Dustin's box truck/AT shelving, storage and insulating adventure :P

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
If anyone is interested Ill post pics as I keep modifying my truck. Still a fair bit of organizing/ shelving needs to go up as does some more winterizing.

Might be handy to bounce ideas off others as well. There are allot of areas that could be utilized better.

yes no?

Last edited:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
wanted a shelf above the water tank but made sure it left enough room so I could easily fit gallon chem jugs under it :)
2x6 used construction adhesive and screwed it in place
2013-10-15135009.jpg

Filled in the area around it with 2" r12.1 Reflective insulation
2013-10-15183117.jpg

Installed 4'x15" heavy duty shelf, but first covered the 2x6 with reflective material ( looks better too)
Then installed metal sheeting over the insulation in the shelf area and beside the water tank as this insulation isn't that tough. Ill probably hang things like yardsticks, door wedges etc from the bottom of the rack
20131016_140336.jpg

Last edited:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
temporary solution but instead of hanging extra hose off the recovery tank handles I wanted it in the corner. Hoses rest mainly on the floor so not much weight on it.
Muffler clamp with electrical tape :)
20131017_182512.jpg
works great. Where are you guys hanging extra line?
20131017_183614.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
Are you parking your truck indoors as well? What a hassle to deal with those temps, I feel for ya.

Keep the pics coming Dustin, thanks for doing this!

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Did you undercoat the floor and up the walls any before ya started?

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Not sure about heated storage..place I was using jacked their prices sky high. I have some tricks up my sleeve though ;) once I'm done it will be insulated better then a 2x4 wall shop. Still looking though.
1000square shops are around $1600/month. Searching for a 300-500sq place.

The floor was spray foamed by previous owner. Most of the walls have rigid r7 on them now, but that is changing.

sent via tapatalk.

Last edited:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Before I put up extra insulation thoughts on this spinner location? Can't mount it there vertical due to the equipment I sometimes carry.

20131019_180421-1.jpg

sent via tapatalk.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Very nice Dustin it looks good.

I also like the secure, cave man feel of it.

And if you do have a wife...... and if it ever comes to it........ you will have a place to stay after all.

Though, on second thought, it is Canada and winter is coming.

So, as a general rule do stay on your wife's good side....but we do understand the drive for perfect insulation :winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleantechsk

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Think I'll wait for that mounting spot till next year. I'll try something else first.

Side done today. Went from R6 to r13 on drivers side. Either putting more of that metal stuff up for protection or the carpet that was previously there.

20131020_123045.jpg

20131021_125811.jpg

sent via tapatalk.

Last edited:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin

already have one ;) viewable in this video
webasto st2000
but....still need to hold the heat in there so it doesn't run 24 hours a day on max

Once all the insulation is done its getting a complete cleaning inside!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0y4htkwXtU&hd=1

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
awesome how does the diesel heater work for you? i have maybe 1 month that we have to worry about 20 to low 30's and have been using space heater with great luck. in other words i am not practicing what i preach on the diesel heater lol. i had purchased a 20k btu military diesel heater a while back but have yet to install due to it being 24volts and not being able to find the accessories for installing like thermostat etc...

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
20 f (-6.6c) is no problem for it. How well insulated is your vehicle though?
Currently at night it's hitting 20f and the heater kicks in for around 5 min every hour and a half now.
I would suggest installing a battery tender.
I'm doing that next week and I'll update that here.

sent via tapatalk.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
no messing around this year .....

impossible to find a commercial grade 110, so went straight to 4800 watt 240 volt 30 amp power!

This heater kept my garage warm for my old TM in a 24x20 garage with 2x4 walls. This box has more insulation then the garage does so.... :)

2013-10-23144314.jpg

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
heater will stay there for now but I think ill fabricate a more permanent location out of the way for it....

I don't use AT's filters so I am thinking about taking those off and using the mount location and fabricate a metal shelf. Then just wrap the 2.5" hose coming off the tank in header heat material. Thoughts?

2013-10-23154615.jpg

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Not sure about heated storage..place I was using jacked their prices sky high. I have some tricks up my sleeve though ;) once I'm done it will be insulated better then a 2x4 wall shop. Still looking though.
1000square shops are around $1600/month. Searching for a 300-500sq place.

The floor was spray foamed by previous owner. Most of the walls have rigid r7 on them now, but that is changing.

sent via tapatalk.
Holy cow, 1600hundred a month is crazy expensive. I pay 260 bucks a month for around a thousand feet. I guess up north they know they can charge it because heated storage is a must for most contractors. Man at that price you might do better just looking to buy a building or even build your own.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
it should be illegal how much they charge lol
Yes the plan is to just buy a shop/rug plant? Ill do it this way for a little while

So was inside the truck with all the doors closed to check how the roll up door was ..... not the greatest
it was letting a ton of light and of course cold air in!
2013-10-25145000.jpg

checked the door and sure enough it wasn't adjusted right from the factory - Half inch out at the top.
noticeable in the pic
2013-10-24095147.jpg

adjusted the top bracket so the door was pushed tight up to the cable
2013-10-25155645.jpg

still a tiny bit of light showing so went the extra step and added exterior weather stripping
zero light coming in now :)
2013-11-03133001.jpg

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
heater will stay there for now but I think ill fabricate a more permanent location out of the way for it....

I don't use AT's filters so I am thinking about taking those off and using the mount location and fabricate a metal shelf. Then just wrap the 2.5" hose coming off the tank in header heat material. Thoughts?

2013-10-23154615.jpg

Are your filters 2.5"? I may could use those if you want to sell/get rid of them. I'm pretty sure they will fit in mine. :clap::clap:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
I might part with them. Send me your offer via pm :)

Well -40 last night and the truck is still a toasty 16c(61f) inside :D

Insulation is great except the roll up door, which I bet is lightly insulated at best.

So, having a insulated canvas or denim type cover being made soon to snap in place and cover the entire area. Which will be handy too when out working, just unsnap a corner then pull the hoses out. Should greatly help all the cold air rushing into the truck too!'

pics eventually... might even get my giant logo embroidered into it as well if possible.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So, having a insulated canvas or denim type cover being made soon to snap in place and cover the entire area. Which will be handy too when out working, just unsnap a corner then pull the hoses out. Should greatly help all the cold air rushing into the truck too!'

pics eventually... might even get my giant logo embroidered into it as well if possible.
That's a great idea. I'd definitely like to see pictures

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom