Dual wanding.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
And to answer some of your questions:

I wanna ask something....
Okay on vwtm at 50' 2 runs of 2.5 each hose is at 280-295 cfm+- each
But when placing my hand over one hose the lift is minimal meaning the airflow goes more to unblocked hose. I understand this but here is 1st ?

When wands are placed on end of hose runs does that equal out or balance the airflow/vacuum?
Not so much balances, it’s just a matter of restriction. A single 2.5” open hose will flow a lot of CFM. When you block one hose all the air (5-600 CFM) must flow through the other one, and it does so with little pressure drop. Adding a wand severely restricts the opening, flows less air, which increases the vacuum level at the other hose.

Does the size of wand matter head width/ tube size?
Sure. Larger tubes and wider heads naturally pose less of a restriction, and will flow more air.

I don't imagine you're running 2.5" to the wand, right? Adding a length of 2" hose will also help your scenario, in that it adds some more restriction (flows less than a 2.5" hose). Testing with two lengths of 2.5" is worst-case, because at your CFM it poses a low restriction.

Reactions: TConway

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I don't get it?

You can get 16" of lift with the wands open (off the carpet)?

It is very difficult to maintain 16" of lift at the truck with two wands with 2" hose, off the carpet.

That means that 16" of lift are dropped from the TM to the open wands.

Larry

Last edited:

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I don't get it?

You can get 16" of lift with the wands open (off the carpet)?

Well, it depends. Twin 45's (what Tom is running) are theoretically capable of 332 CFM each at full speed. If each wand/hose combo flows less than this then yes, it's possible.

It depends a lot on the setup. If the hose runs are very short, and the wands are pretty free-flowing, then probably not.

A 100' run of 2" hose will flow about 350 CFM open (no wand), and adding a wand reduces this, so, it's certainly possible, especially if the wands are glided.

I think it was Larry C. that recently said he measured about 200 CFM flow through a single wand. If this was measured on the carpet, then 250-ish would certainly be in the realm of possibility off the carpet, and Tom's blowers could probably keep up.

A true dual-wand machine has to have a pretty hefty CFM capacity to accomplish this, which is probably why 68's/6M's are all the rage these days....

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
This is the first job running dual wands, I know it is very small but we have a job next weekend that is perfect for it. My Vw TM is set at lowest rpms to operate at 2000-2500, we can go as high as 3400 this is really the best rpm for the motor to cool, but because I added the forced air radiator fan my bug guy says cooling at lower rpms will be no issue. Also 2500 is the cut off point for the idle circuit so if I keep it at 2500 or less my fuel usage is comparable to my 20 hp running at 3300.
The weather was to crappy to play with cfm meter today but I was really shocked at how well it did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdVs9fRiwwQ

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
This is kinda the way the day went 03 jets clogged to hell and I didn't notice but I had a clear piece of plastic straw that got sucked into my glide and was blocking the holes I flipped it over but it was so sucked up I couldn't see till I got done cleaning the jets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8Kz4nwptI

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Told Becker here I would try a dual wand set up. See my above post on the specifics of my machine etc. The only thing I couldn't accomplish was the amount of vac hose. Didn't realize I only had 225 total.

So, my customer (also a good friend) agreed to help me. Ran 100ft of 2" to 18ft 1 1/2" whip then 1 1/2" glided 2-jet. 125' to my 2" glided 4-jet. Both of us in same room. I was amazed that I was dual wanding and both glides were screaming. Loaded both with water and still pulling hard.

Reactions: Bob Savage

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
. . . I would try a dual wand set up. See my above post on the specifics of my machine etc. The only thing I couldn't accomplish was the amount of vac hose. Didn't realize I only had 225 total.

So, my customer (also a good friend) agreed to help me. Ran 100ft of 2" to 18ft 1 1/2" whip then 1 1/2" glided 2-jet. 125' to my 2" glided 4-jet. Both of us in same room. I was amazed that I was dual wanding and both glides were screaming. Loaded both with water and still pulling hard.

Your #47 blower can handle the 14" & 12" wands. Do you know the maximum lift your machine has when sealed ??

Your 14" wand was probably flowing ~200 CFM and the 1.5" wand with lead hose was ~150 CFM.

So total CFM was ~350 or so. The remaining CFM was flowing thru the relief valve.

This CFM total thru the dual hoses @ 125 ft. should not have lost an excessive amount of lift,

so the cleaning should be fairly good.

Thanks for the report.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom