Do you drag your hoses on the ground?

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
When setting up your hoses do you drag them on the ground or do you coil them over your free arm and uncoil them as you move into the house.

The reason I ask is I saw a TV advert for a carpet cleaning company that dragged them on the ground and then dragged them into the house.

Incidentally when I uncoil them I always estimate the exact length i need - no more and no less and get the exact length spot on.

What about you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
what we did ...
pull off the reel and carry in the first length, drop coils from farthest room back to exit

pulled the rest direct off the reel

at roll up, it all got drug more or less to the reel
(exceptions would be thru mud)

if wet grass, it got wiped on the way in

..L.T.A.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I always roll them up and carry. Dragging North Carolina red clay in the house is a pain that will come back to haunt you. I don't even drag the hoses through it that never come in the house because it will transfer to the other hoses on the reel.

Mrice

Name
Mat
I always coil and cary my solution hose in first, got to the furthest point and uncoil back to the truck. I then know exactly how long the vac hose needs to be. I pull the vac hose off and coil it over my shoulder and uncoil it going into the home. On the way out I get all hoses out of the home before rolling up...idealy in the driveway...never do I pull an entire hose backwards out of a home.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
When setting up your hoses do you drag them on the ground or do you coil them over your free arm and uncoil them as you move into the house.

The reason I ask is I saw a TV advert for a carpet cleaning company that dragged them on the ground and then dragged them into the house.

Incidentally when I uncoil them I always estimate the exact length i need - no more and no less and get the exact length spot on.

What about you guys?

First 50 gets dropped second 50 carries into the house, 95% use a 100 ft

Name
BradFenstermaker
Coil lead 100ft solution. Usually accurate from door to farthest spot.
Prespray in if I can.

Coil 1st 50ft vac on shoulder.

Reactions: JohnHawkP

steve_64

it would certainly surprise me if they weren't

otherwise we may have the largest collection of actual hard workers I've ever seen....maybe I'll call Guinness
At 16 I had the keys to a school I was the janitor at. My boss put me in charge.
I walked 2 miles in a blizzard and was on time. I was the only one who showed up.

steve_64

When I was 16, I had to walk 5 miles to and from school, through 6 ft of snow, uphill both ways.
My story isn't an exaggeration.

I'm a **** up in a lot of ways but I've always liked working and pride myself on being on time and not missing work.

Drove from Michigan to Chicago every day for 5 or so years. Drove through a blizzard didn't know I 94 was shut down in Indiana. Wondered why there was zero other cars on the road. I think I floated most of the way on snow drifted in my geo. Had a couple times I wondered if I was going to make it as I plowed under snow drifts at 70 mph.

Fred wouldve had an epic day in his parents basement playing video games.

My dad who drove 45 minutes to work and I were the only ones to show up that day. Most guys lived within walking distance but were snowed in lol.

Last edited:

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
My first section of vacuum hose is close to 70 feet...maybe it's 65. It seemed when I brought in the first section at 50 feet I was always 10 feet short or 5 feet...1 foot.
Just made that change but was what I always use to do my earlier businesses. I don't drag the hoses. I start at the far point and lay them out until I at the van...vacuum hosese. The pressure hoses are coming off a live reel usually so I carry in my best guess and am laying it out from the van to the far spot...the opposite of the vacuum hose. When I miss-calculate there might be some dragging.

FredC

Village Idiot
Fred wouldve had an epic day in his parents basement playing video games.

Steve at 16 you would more likely find me at the beach or out on a boat having fun although I worked hard when I worked.....maybe that is why at 40 I wasn't at rub-n-tugs or needing to inject innuendo into everything at 50+.....and there aren't any basements where I'm from........

and really that is your story of how responsible and hard working you are? Want to hear something funny? Everybody has some sort of anecdote like that and that is my point. There are very few people I've ever met that didn't describe themselves as a hard worker. Even fewer were the people that actually were. I've seen people that had the best anecdotes break down and cry on restoration jobs.

The other thread was about millennials and their work ethic. While its true that priorities have shifted somewhat it is like many older folks catch the fn amnesia at 30.

I grew up listening to dinner table stories about shitty employees and irresponsible young people. They aren't new. The same people telling those stories and bitching were just as irresponsible if you listen close to those even older than them. Your own "I'm a hard worker" anecdote" describes others that didn't show up. Were they time travelling millennials? :eekk:

The hardest working people I know usually became that way due to responsibilities but prior to them having kids and the like they were no more hard working or responsible than anyone else.

If you hire a 18-24 year old kid past, present, or future you shouldn't expect that they are "hard working" for anything but the short term.

steve_64

Oh Fred while my stories are true I've been fired from a lot of Crap jobs I hated if I didn't quit first.
I know each generation puts the next down. If its not work its the music or something else.
I remember my teen years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom