Dry Strokin'

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Question for the blower experts here. I always add an extra dry stroke when cleaning, especially in residential jobs.

Here's the question:

Should you lift the wand at the end of a stroke, or keep it glued to the floor until you've completed your dry passes? Does it make any difference in lift to break the wand to floor seal at the end of your stroke? I usually don't, but I also use a "backsaver" on all my wands.

What are u doing?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Pull straight back, sometimes slower than some do, ONE pass. Pick up and reset wand for next stroke.

I switched four years ago after decades otherwise. Better results, less tiring. Still good dry time.

405 w/ 47 blower, two inch Bentley wand. 400psi.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Lee Stockwell said:
I seldom "dry stroke". Don't do triangles either.

For some reason, my custys "like" the triangle.

On a plush or heavy, thick carpet, I leave the wand nailed down on dry strokes. On commercials, I usually break the seal to move it over.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I'm with Lee, notice less stress on the back and fast dry times with just a pull back stroke.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Pushing the wand is the energy taker...But with a backsaver I never saw an issue.

I don't break the plane when wanding

I do a double overlap, triangle backing the entry door...This gives a great look, better dry times because you allow for wicking stopage and it really does clean better.

I should patent it.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Brian R said:
Pushing the wand is the energy taker...But with a backsaver I never saw an issue.

I don't break the plane when wanding

I do a double overlap, triangle backing the entry door...This gives a great look, better dry times because you allow for wicking stopage and it really does clean better.

I should patent it.

Good idea, Brian. Patent that idea!! You know, somebody already patented or copyrighted the term "hi flow" carpet cleaning.

John Watson

Sactly like Lee, to old and tired to lift. Miss Wanda doesn't like the highstep moves either, says it makes her Bra come loose!!!!

clean one

I have been in the habit of lifting at the end of my dry stroke. And i over lap also depending where i'm cleaning in a home or empty apt. In a home i do a couple of dry strokes in a nasty apt i sometimes do a dry stroke by habit by try not to.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
the wand should stay on the carpet at all times. you will have more vacuum which removes more water.

gene

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
With a backsaver keep it down. I always did a minimum of one dry stroke, sometimes 2 or 3 depending on how many wet strokes I had to make.

Take care,
Lisa

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm not sure what Lee means when he says he picks up the wand at the end of every stroke, but if he means he lifts the wand off the floor and moves it (while off the ground) to reposition it ... then I disagree with his technique. The wand should stay on the floor at all times. Lifting it places too much stress on the lower back. However, I am not in favor of keeping it locked down under pressure while attempting to move it forward. If I get even the slightest resistance, I will tip it over on it's edge before moving it forward.

I run glideless on most jobs.

Name
Lee Stockwell
That's exactly what Bane taught me almost 30 years ago, as it also conserved the very limited vacuum available then.

However that's not the case now. The Bentley is very light, and easy to flick up into position for the next pass, less than a second off the carpet and very easy on my back.

I have plenty of CFM so lift recovery is very quick. This may not work with a lower performance machine. It does for us.

S

sam miller

I leave z's in the carpet and never lift it up I prefer glided unless Im using a 2 jet aw29 the backgammon design reminds me of Z best!

I to use a 405 with 2.5 to the door and 2 inch to the wand! I never dual wand and will use high gear with my ti wand in alot of places with 1 inch extenders and a 12 flow and a green hybrid glide. killer wand when theres alot of SQ ft to do,!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I can see NOT doing a forward stroke without a backsaver.

But I like the patterns too much.

Unless you are going to groom :roll:

Nobody wants to see straight columns after cleaning...I think it looks trashy.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
This is kinda half assed grooming because it was a rental

But it gives an idea of how to pattern a carpet when cleaned correctly.....It's a groomer, not a wand....So it's not as consistent...Don't hold it against ...I don't have an example of a wanded room.

Shipley082711.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell
Justin is 30, Jonathan 27. I get the wand about 10 percent of the time.

Will do video later this week.

The triangles are sometimes useful to disguise stained carpet or shoddy work.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Things such as triangles continue to be a part of this industry for a reason.

They work.

Telling us otherwise is the same as trying to convince us that you need a Chemstractor to clean with a TM, a Rotovac is a must have tool, or that you simply must have a dust-downer and a turbo head on your vac line to vacuum properly.

Every-now-and-then ... a dinosaur will still appear on the scene.

I'm only about 15 years behind you Lee. I hope somebody pulls my lap top out of my arthritic hands by then.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
You guys really think you're rinsing all your prespray out with 1 stroke? I always do at least 2. Sometimes straight strokes, sometimes triangles. Never had a complaint about either.

Able 1

Name
Keith
KevinL said:
You guys really think you're rinsing all your prespray out with 1 stroke? I always do at least 2. Sometimes straight strokes, sometimes triangles. Never had a complaint about either.

They are just doing what they HAVE TO as there bodies fall to shit and have no back up plan... Yeah the TI wand is a big ol' POS cause it does what it was meant to do "suck".. Just cause you two are old as hell and can't push a "real" wand the right way don't come here and say it's no good... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom