it means that they waited too long and chances are the cleaning results will be somewhat limited. That is the time when the pen comes out and you better document the pre-existing conditions and set their expectations right.

Unless, of course, you collect upholstered furniture :winky:.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom