Don't you take time off?

dgargan

I went to block off memorial off on the schedule about 10 days ago and found full circle already had a job booked onthat Monday. I rarely book out over 7-10 days but this customer booked memorial day 3 weeks out. I asked Fc to reschedule her. The lady was mad and would not reschedule. Full circle said many of the cleaners they book for are cleaning on memorial day. I thought this was weird. Why are you guys working?

I may have lost a customer but this a paid day off for my employees and they should be with their family's.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I work thru many holidays and weekends, but NOT this one. I will work till late Thursday, and MAY start again next Tuesday.

Family canoe trip to Missouri.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Why not at least ask your employees to see if any would be interested in doing it for a premium rate! Pay 50% commission if you have to. You may not make any money, but then again, you won't lose a customer either!!

You may be surprised to find that you have people that could use the extra money. They could do that job first thing in the morning and still be able to attend family functions in the afternoon.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I went to make a sign we are closed for the Holiday and found out we have a busy Saturday. Large credit union, carpet, VCT and a ton of steps.

Oh well, no three day weekend. Sucks but we need the work too. Maybe they can take off Friday or Tuesday if they want off.

Mike Draper

I dont work any holidays and rarely ever weekends. Life is short and my time with my family is far more important than any amount of money I could make in a day cleaning carpet.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
dgargan said:
I may have lost a customer but this a paid day off for my employees and they should be with their family's.
Can't argue with that, Dave.

However, we used to work EVERY Memorial Day when we cleaned all the carpets in the local funeral home. Come to find out Memorial Day was the ONLY day of the year the cemetery was closed so it was the only day they didn't schedule funerals.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS We eased the pain for our employees by asking for volunteers and offering double time. We wound up letting them draw straws since ALL of the techs wanted the work. So much for "family time"... :)

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
This is the main reason I went into business for myself. I worked too many nights, weekends and holidays. When my first son was 2, I had to work on the 4th of July. The next morning he was trying to tell me about the fireworks with his limited vocabulary. That sucks. If I want a day off, I take it. I didn't book Friday so I could be at the school for an award ceremony.

Name
I'm Rick James
I didn't notice it and booked 1 med size job and 1 huge job.. so I got two on monday. :roll: Did the same thing last year.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Nope not anymore I got off the gerbil wheel a few years back. I've actually had customers leave voice messages at 8-9 pm on Saturday nights seeing if we where open to drop rugs off...really? Its during one of these I had an epiphany you could be open 7 days a week and you would still get the customer that would
complain because your not open at 2 am. I went the other direction 9:30- 5:30 M-F deal with it ...leave a key take a day off or call someone else.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're right Randy, people wil shake and rattle the door when I'm here at 7:00 or if I stop by to pickup something over the weekend.

In this business you can truly work around the clock if you wanted to. :roll:

Oh we do but we spread the load around so nobody is over worked unless they chose to be.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I really don't think David really cares WHY you people do or don't work that holiday. I certainly don't.

To actually answer his question, let me simply say ... I work it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm off tomorrow Piglet, just in case you're looking for me tomorrow.
I've got to level the ground to get ready to put up the kids pool this weekend. (in case you wanted to know what I was doing. :p )

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i take time off to David. i am in full control of booking jobs. of course i am small-time to, so no need for me to hire someone to schedule my clients in.

hogjowl

Idiot™
rattle can red said:
I'm off tomorrow Piglet, just in case you're looking for me tomorrow.
I've got to level the ground to get ready to put up the kids pool this weekend. (in case you wanted to know what I was doing. :p )

Are you going to have your brother inflate that pool for you this year, or are you going to do it yourself?

dgargan

I do offer my guys the option to work at time and a half but they never do and I don't blame them. One loves to go camping so he takes all the long weekends he can the others would rather be with their family, grilling out, going to the lake or just being home relaxing. I was just surprised when Full Circle told me several of their clients were working.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
no plans to work Monday
But that could change in a week.
mostly contingent on whether we're behind or not

dgargan said:
I was just surprised when Full Circle told me several of their clients were working.

maybe they belong to a religious sect that don't do holidays?

on a serious note...
when you sign up with FC , don't they ask what your scheduling guidelines are?
Like no appointments after 5pm or weekends?
...or none on NATIONAL HOLIDAYS ??

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've worked holidays but try not to. I'm not married and my daughter has her own life and work is just as good to me for something to do. Since our country's birthday falls on July 1st I've worked many of those. I take Sundays off consistently but even then I've worked when it was necessary. We had our holiday yesterday and I worked, but it was in my backyard.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Im taking off Friday to get a good dock spot at Kelleys Island. Juniors got a few empties to do. And Im taking monday off.

mcatt

Name
Mike
I'm taking it off as it's a family holiday for us this year. Hope you all have a great holiday. Beach for us!

Gary Taylor

Some time over the weekend I need to do a quarterly carpet cleaing for a bank. Only doing it this weekend becauce I have been on vacation and need to get it in to stay on schedule. Haven't decided what day. Hoping its the day my wife decides to plant flowers.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
dgargan said:
I do offer my guys the option to work at time and a half but they never do and I don't blame them.

I was looking ahead at the 4th of July holiday and thought about this quote again. I don't blame your staff for not wanting to work that for time and a half. Raise the stakes though and make it worth their while and you may find the guy could really use the extra money.

You made the judgement for your employees that they wouldn't work a few hours in the morning, make enough money to replace their leaky hot water heater and still be home in time to relax and enjoy the day.

We pay our cleaners commission and I would have paid up to 50% of the total job to get it done and not lose the customer. You throw that amount of money at a guy and he will find a way to get it done and still have plenty of time to go home, pick up the family and spend the day at the beach!!

And the bonus is, the 50% you made still more then covered your variable costs AND you keep the customer!!

Don't get me wrong, we don't go out of our way to schedule work on holidays, but if somehow it HAD to be done, we would get it done and everyone would be happy!!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Mike Draper said:
I dont work any holidays and rarely ever weekends. Life is short and my time with my family is far more important than any amount of money I could make in a day cleaning carpet.

thats why on weekdays that there is no work you treat it like a SAT....

i can work as much as i want....which is coming up...cuz hey i am GOING somewhere and the antenna went up...

but its also whats nice...work 1 or 2 jobs...be back home mow the lawn etc...which i gotta go do...

or kick back and get a quicky in...if you have a stay at home wife hey now hey now hey now hey now hey now

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom