Electric hose reel

aaronjumps

Name
Aaron Brown
I am currently working with a manual hose reel and am thinking about getting an electric one. My major rub is not winding up the hose at the end of the job, but the reel free spinning when I am flaking it out at the beginning of the job.

The answer seems to be an electric reel.

Do you like the electric reels? If so is there one you prefer, and why?

Is there another (cheaper) answer for stopping a manual hose reel from free spinning?

Name
Nate W.
Put playing cards by the spokes like childhood times riding bikes..

Most just have a little lever or latch basically stopping the reel from turning..

I love my powered hose reel that I converted.. It's about $500 in parts to convert a reel..

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It's a must have for owner ops. You're wanding all day, the last thing you want to do when you're tired is roll up that vac hose. I waited 14years before I bought mine. don't worry about how much it costs. Just get one. The one from steamaction is the most impressive. And there's a dude in Atlanta that makes one similar. I can't remember his name. Someone on here can highlite on that. He made crappy garagemade truck mounts before he switched to hose reels

Mikey P

Administrator
It's a must have for owner ops. You're wanding all day, the last thing you want to do when you're tired is roll up that vac hose. I waited 14years before I bought mine. don't worry about how much it costs. Just get one. The one from steamaction is the most impressive. And there's a dude in Atlanta that makes one similar. I can't remember his name. Someone on here can highlite on that. He made crappy garagemade truck mounts before he switched to hose reels
Duane Oxley.

Stay away

aaronjumps

Name
Aaron Brown
Put playing cards by the spokes like childhood times riding bikes..

Most just have a little lever or latch basically stopping the reel from turning..

I love my powered hose reel that I converted.. It's about $500 in parts to convert a reel..
What did you do to convert it? Seems like it would be reasonably straight forward with a electric motor, sprocket, and a welder

Name
Nate W.
What did you do to convert it? Seems like it would be reasonably straight forward with a electric motor, sprocket, and a welder
This was back in 2014, so prices might be different..

This is all from Hanny reels part store..

Small sprocket(1-5/16 long) $21.00
Part Number 9910-1118

Large Sprocket(13-3/8)
Part Number 9910-1321

Chain: just get it from your local hardware store

An-239 Motor (12V DC Face mount) 1/5HP 400rpm(it's really 420rpm just misprint on site) $250
Part Number 9915-0040

Capped push button switch( don't go cheap on this one! Make sure if you don't go with this one get one that is for DC or it could stick, and beat the hell out of you with the hose) :lol: $15.00
Part Number 9917-0004

25 amp breaker: If you want to save money this is where it can be done. I like the breaker, but a blade fuse would work fine also.. $44.00
Part Number 9917-0023

12 volt solenoid $25.00
Part Number 9917-0025

Motor mounting plate(I bought this just for a template for my mounting plate).
9923-0006

Reactions: FredC
Name
Nate W.
I have a push button switch and also an air bulb foot switch that I use which makes it easier to keep 2 hands on the rag..

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
In my opinion, an electric reel is one more thing to go wrong. I am 63 this year and have no problem rolling up hoses on a manual reel. Hell, on my other truck I don't even have a reel. I coil and hang my hoses. Takes no time at all. Electric reels are for wimps and nerds.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
Electric reels are for wimps and nerds.
well I guess Im a wimp and nerd. I tore a back muscle after a long day of cleaning back in the day. Electric hose reel is like putting a glide on a wand.

Best electric hose reel is a Water Pond, hands down. Comes with a free water tank! IMG_3868(1).jpg

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
The other option is no reel at all. Seen guys master the figure 8 coil and really makes sense. coil it up, proper velcro strap, and ready to bring it to the far end of the next job. Im considering this myself on my next truck. the Chevy Van with a slide in could use a little space.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
well I guess Im a wimp and nerd. I tore a back muscle after a long day of cleaning back in the day. Electric hose reel is like putting a glide on a wand.

Best electric hose reel is a Water Pond, hands down. Comes with a free water tank!View attachment 116718
Doesn't make sense that you tore a back muscle rolling up the hose on a reel. Probably tore it on that long day slogging the wand but didn't feel it until the end when you had to wrap things up. My reel is right beside my side door. It's well balanced and easy to roll.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The other option is no reel at all. Seen guys master the figure 8 coil and really makes sense. coil it up, proper velcro strap, and ready to bring it to the far end of the next job. Im considering this myself on my next truck. the Chevy Van with a slide in could use a little space.
That's exactly what I do on my cds.

Reactions: Mike J

aaronjumps

Name
Aaron Brown

Best electric hose reel is a Water Pond, hands down. Comes with a free water tank!View attachment 116718
I found a screaming deal on a water pond a while back, like 2k for the 6k unit but could not find a way to make it work in my van without completely ripping everything out and putting it back together. Maybe on the next van.

Reactions: FB7777
F

FB7777

Don’t listen to Ron

Actually , I take that back ….

listen to all his thoughts and you will be successful….

By doing the exact opposite 😂

• Haha
Reactions: aaronjumps
F

FB7777

Says the nerdy wimp.
I bet Hagopian runs all electric reels for their guys

And sell their units at 5-6 years

Perhaps they should follow your lead and run 20 year old garbage and pile their hoses on the rust covered floor 😂

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I bet Hagopian runs all electric reels for their guys

And sell their units at 5-6 years

Perhaps they should follow your lead and run 20 year old garbage and pile their hoses on the rust covered floor 😂
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
For a 20 year old van, it's in great shape. The reel is so easy to turn I don't need any help. Different if your reel is mounted deeper in the truck. One of the things to think about is, what happens if your electric reel malfunctions? Blows a breaker or fuse? How difficult is it now to manually roll up your hoses connected to an electric drive motor? Can you easily disconnect the motor from the reel?

PXL_20220721_143036098.jpg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
For a 20 year old van, it's in great shape. The reel is so easy to turn I don't need any help. Different if your reel is mounted deeper in the truck. One of the things to think about is, what happens if your electric reel malfunctions? Blows a breaker or fuse? How difficult is it now to manually roll up your hoses connected to an electric drive motor? Can you easily disconnect the motor from the reel?

View attachment 116760
Disconnect the belt and it's just as easy as a reel without the motor.

F

FB7777

You have no idea what you're talking about.
So Hagopian doesn’t churn their trucks every 5-6 years or have electric reels?

Im not the clueless one there Mr broke truck Chuck 😂

Regarding your heap…. Your picture confirms EXACTLY what I’m talking about

Your Debby downer ‘what if’ scenarios are why you fly solo and are afraid to expand ( more likely intellectually incapable )

Electric reels rarely if ever malfunction… which is why most successful operations utilize them

$6200 today in 90 degree heat and all 3 electric reels worked flawlessly :headbang:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So Hagopian doesn’t churn their trucks every 5-6 years or have electric reels?

Im not the clueless one there Mr broke truck Chuck 😂

Regarding your heap…. Your picture confirms EXACTLY what I’m talking about

Your Debby downer ‘what if’ scenarios are why you fly solo and are afraid to expand ( more likely intellectually incapable )

Electric reels rarely if ever malfunction… which is why most successful operations utilize them

$6200 today in 90 degree heat and all 3 electric reels worked flawlessly :headbang:
Brag, brag brag and put other people down. Typical Bostonian Boyleness.

Name
Nate W.
In 7y ears of my diy powered hose reel, I had to push the 25amp breaker in 3 times to reset it.. When I had it manual, I hated it because the slide-in TM was right there..

If you can afford it, get it.. If not, carry on.. You’ll get it done one way or another.. But why work harder than you need?

Guys still hand-coil/carry their lead hoses in.. The reel just gets them to the front door..

Reactions: Cleanworks

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You do you, but you'll have to narrow down what you mean by success.

Seeing an electric reel is definitely the exception, and mostly the ones I've seen came with a water pond reel. It would be interesting to hear from some suppliers to see if that's changing.

For most, O/Os, the tiny bit of ease doesn't justify the cost. For people with techs, a power reel just adds another complication and potential injury point.

Our techs have never made an even passing comment about difficulty in rolling up hose with a manual reel, and we have some oldsters, so I'm OK with not buying them.

Name
Nate W.
You do you, but you'll have to narrow down what you mean by success.

Seeing an electric reel is definitely the exception, and mostly the ones I've seen came with a water pond reel. It would be interesting to hear from some suppliers to see if that's changing.

For most, O/Os, the tiny bit of ease doesn't justify the cost. For people with techs, a power reel just adds another complication and potential injury point.

Our techs have never made an even passing comment about difficulty in rolling up hose with a manual reel, and we have some oldsters, so I'm OK with not buying them.

Your guys don’t use glides either?!? :clap:

They don’t know what their missing if they always done it a certain way..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom