Don't Forget To Empty Your Waste Tanks!

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Yesterday I had some fun with DOT (actually they had some fun with me!). Got pulled over for a "routine" inspection, nothing routine about it! He put me through the entire thing checking my front Ty rod ends and questioning that liquid leaking from the front of the box (my new tech had left the fill Chemical hose on by accident for a minute at previous job). Then the conclusion with a weigh in. Oops I forgot to empty my waste tank last night after dual restaurant jobs. Filled up freshy tank in am and headed to 5 room job, remembered I had forgot to empty while setting on scales, ( I got a little nervous!). He motioned me back to the 2 DOT vehicles since a buddy showed up during this 40 minute ordeal, first thing he ask was I carrying a normal load of equip and supplies and I explained that I was carring about 150 gallons of extra dirty water from a job the previous night that I had forgot to empty. He explained the reason he ask was that I was within 50 lbs of my weight limit! He had me sign the 2 insp forms and said you have no violations and apologized used for detaining me so long. You can bet I won't forget again!

Name
Al
Billy
I take it you were driving the Votex?
Did you have the DOT inspection tag?
Did you have your DOT medical card?
MSD sheets?
Reflective triangles?
Fire Extinguisher?

I am not really drilling you but most on this board do not know what you must have to pass a DOT inspection. Also ANYONE that drives a carpet cleaning truck (any commercial vehicle) should be ready for this inspection.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Yeap Al I had it all. I have been inspected like 6 times in 3 years. City police provided me with a sticker for them so they won't (shouldn't) bother me for 3 months. However in all my stops I have never gone through one like this! Most do a quick check and issue the paperwork and your on your way in 10 minutes not 45. He even ask if I had a copy of my last inspection (which your required to keep a copy at the office) I even had a copy of it with me from July 28. I was in my V with dual waste tanks, that was the problem.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Last fall we had one box that didn't have the DOT number on it and they pulled us over.

She was ready to pounce on us until we showed her medical card, then she asked if we had a log book and triangle and fire extinguisher but didn't care to see them when tech answered yes.

She said get the DOT numbers on the truck and let us move on.

No you don't, not in my state anyway. carpet cleaning with-in the state you reside doesn't meet the definition of a interstate commerce and defiantly not motor carrier
A motor carrier is defined as one that transports property or passengers in support of interstate commerce for compensation.
Randy we used to be the same way here until someone in the state decided it would be a good fundraiser and the added all trucks over 12,000 lbs. thathurts

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Everytime I use the Interstates or the Ohio Turnpike, I see trucks pulled over. I get a little worried about them stopping me. I guess I should check into regs for CC vans.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Is there such low crime in some state they need to hassle the crap out of business for enforcement vs. concentrating on real crime?

Name
Al
I had a friend of mine that got a $400.00 ticket for running a weigh station. He was driving an unmarked pick-up and pulling a lettered 14 foot trailer. This was in Ga.

I got stopped in NC pulling a empty, lettered, 18 foot trailer with my Hummer (unmarked). They did a 45 min. inspection on my truck and trailer. They condemned my trailer for a weak battery on the break away switch and I could not move the trailer untill the battery was replaced AND they gave me $240.00 ticket. I was told ANY vehicle used for busness purpose must follow the DOT reg's. Every state enforces the laws different BUT when times are bad it is an open check book for them, yours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom