of course the all important website.

B:The granular way to do it.

Sponsoring a local youth sports team
Put an ad in the local community theater program
Volunteer the services of your company to a non-profit charity
Donating part of your invoices to a local cause
Working in your community as a volunteer
Put a commercial float in the local parade

Which one do you think will get you the most business and referrals?

Bob Foster

The ones above that give you the most face time with people are probably the most effective and probably cost the least.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I would think it would depend on your goals.

I always go with the numbers. That is, what is the way to get our offers in front of the most people and make it easy for them to contact us in response. A printed piece that goes directly to their house that they can hold and has all the information they need to make a buying decision has been the best.

Internet website right after that.

Of course, our business is based on producing a high volume of value-minded customers. We try to make it EASY for people to buy from us.

Sponsorships, community service, etc. I believe builds credibility but I wouldn't think think it results in too many direct sales. Top of mind awareness, maybe. But not many can afford to compete with the blitz of commercials put out by our not-so-favorite franchise competitors.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Forgot 2 of the best.

Places listing and referral marketing to centers of influences.

I have yet to base my choice of service provider on best float.

Anyway internet time is the new facetime. Especially when your site in the top of generic searches, on their inter-office website and the listed on sites of the groups and clubs they belong to.

Visibility is not limited to team jerseys and other sponsorships.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Pizza Hut paper place mats and corner bus stop seats works for me.

Oh and don't forget placing your ad under shopping cart handles.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
urinal cakes with my face on them

m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L5350r8Kl8m]

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Mikey P said:
None of the above for owner ops.

Correct answer. Nothing.....note of the above, will be in the same ball park as solid referals from customers who would trust you to their family members and closest friends. Just do the superb work we are capable of and make a connection with the customer you are working for.

Bob Foster

meAt said:
Bob Foster said:
Which one do you think will get you the most business and referrals?

is this a trick a question???

"A" all the way....by a MILE

..L.T.A.

I believe in a small community that some of the B stuff could be effective. Some of the B ideas can be inexpensive and others could be quite expensive. I have had some success with some of the B ideas and also some failures.

This whole idea started when somene here mentioned a little league team. I drive past a well used field a couple of times a day and started noting the sponsors signs on the fence. When I look at most of the companies who have their name on the ballpark fence they are established and local. It got me thinking that if you did community advertising there would be more desire on the part of a customer to support your local business.

At the sake of Brokum continuing to inflict us with his drivel about Google and marketing, I will say this. Google will continue to change-up its game and it would be prudent for those of us seeking out new non-referal based business to have alternative ways of getting it other than a website found by a Google search.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bob Foster said:
When I look at most of the companies who have their name on the ballpark fence they are established and local.

I've sponsored teams for years , bought a "brick" to build the football field , sponsored many holes at charity golf outings, donated time, equipment and man power to local clean-ups, etc.
It's good to be involved in your community .
and I'm sure there may be some intangible rewards other than the personal satisfaction of doing something good for and being a part of your local community ...just don't expect much ROI from it

..L.T.A.

gavin

I say try everything once, and them measure the results.

with the small oligopolies that exist for carpet cleaning in each town it's any ones guess what will work best for you, there are so many factors based on not only the consumers but based on your competition as well.

So I'll give it a try if it sounds good, and then if it doesn't bring the expected results I will think long and hard before trying it again.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
gavin said:
So I'll give it a try if it sounds good, and then if it doesn't bring the expected results I will think long and hard before trying it again.

Don't think of it as just a ROI money angle, Gavin.
we SHOULD support on local community ...it's the "right" thing to do IMO

..L.T.A.

Bob Foster

I agree. But I'm also hoping that a little karma makes it to my bank account too... :lol:

gavin

I view advertising and support of the community as 2 different actions.

I base my livelihood on numbers and ROI

my thoughts and feelings drive my action in the community.

Does community involvement bring in jobs, a few, but to say that's why I am involved with bellingham chamber of commerce, whatcom sustainable connections, local churches, or any other community organization would be a joke, because they have very poor roi both in terms of money and time. To consider it as part of an advertising program in my opinion would make poor business sense.

If you enjoy those actions, and they make you feel that you are contributing to a healthy community, and or it brings fulfillment to your life. then by all means go for it. and if it brings in a few extra jobs, that's great. I think of those jobs as an added bonus, not as a return on my investment.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The biggest referrals and business generator for the O/O and even larger comanies is Networking.

I get more work from my air duct cleaner and my carpet repair guy than almost any other source.

I don't wanna say where I'm getting all my business right now. lol

The meek shall inherit the earth but the bold create their own wealth.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Yea Google sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

It costs me .50 a day and I only made $1100 from it today.

I'm going back to parade floats and street banners.

Bob Foster

You're full of shit Brokum. With all the success you claim from your $500 staff lunchroom referral program and the gazillions you are making on Google generated business you should have more trucks running around than Ken Snow has. But you have time to post all day long and spout all the crap you just read somewhere else.

Read my statement again it said alternatives to Google.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bob Foster said:
You're full of shit Brokum. With all the success you claim from your $500 staff lunchroom referral program? and the gazillions you are making on Google generated business you should have more trucks running around than Ken Snow has. But you have time to post all day long and spout all the crap you just read somewhere else.

Read my statement again it said alternatives to Google.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Every marketing plan on here is right and everyone is wrong. It all depends on your market. Smaller communities tend to favor networking especially if your a smaller company. Larger companies in larger markets tend to do better with massive direct mail and other larger exposure.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
idreadnought said:
Every marketing plan on here is right and everyone is wrong. It all depends on your market. Smaller communities tend to favor networking especially if your a smaller company. Larger companies in larger markets tend to do better with massive direct mail and other larger exposure.

So true!!

What is right is what works for your company.

Company goals and demographics vary for every biz.

I do what works for me. Short week this week 1/2 day Friday and off Saturday to play and I still made plenty for me. (over 3k)

Can't complain.

1000 card going in mail to previous customers Saturday.

Many client reviews rolling in.

New helper 2 weeks ago.

People calling in from trade fair 2 weeks ago.

I do more than Google.

Just that Google kicks more ass in ROI.

S

sam miller

I'm # 3 to 4 In Lancaster Ca. on google place with 12 5 star reviews and I'll offer any customer a lifetime 10 percent discount for that review because they help rank me up but more Importantly people.

Dave's #1 in lincoln with 31 5 star rating's I'm just saying it cant hurt.

The only problem is getting people to register with google and thier type in the squiggly code crap.

I get about 10 off the internet a month right now, and people always say I saw the reviews!

Mikey P

Administrator
All those sort of things are important in your first few years to help with your branding.

10 years or more in it's just a waste of time and money. If you're community does not know your company by then, you're SOL.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Mikey P said:
All those sort of things are important in your first few years to help with your branding.

10 years or more in it's just a waste of time and money. If you're community does not know your company by then, you're SOL.
I've never done the "quote" thing but we will see how it looks. I disagree Mike. We have been in business for 33 years here and do community "stuff" all year long. donations of gift certificates to fundraisers, donate 3 days of gross to 1 big charity once a year, and on and on. I am constantly amazed at how many people who call and say "This is the type of company we want to support". I mean we have 3 big wrapped cube vans running around everyday in a small town and people don't know of us????? Well it just proves we are not as important as we think we are in our customers lives. As one of my suppliers once said "Hey, it's not rocket science, their mother in law is coming and they don't want to be embarassed about the condition of their carpets. They want the spots out and it to smell good" Jerry at Jon Don (formerly McDowell Supply).
Al

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I agree with the people who say it depends on where you are and most importantly WHO you are. Every customer that I have gone to has chosen me over someone else. I just came out of my first year, and did 216 jobs. ( give or take a few). In my area which is NYC, I have done well with just fliers, website and some google adwords stuff. Its super expensive to do the adwords..like totally not worth it. The best way I have gotten business is through referral. I show up on time, 97% of the time. If I am late, I call and it is never more than a few minutes. I am presentable, my prices are fair, and I have good personality. Mind you, I knew nothing about how to clean when i started..I worked for a shite cheapo company for 3 months before i borrowed money to get my machine. I wasted money on advertising in newspapers and direct mailings..there is such a high concentration of people here that its totally a waste of money to send out post cards etc. I can get out 25000 fliers in about 4 days. But as i said, its because of where i am..i get more business because of who I am.
I donate to school fundraisers for clients kids..and that's just like giving back etc. Before i took my classes and learned a lot from you guys, i roasted 2 couches, 1 carpeted apartment and 1 rug. I have not had any problems since..and those numbers are pretty good considering the amount of work i did. Advertising and stuff gets you there, who you are keeps you there and gets you more. There are SO MANY RIP OFF ARTISTS AND SCAMMERS IN OUR BUSINESS. The scumbags help me the most..just show you arent one of them and these people will tell everyone. Just my experience, sorry for the long post.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I'm # 3 to 4 In Lancaster Ca. on google place with 12 5 star reviews and I'll offer any customer a lifetime 10 percent discount for that review because they help rank me up but more Importantly people.

Dave's #1 in lincoln with 31 5 star rating's I'm just saying it cant hurt.

The only problem is getting people to register with google and thier type in the squiggly code crap.

I get about 10 off the internet a month right now, and people always say I saw the reviews!

Great job Both of you but I have never had to beg. I would never ask a person to register and review me. I have a tote ful of thank you letters and emails. Good enough to justify what i do. I don't need the propaganda. I don't want to shrink from multi employee to 1 like Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom