Do you hire dare devils?

Mikey P

Administrator
Assuming you have a pile of resumes on your desk do you make it a point to not hire thrill seekers who are more prone to injury?

Soccer or hockey players or motorcyclists for example?

Or like me, you take the first (and only) guy who has all his teeth and no tats and hope for the best?

Last edited:

Ron K

Thrill seekers might be more coordinated and in better shape!
So in other words you wouldn't hire yourself???

Reactions: Art Kelley

Able 1

Name
Keith
I work at a local disty, breathing seems to be the only prerequisite..

hogjowl

Idiot™
Growing up, my son was that way. He's broken bones too numerous to count. It was his Mom's fault. I remember one time a neighbor called to ask if it was ok for Brady to be jumping off her roof into her pool. I couldn't hear the neighbors side of the conversation, but I heard my wife say "unless it bothers you for him to be doing that, I'm fine with it. Call me if he breaks anything."

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Daredevils get hurt and don't realize that missing work while bones and bruises heal hurts their employer.

If you challenge that, you'll be told what they do in their leisure time is none of your business.

While that is true, they need to know if they do things that make them unavailable for work, they need to find a job that will allow them to show up in a cast or crutches.

To be clear and consistent, I no longer catch venomous snakes by hand. As much as I find it to be enjoyable leisure activity, it's not fair to people who depend on me for me to take risks.

Twenty somethings without kids or payments don't get that.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I wish I could be that picky and have the luxury of deciding if I want to hire a risk taker. Nice problem to have. I'm trying to get past being well spoken, groomed with social graces and decent written communication skills.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
In the San Francisco area, the main criteria for hiring is having a pulse.
My Craig's List results lead me to believe that most don't.

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For a part-timer, yes sure.

Full-time is more like a marriage, want to be a little more picky.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Define daredevil.

I picture some dufus riding a wheelie during rush hour traffic while wearing shorts, tee shirt and no helmet.

Then there's the guy who took a riding class and wears full protective gear who likes to trail ride or do a little motocross. He enjoys the thrill, but does everything he can to minimize the risk.

Two different animals.....

Reactions: J Scott W

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Risk taker huh?

Like someone that would start their own business ...
Hmmmm... that's another nail in their coffin!

Steve

PS I always looked for the "sweet spot" in employees. Smart and ambitious but not TOO MUCH that way or we all know where it will end. "Super Stars" usually have a "super ego" to match and won't be happy pushing a wand long term. Sound familiar to anyone here? :)

Reactions: Mikey P

Dave Rampage

My son races go karts at over 70 miles per hour. Though there are risks I feel it is safer than driving in a car. He can get in a car accident and be hospitalized too. I do worry when he is on the track but I really wouldn't call him a risk taker. Going outside everyday is risk taking.

Name
Lee Stockwell
My four sons were allowed to do off-road stuff, but I drew the line at street bikes.

Justin bought one once...that didn't last long. I trusted THEM, but not the goofy people on the roads already. I've lost too many friends, and had too many badly injured.

hogjowl

Idiot™
My Dad practically raised my brother and I on road bikes. We both got out first one at 13. We were allowed to drive around the home place on them until we got to the age of 14, and could get our license. Once we got our license, we were allowed to ride anywhere within the city. By the time I was 15, I was riding across the country during the summers seeing what I could see. My Dad was with us, of course, on all the trips we took. We camped out at night and rode during the days. It was a blast.

The only person in my family that ever had a serious motorcycle accident was my Dad. When he was in his 40's, he made a trip up the east coast alone. When he was in Pennsylvania, he hit a patch of oil in a curve and went down. He fractured his ankle and broke two ribs. His bike was bent up but ride-able. He picked it up, bent the foot pegs and handle bars back into position and rode it home. He went to see a doctor after he got home.

From there after, his work buddies called him "Quaker State".

He was one tough old guy.

And I miss him.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Cordell wants to ride his bike to MFE in Vegas this September.

You should join him.
You can pick up a dual sport dirt cheap
KLR 650
XR 650l
DR 650

Or if you got money to blow, 690R

I may hook up with him for the last leg of the journey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom