Do you use carpet pre spray on upholstery?

Mikey P

Administrator
I do on some synthetics, Micro Fiber/Ultra Suede especially.
Older Olefins and a few random others

Spray em down with the hydro force while their sitting on top of the carpet we'll be cleaning right after.

hacking them out yet still a great job.

No one has ever really complained about the dry times but Jim's article has me wondering just how long it could really take..

hogjowl

Idiot™
Not routinely, but I have used O2 (without the hot sauce) several times. In fact, that is one reason I use the O2 system. Three products are all you need for 99% of all jobs.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I do wonder about those articles though.
Hopefully not to jinx myself, but I am not sure how much I agree about the drying in one hour.

Been cleaning for a long time, never yet bled a fabric or caused any disaster. True, I have not been using carpet pre- sprays on upholstery (just fine fabric cleaners most of the time) and been giving fabrics a nice heavy rinse.
None dries in an hour. The ones that did with the SS tool, I found not to have cleaned that well.

Not to doubt Jim's knowledge or expertise. I just think that some of these advises are about liability and the 1%.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Jim's the reason I always use an acid side upholstery prespray.

But on occasion, I have used the O2 on microfibers that are trashed.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I didn't read the article but I attended Jim's seminar in Nashville. He gave an eye opening example of how the carpet prespray penetrated to the backing of upholstery (its designed to do that for carpet) and the upholstery prespray gave you time to agitate and extract.

That extra penetration is what causes you problem with different weaves where darker yarns are hidden and not visible until high PH precondition hits it a bleeds in the drying cycle.

That

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
It must be a marketing thing ...
[h=4]Call it what ever you want The stuff really works to help remove pet hair.[/h]" Fission with SST stands out among traffic lane cleaners. SST stands for “soil separation technology,” referring to the product’s unique ability to detach even tightly-bound particulates from carpet piling and suspend it for removal. This effect also enables Fission to dissolve greasy, oily soils and to remove particulate soils such as pet hair from carpets."

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
It must be a marketing thing ...
[h=4]Call it what ever you want The stuff really works to help remove pet hair.[/h]" Fission with SST stands out among traffic lane cleaners. SST stands for “soil separation technology,” referring to the product’s unique ability to detach even tightly-bound particulates from carpet piling and suspend it for removal. This effect also enables Fission to dissolve greasy, oily soils and to remove particulate soils such as pet hair from carpets."

glenboy

Name
GLEN
Fussion has a chemical that helps to remove pet hair. I put it to the test today.
Do you mean FISSION? If so I had my supplier TOM. Tell me that after I contacted him and said I clean this set year after year,and in 2012 I tried fission in a spray bottle (diluted) as an uph prespray.and for the first time the cat hair that is all over was cleaning off of the upholstery,wet.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Yep. That's the stuff. FISSION! It rocks for the un-godly trashed carpet too. Melts the crap like butter! I went through about 10 cases of it this year after getting a free sample.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I remember when I took my IICRC upholstery class I became nervous during the class and appreciated the fact that I had the V all along. The V probably saved me lots of headaches and color loss because it helped dry the fabric quicker. I rarely use regular prespray on upholstery but try to stick with one made just for these types fabrics (medium ph) to lesson the chance of damage. I use alot less pressure now and take extra time to dry the button areas as well as the rope areas(temp forgot the correct term). Another thing I definately like about the SS pro is it doesn't wet the fabric like most other tools so therefore less likely to leave wet. I went back to spot clean a couple chairs at that church the other day behind the tech with the ss and they were almost dry. With that said I used Flex with Citrus and OSR on those truckstop chairs because they were so nasty, so I guess occasionally I do I suppose.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

I agree with Jim on several points :

1. Dynachem Upholstery Prespray uses weakly buffered solutions, which revert to neutral pH in ~30 minutes.
Ideal Medium wetting speed.
http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=1219

2. My Key Point - A great HORSEHAIR Brush for fabric agitation
View attachment 1393
http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=2443

3. Hot Rinse with reducing agent for fabrics with unstable dyes or browning potential !
I think this minimizes the water required, which cuts down drying time.

DC All Fiber Rinse if you want a liquid reducing agent:
http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=1123

or Powder Reducing Agent (DC FiberBrite)
http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=1081
(Both much safer than oxidizers commonly used)

4. Sapphire Upholstery Tool with modification for even spraying.
http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=4776

Near perfect Results with reasonable labor time.

Larry

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Use to use left over pre-spray, I've been using Prochem upholstery ps its great on micofiber hit with a horsehair brush and rinse with SS tool.

Use a snail to dry, I add a little Cobbs peroxide to prespray and spray with a handheld sprayer

rinse depends on fiber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

alpine

Name
jeff tobian
I spray dielock first then scrub the sofa with fabric shampoo then after you steam clean it you have to use a brass brush to get out the stroke lines. If you set up airmovers on the sofa it will be dry before you leave.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jim also used a small brush that conveniently fit in tight spots, allowing the necessary agitation but saving you the need for unnecessary moisture in problem areas. Cheap brush but a "need to have" when cleaning upholstery. Handibrush, works great! Did I tell how great a class Jim put on. If you do a lot of upholstery I thoroughly recommend attending Jim's class!!!

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan

Who makes it?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I use ultra pak on upholstery from time to time, but typcially only on "recliner" type material and micro fiber and also office chairs. I actually also clean micro fiber with a floor wand if I can, it looks terribly hackish but I find the extra flushing does a better job on it. I have gotten in trouble using ultra pak before. in the mid 90's I did a sofa that bled the colors I thought it was a synthetic jackard weave and it caused too much bleeding and the customer wanted a new sofa, so the place I worked for bought them one. I have done others in the past that have induced some bleeding but I was able to hide the bleeding with careful extraction in targeted areas and got to the point where what happened wasn't really noticed. its happened a handful of times to me over the years.

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Actually, as strange as it might sound, there is cleaning chemistry that specifically targets pet hair on upholstery. It does not dissolve it or obviously remove it by itself, but it does make it much easier to remove during extraction. Typical carpet cleaning surfactants will increase the moisture absorption of pet hair and actually make it stick to the fiber even stronger (think about what wet cleaning does to wool upholstery fiber). Everyone has their favorite way to remove pet hair from upholstery (everything from playtex gloves to lint and hair removing brushes). HydraMaster manufactures a line of upholstery cleaning presprays, called FabricMaster Fine Fabric and FabricMaster Heavy Duty that both contain a special cleaning surfactant that helps suspend the pet hair rather than attach it further to the upholstery. Will it solve a massive build-up of pet hair on certain fabrics? No, but it does increase efficiency of removal with your upholstery tool.
The other thing to consider that Jim has often spoke or written about, are the differences in "average soil" between upholstery and carpeting. Specialized upholstery cleaning formulas are specifically designed to break down, dissolve, and emulsify the soils and spills most common to upholstery fabrics – body oils, hair treatments, airborne oils, shoe scuffs, spilled food and beverages, crocked colors from clothes, newsprint, and pet hair.</SPAN></SPAN>Specialty upholstery cleaning presprays and rinses (like Fabricmaster) are designed to specifically target these soils in upholstery. That is what really makes them different than lower pH carpet presprays and rug preconditioners.
There is also some evidence (though I certainly would not worry about it on your average synthetic fiber, plain weave sofa) that a high level of solvents used in some carpet presprays can affect upholstery with delicate textures. I first heard this theory related to microfiber, but in our evaluation here, we have not seen that.

Reactions: Mikey P and hogjowl
Back
Top Bottom