Does your state make you charge sales tax?

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
Wisconsin is 5.5% for all carpet cleaning, unless you're non-profit. Which is few. VCT and waxing is exempt.
Anyone else?

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
No sales tax on service here in Florida but I see alot of cleaners charging sales tax, i wonder if they turn it in or pocket the money.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
6.875 percent in Minnesota. Just went up a year ago from 6.5 percent. Some towns also make you charge additional for a local tax. I remember when we didn't have to until the late 1980s.

Mark Saiger

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Chris, RW, and Larry would know better. But last I knew we paid 6.25%(around '08) and sales tax was only on actual services rendered in Ohio.No sales tax on deodorization or protector.

I've also heard weird things(in some states) such as anything that isn't a permanent fixture to the home(upholstery, mattresses and rugs) aren't suppose be taxed either.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
South Dakota State Sales tax is 4% plus a city tax of 2% in most of the cities I work in.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Mike Draper said:
none in utah

Thank God.....

oh did yall see my post about Living in UTAH shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

In fact, Forbes Magazine ranks Utah the top foundation in the nation, the No. 1 state for business and the most fiscally fit state government in the U.S. That's a big deal for every aspect of our economy, including real estate, which is steadily improving.

Home sales in August 2011 were up 23 percent compared to August 2010; pending sales up 30 percent for the month. Foreclosure filings were down 50 percent for the month.

hey Marty, blow me hey Marty, blow me hey Marty, blow me hey Marty, blow me hey Marty, blow me hey Marty, blow me hey Marty, blow me

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Hoody said:
Chris, RW, and Larry would know better. But last I knew we paid 6.25%(around '08) and sales tax was only on actual services rendered in Ohio.No sales tax on deodorization or protector.

I've also heard weird things(in some states) such as anything that isn't a permanent fixture to the home(upholstery, mattresses and rugs) aren't suppose be taxed either.

Yep.......in Ohio we can pay monthly, or bi-yearly. I choose monthly because it's easier to keep up with the payments. My county is 6.75%, the county below me is 7.0%, the county above me is 6.50%, and it all has to be separated into countys when you file. I file online, and the forms are easy to follow. Tax is due on the 23rd of each month for the previous month. If you stay on top of it, just about 5-10 minutes of your time is needed to file each month.

Ohio sales tax on carpet cleaning probably started about 15-20 years ago, along with alot of previously tax free services. It was a windfall for Ohio. I guess it didn't help since Ohio is SOOO broke.

Also, with the economy tanking the last 2 years, a whole lot of business people "forgot" to pay their sales taxes, and now it's showing up in court filings every week. At least 2 columns of tax cases against business each week in the legal news.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
none in kentucky or TN............................ Umm........... we suppose to charge sales tax in ohio? just kidding i knew that.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes in TX

BUT

Only if you purchase supplies to do the carpet cleaning.

When I sub out...I don't have to pay taxes....The subs do so they charge for it.

I learned this the hard way. I actually paid 2 quarters of taxes until I spoke with my accountant about it.

I set it up all by my wee little self and thought I was cool fish for doing it...turns out I was a dumbass.

Another testament about letting your CPA take care of your money business. ugh.

And no, I never got that money back....and they won't give it back. Sucks...But it was myowndamnfault.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
my CPA has told us for years in NY there is no sales tax on carpet or upholstery cleaning. (but there is on products applied AFTER cleaning, like protectant or deo :roll: )

i hope he has been right all these years... :shock:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
12% up here, a "harmonized sales tax", nothing harmonizing about it other than its one tax blending federal and provincial.
We have to wait a another year or more before it drops to 5% and the provincial portion is dropped from services. The people spoke and canned it.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
No sales tax in Washington. On work done on-location.

Regular sales taxes apply to any work taken off-site.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Tennessee requires sale tax be collected on all services that are not for real property. This was a real headache for us to take care of.

Clean carpet - No sales tax
Clean upholstery - Sales TAx because it was not part of the building (real property).
Clean a rug - Sales tax because it was not part of the building.
Give away free spotter - you had to charge sales tax on the regular retail price.
Sell spotter for 1 cent no sales tax because the regular price was less than 10 cents.

Got audited 3 years and a few months after we started doing upholstery. Had to pay around $700 in back sales tax we had never collected.

S

sam miller

I tell all my Custys no tax on a service But thier working on it! The only thing they dont tax except Fruits and Veggies! Thats in California.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom