Dyson @ MF

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm looking forward to see how Bozo The Vacuum performs against the others in our testing.

Last week I was actually very impressed with the Dyson I got to mess around with at a clients home. No one was home so I was tinkering with it and goofed by pulling the dirt cup's trap door open on a wood floor. Plop goes a foot ball sized lump or two of pet hair.
I took off the accessory hose which has way more suck then the Lindhaus or Bissell BTW and with two passes I cleaned up that huge mess. Twice it looked like I was trying to suck a poodle through a straw and with in a few seconds. POP! down it went...Very impressive.

Lot's of cheap plastic, a brush roll that looks like it doesn't contact the fiber but lots o' suck.

Mikey P

Administrator
Do you feel it really works and grooms the fibers Dirk?

Without a pile height setting I would think it wouldn't work on extream highs and lows...?

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Yes, it's self adjusting. Sounds like marketing I know, but it works. I have had problems on really long fibers though. They get caught up and the roll starts making a horrible ratcheting noise. That has happened once and now I know what to avoid.

I'd love to see them make a commercial version available in the U.S.

Jimbo

I got rid of the dyson I had at home...and replaced it a hoover windtunnel self-propelled with bags it rocks..

-JB-

Name
JB
Those are some KRAZEE cheap prices all right!

dysoneatsshark.jpg

How many inches of water lift do they pull?

Attachments

• dysoneatsshark.jpg
    dysoneatsshark.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 175

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the problem that people have with the dyson is that they don't do there homework and get the cheapest one on the market (yellow dyson not the yellow DC14)..

I have had mine going on 2 years now purple model for animal hair and it has not missed a beat.......figure I am pulling it out everyday at least 3 times and some days more plus 5 to 6 days a week and it is still running strong and out doing most out there.........

I had a house last year that either had way to much gravity or I just lost my happy thought some where but I dropped it down a flight of stairs and did not hurt it one bit...

IMO best vacuum out there..........................

Greenie

What about that whole... "It puts a years worth of wear on the fiber in one cleaning" ?

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I don't know about the wear on the carpet claim people are making, but I know it picks up a lot of crap. My kids have asthma and I believe that it makes a difference. We use it daily in the house and I am amazed at how much it picks up each time. The plastic is actually very durable. the one on the truck takes a pretty good beating. The cord is also very high quality. I am looking forward to hearing about the results from the suck off at mikeyfest.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have one of those huge 5000 pound Pile lifters collecting dust in the garage....That thing has got to be the most aggressive machine out there as far as what it can do to the fibers......

we have had a Dyson in our home longer then I have had on on the truck...My carpet is 3 years old.....We have one 3 year old with sippy cup problems.
a black lab that sneezes and sheds and a mange cat around here some where.......Tia vacuums at least every other day and I clean it about every other month......Carpet looks brand new as the day it was installed...

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
my yellow DC07 rocks. like i've said, it wins with suction over the Bissel (or any upright vac i've had except some canister/backpack vac's). it loses in agitation over the Bissel.

from my research, the only difference in the dc07 and the purple, is 1 attachment, and possibly the purple brush strip is more agressive than the yellow, but not certain on that.

oh and purple "animal" is 100$ more :shock:

thanx --- Derek.

BTW, i agree Dirk, a commercial model would be the cat's meow. with a 2-3 times larger dust cup!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you look at the picture above.. .by the orange looking knob you will see a wider port area for picking up larger objects.......this is on the 14 models.......
the regular Dyson does not have that it has the straight bar all the way across ........also the 14 model has the more stiffer beater bar.........weather it is yellow or purple..............don't know about the attachments.....this came straight from Dyson when I was looking for on for the truck..........

FYI go to ebay and type in dyson and you can almost always find brand new ones of any model you want for 100's less then the store prices......brand new still in unopened boxes........

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've had a purple one on my truck for, I guess, around 2 or 3 years. The very first week I used it I twisted the handle to roll it around a corner while vacuuming and broke off one of the tabs in the handle. Since then the handle is a little loose.

After about a year of use I developed a hole in the tube from putting the handle attachment back down into the tube.

The part of the machine that has the holes in it that fits down into the dirt cup builds up junk in it and eventually clogs up the holes. I have to take a clothes hanger and run it through the holes to clean them out, because I am afraid to run water through them.

You have to be very careful with a Dyson while vacuuming looped pile olefin carpets because it will pick a loose tuft and wrap it around the brush roller before you know it.

But, even with all those little problems I have had with it, I can honestly say it has been the best vacuum I have ever bought. I'd buy another one without a second thought.

Scott

At Pemberton's Winterfest '05, Carey Mitchell from Shaw was talking about the CRI Green Label program for vacuums and said in their testing the Dyson Animal created one year's worth of wear with only 6 passes. I don't recall him talking about other Dyson units, just the Animal.

Scott

Mikey P

Administrator
I dont see why, the brush roll is no more aggressive then any other as far as I can tell..

Actually less so it appears.
The bristles barely protrude from the head.

Could be the massive suck pulls the fibers into far, but I doubt it.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
From what I've seen, the difference between the yellow one and animal version is simply the attachments that come with it.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
there are 2 different yellows a dyson and the dc14......

I will see if I can find pictures

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
dyson001.jpg

The one on the left is the animal and the one on the right is obiously the yellow one. They both say DC07. The one one the left has all of the fancy attachments for pet hair.

dyson003.jpg

This one is the DC14. It came with a few more attachments than the yellow one and I think works better. It stays in the house.

Attachments

• dyson001.jpg
    dyson001.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 180
  • dyson003.jpg
    dyson003.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 181

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ok this is a dyson regular not to fancy notice the straight vacuum chamber
there is no wide port and it is more a yellow color but this is the only picture I could find that is a straight shot

Dyson-DC07std.jpg

this is a DC14 notice the wide port to the right of the orange knob

DC14.jpg

this is also a DC14 but for animal hair.....same as the yellowDC14 but not sure on the attachments............

M_11635_DC14animal.jpg

the smaller dyson is not really made for hard work it is more of a 1 bed room apartment type thing the DC14 are more durable and built to handle more
stronger vacuum and tougher beater bars..........

Attachments

• Dyson-DC07std.jpg
    Dyson-DC07std.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 170
  • DC14.jpg
    DC14.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 176
  • M_11635_DC14animal.jpg
    M_11635_DC14animal.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 165

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
holy shit how many damn colors are out there
purple has always been animal hair and I just went to there site and that is what they still specify

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
we haven't even brought in the ball version!!!!!

I guess I shouldn't have bought them from that oriental swap meet.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Mikey:

Use the damn thing for a few times and you'll get the picture regarding the brush roller.

Clean the roller after a week of using it, and look at the unbelievable amount of hair that is welded around it. And, pulling the hair out of the bristles is like pulling teeth.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I have a four (4) year old Dyson DCO4

This gets used 5/6 days a week, between 4 & 6 jobs a day.

I broke a drive belt the first week I had it when I ran over some wire, (my fault).

Dyson sent me 3 new belts, free of charge.

I decided I would replace my lifetime hepa filter after 3 years, I still have the old one as a back-up.

Regular filters are washable.

I bought a new roller bar, but after comparing it to the new one, I really should not have bothered.

A couple of months ago, I broke the plastic handle when I twisted the machine, my dumb fault again.

Dyson sent me a new one AU$25 landed in Cairns.

We don't pull any hair, etc; out from the roller bar, we run a razor blade along the bar slicing all the hair etc; it is then very easy to remove the garbage.

Cheers,

Shorty.

Greenie

the 14s have the Roots pointed the opposite direction, what is up with that?

Theyt still look like clown vacs and susie homemaker specials you would buy at walmart.

Any word on when a "professional" model will hit the US market?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Shorty:

Now why would you only tell half the truth about cleaning the brush. I, TOO, use a razor blade to cut the hair before removing it; however, the hair STILL has to be pulled free of the brushes, and the brushes don't want to let go.

But, all of this is beside the point. The point IS, the darn brushes DO engage the carpet and DO help remove soils, which was the issue that Mikey brought up.

Mikey P

Administrator
On my Sanitaires if I lean back the vacuum slowly it will bring the carpet or rug up with it to a certain extent.

Will the Dyson do that?

With the big time suck coming from the hose I would imagine it could.

Do you notice a nice grooming effect?

The Lindhaus surprisingly does not. Considering how fast it's roll spins I expected better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom