Dog odor wont go away

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
I have a customer trying to sell a house it is currently empty, they had a large dog and you smell dog when you walk in not urine but dog.I have tried a couple of things already, I first ran a TZ2 ozone generator for 2 days didn't get rid off it, then I cleaned the carpet applied an enzyme deo at 200 SF gal. following cleaning. It is better but you can still smell dog, I am going to get some Odorcide and fog carpeted rooms and HVAC returns hope that does the job. Any suggestions? what has worked for you in this situation. I was really disapointed in the ozone results, this machine has a brand new generator in it and I thought it was suppose to take care of this type of problem.

K P

For starters the ozone trick for that particular situation is only a temporary fix.I did it (piss)for someone selling as well years ago,but the market was great.You might have to search for the areas to find the source.If it is all over the carpet,try a good batch of citrus/oxy blend,let it dwell awhile,clean then add a good odor counteractent as a final.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
I always tell people that ridding a home of dog smell is a very difficult process because there are so many surfaces that need attention.

1. Carpet
2. Pad
3. Base Trim
4. Walls
5. Ceiling
6. Duct Work
7. Upholstery
8. All Textiles

To truly rid a home of this strong smell you MUST clean all of these surfaces. Then, once you have cleaned everything and cleaned/sealed etc all surfaces you can then run an ozone machine and do a vapor mist treatment to the entire home as a finishing touch.

Now of course when you give someone this rundown and the price it will cost to do it, they most likely will run the opposite direction. So then you start with the biggest contributors to the odor and give them no guarantees.

We always give the client 3 price tiers.

1. The price including a guaranteed odor removal job. Usually we will price this in the 5-6K range
2. Something in the 2K range which might include cleaning carpet, upholstery, vapor misting, topical treatments to carpets etc.
3. Something in the 500 range which might include carpet cleaning only with deodorizer.

What we tell them is that no matter which option they go with we will credit 100% of that investment towards the next upgraded option if they decide they need further improvement.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Spray microban on the carpet and then fog the whole place with it too .

Connor

Name
Connor
Big dogs, big dander, big stink, big problem.

I did a remodel last year that smelled of old dog. Customer had three year old carpet that looked new and she say was says it had professionally steam cleaned regularly to try to fix the smell. I recommended she replace the pad, when we came back to set the fixtures the pad had been replaced and the smell was all gone in that room.

The dog died and was cremated when the carpet was about a year old, so it wasn't a reoccuring odor.

I don't know why they call it cremation, it ain't creamy at all, they oughta call it, dustification. Just sayin'.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Any ozone of fogging treatment is only going to be temporary.
You have to remove the source of the odor - Ben is right.

The more porous the surface, the more odor it is capable of holding - drapes, carpet, latex painted walls.
For the ducting, first change the furnace filter then you can try putting pellets of odor absorber or bags of potpourri - works in smelly shoes too, Jimmy.

Last point - that "dog smell" as opposed to urine usually comes from the dog's hair so you may be better off using a pile lifter or really good vacuum with beater bar especially if the carpet is some staple yarn with lots of fuzz on every fiber.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Like Ben said.
It can be in the trim, pad and subfloor.

Most clients just want a rinse from the surface and a deo treatment.

This will improve most cases. But it is not a cure all.

For problem areas. I usually just return & re-clean and deo a second time and that helps a lot.( As when drying from the first cleaning more contamination will wick to the top.)

You can do your best. But, it is THEIR problem. NOT YOURS.

A guarantee would likely involve sealing sub floor, replacing pad, tack strip, possibly trim and cleaning both sides of the carpet, drying and re-install the carpet.
Usually this is cost prohibitive.

They may have to just do a carpet allowance or replace the carpet and seal the floor as a condition of the sale.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bobby;

As Kevin mentioned, an oxidizing treatment with an actual enzyme is the best single step (our Odor Attack).

http://www3.cobbcarpet.com/zen3/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=1127

In very persistent cases, I would follow with a Dynacide deodorizer.

http://www3.cobbcarpet.com/zen3/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=1051

Since you have already extracted the carpet, spray application may be enough for the carpet odor.

Larry
Large Dog Owner

HAPPY NEW YEAR

John Buxton

Ozone is for smoke odor. I've had good luck with Molecular Modifier. and yes fogging the ductwork, and cleaning everything with a deodorizer would help. I had a custy trying to sell a house that was bad urine odor, They didn't want to pay to have anything done. I thought that house would never sell like that but it sold in 2 weeks. Never know I guess.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
to remove dog odor from carpet we spray with 40 volume boosted pre spray 2 cups to a gallon. extract with rotary tool and the carpet will no longer smell. you can put your nose in it and no odor. the house may still smell from the other surfaces. just educate the customer, you can only remove it from what you clean.

gene

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
we recently did the worst one we've ever encountered.
I know it was in the carpet ...cause the whole condo was painted and cleaned
and done right too, cause we did the re-ready

No urine contamination ...I pulled the carpet back to be sure after the first attempt failed .

VAC-VAC-VAC and VAC sum-mo.
if you've already cleaned it and "looks" good, but still smells.
VAC VAC VAC and VAC sum-mo

then NUKE IT with sodium perc (powdered peroxide) mixed strong
Dwell a minimum of 30 minutes .

SLOW flush/rinse strokes .(add some smell good to the rinse)

Throw a couple drying fans down

..L.T.A.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
The problem with using any vacuum is the DOG might have had a disease or something and here you are sucking up that disease and the vac blowby is airborne and filling the entire house .

Going into the hvac system and creating a UNHEALTHY environment.

And then you are going to use that vacuum to clean other people's homes and spread the stank and disease there. I never vacuum a DOG/CAT infected house because of that. You will never get that stank out of your vac either.......UNHEALTHY.

Use your strong OXY/enzyme/quat combo and in your expierence it gets the job done do it.

Quat has done the job for me.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Dog smell that is not urine based is normally from coat oils, hunting and water dogs are the worst as they are designed with heavy coat oils to repel water, especially Labs. If the owners bathe the dog frequently it is not normally a problem, but few do.

You need a solvent/detergent which breaks down organic oils. I used to use a Taski product (Degrease) -

http://catalog.highpointss.com/catalogp ... 97368CCASE

years ago that was made for cleaning restaurants and meat packing facilities that was wonderful at eliminating dog oils (and their odor). I don't even know if it has changed formula, or if there is now something better, but it used to be the bomb.

Pay special attention to areas the dog usually laid. You ca tell because it will leave black, rub marks on adjacent walls and furniture.

Also, something frequently overlooked - wool carpet smells like dog when damp. Some folks don't even realize they have wool carpet and don't understand why they can't get the "dog smell" out of their carpet.

PS- There is little need to fear bringing a disease or infection into the next home. The vast majority of canine diseases and parasites are species specific and cannot infect humans. They also cannot live long off of, or out of, the host. You should be much more worried about infections picked up from humans, than pets. However even human diseases normally do not exist long off the body.

Take care,
lisa

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Good gawd Lisa are you still in denial about how UNHEALTHY it is if you allow DOG/CATS to piss and shit in your house?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
You're a lot more likely to catch a disease or infection from your wife or kid than your dog...even if it pisses and craps in the house.

Take care,
Lisa

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
truckmount girl said:
You're a lot more likely to catch a disease or infection from your wife or kid than your dog...even if it pisses and craps in the house.

Take care,
Lisa

What about parasites that live in feces? Aren't most of them human-compatible?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I hear there is a parasite that causes schizophrenia and death most commonly pasted to humans through cat shit.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
i cleaned a home that had a big brown hunting dog 2 weeks ago and while i was cleaning i realized this house is very clean for havin a big dog like at, then i got to the stairs and the living room and my powerburst stopped workin.i had started getting to the oils of this big ass huntin dog and the shit was not budgin! my solution to this is citruspro diluted in a spray bottle and mist and clean,when i was done she said that in 6 yrs of calling other clowns out they never got it this clean.i believe they were not getting the pile stripped of all of the oils from dog.i am going to her moms house in the hills next week on good referral :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom