Employeeeeees?

Mr.cleansalot

Name
JAMES FISHER
:dejection: so I always looked up to a boss I had in the past he had it going on 5 vans jobs decent employees etc. He now lives by mikey btw .
Wel in 11 years I've been through over 150 guys and a few gals I'm giving up and selling all but 2 vans . I guess I'm not good at managing people I do have high standards and trust issues .
As of now I'm dealing with a guy that I've known for 15 plus years worked for us 3 of those and got back on drugs went down hill fast I let him go 2 weeks ago and still dealing with the b.s. .
I fired him for no call no show now he's trying g to collect unemployment and harassing me as far as stalker type stuff lol its sad .
He's in our commercial i had no plans to let him go .
I'm over it anyone delt with this ?

• Sad
Reactions: DAT and Kenny Hayes

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Yes! Last year, I had one that was worse than all my other flakes put together. He knew I was gonna fire him, so he came up #hurt. It was a funny ass story, and I didn’t have to fire him, but it took probably 4 weeks to flick him off.
By the way, now’s a good time to let let him draw unemployment, it’s not charged to you🤷🏼‍♂️

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
From what I see on here and other successful businesses: If you don't have close relatives that can work for you or preppy university students to market the job to locally...then it'll be hard to get anyone reliable from Facebook or off the street

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
On my floor care side, I have a young 59 retired 7-11 manager and a 42 yr. old that his wife makes bank, that I throw a young donk in to help and that
works great for me. They do jani to stay engaged.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
From what I see on here and other successful businesses: If you don't have close relatives that can work for you or preppy university students to market the job to locally...then it'll be hard to get anyone reliable from Facebook or off the street
NEVER hire family or freinds. They tend to take advantage of family ties and start feuds when you fire them

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
NEVER hire family or freinds. They tend to take advantage of family ties and start feuds when you fire them
Saiger, stockwell, mikey, and radar have proved that wrong. My 23yo niece outworks every man that I’ve hired in the past. She’s almost through with college and I told her if she decides not to take that career path in medlabs, I’ll have an empty seat in my truck and will make certain she can grow with my company.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mr.cleansalot

Name
JAMES FISHER
To be honest I think I'm to nice .
There late I let it go next thing you know there walking all over me .I'm over it I figure I need partners not employees I could be wrong I have been once or twice now lol .I'm just fed up with the headaches and stress of relying on people that see a paycheck not chance to be more and make more ive been on every job for 3 weeks now got 6 or 7 5 stare reviews and up sold alot of other services air ducts upholstery etc . I'm also changing pay structure to hourly with up sale commission.
I hate using both of those words .

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I can see how it would wear you slick. It would be a battle in residential market. Schedules and appointments to keep and all else to go along with it. Seems, you either go big or keep it close to your vest. However, lonewolfing it long term wouldn’t be an option.

Reactions: FB7777
Name
Lee Stockwell
That’s not even possible
If that is not possible, it is the boss's fault
To be honest I think I'm to nice .
There late I let it go next thing you know there walking all over me .I'm over it I figure I need partners not employees I could be wrong I have been once or twice now lol .I'm just fed up with the headaches and stress of relying on people that see a paycheck not chance to be more and make more ive been on every job for 3 weeks now got 6 or 7 5 stare reviews and up sold alot of other services air ducts upholstery etc . I'm also changing pay structure to hourly with up sale commission.
I hate using both of those words .
You think you are too nice. Have you ever done an exit interview? I'm "nice", but do not take crap either.

Just communicate and make your requirements VERY clear. Don't nit pick on things that don't matter at the end of the day.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
never hire someone you can't fire easily

donno what your pay rate is, but you can't keep good help if paying similar rates as Circle K where the hardest physical labor they do is filling the Biggie Pop station with cups, lids and straws...in an air conditioned work place

..L.TA.

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
I had an employee ghost me recently because he didn’t want to loose the extra 600$ a week
I already have filled his spot
I also feel the need to contract when things are hard but then I remember I like being at home playing with my kids more than working
I also like running the little errands and messing with the vans
I like having flexibility I like eating lunch at home or swimming

I dont like doing 4 jobs a day
I don’t like being out all day
I don’t like not putting my kids to bed
I don’t like paying to have a job

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
That’s why I keep putting up with employees because when everything is working it’s pretty awesome

then all of a sudden it sucks it really just sucks

then back to awesome

Reactions: Mikey P

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I feel ya. My good crew today 45 min. after leaving with truck and trailer. Caller, there’s no extreme or hydra force in the trailer.
Um, did you look in the van? No, didn’t think to look there😳🤦‍♂️😡 Ok, look there😄

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
I feel ya. My good crew today 45 min. after leaving with truck and trailer. Caller, there’s no extreme or hydra force in the trailer.
Um, did you look in the van? No, didn’t think to look there😳🤦‍♂️😡 Ok, look there😄
LOL my guys sold pet treatment today and didn’t have any on the van at least he was honest and called me I brought him some and he finished the job!

look there! LoL

• Haha
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
You actually have to gear or settle it in your mind to deal with it. I will go back to having 20-25 of em again soon. I have 7-8 now with COVID. It’s been a nice vacation actually.

Name
Swani
We have 3 employees. During the interview we asked each person what their goals were and where they wanted to be in 5 years. We try and help each employee achieve those goals. Following Zig Ziglar's quote: "If you want to achieve your goals, help others achieve theirs." We also try to start the day off on a good note. Each day we have breakfast at my house and talk about the days schedule, game plans and things we can make better. We aren't the highest paying employers in town and cleaning is hard work, but the word is out that we are good to our employees. We already have a list of potential people that want to work for us based on word of mouth. I believe that culture is a must, but your employees also have to understand that they will be held accountable. I'm pretty new to this game but find these statements to be true.

Last edited:

randy

Name
Randy
150 employees over 11 years doesn't seem so bad.
In the 10 years that I owned the security business I ran through nearly 1,000. For real, never had more than 34 (40 hour a week) full time slots, but we ran through almost 1,000 different employees. Part of that was because 90% were part time but still the turn over was incredible. When 9/11 happened I had my exit opportunity and took it. I learned that Security guards are experts at finding secret places to sleep or have sex with girlfriends that aren't even supposed to be in the building.

I gave up on trying to "go big with carpet cleaning " years ago. There are very REAL reasons by the business is dominated by owner operators and the two guys and two financed / leased trucks operators. Even running two trucks is hard. When I had nine guys at the Pentagon every night with steamon demons and cimex machines, I was killing myself. More than once I found myself fighting back tears at 3am from shear exhaustion. Worse the net money wasn't that great. It was profitable, but NOT WORTH THE HASSLE. Employees are a pain in the ass and have to be directly supervised or they will drain you dry 16 different ways. The salons I own operate like a well oiled machine because there is a floor manager watching over everyone every second of their shift. Hard to do that with guys running service calls all over your county or even 5-6 guys spread throughout a large building. Hence: the owner operator and maybe a three truck operator here and there is the bulk of this industry. Since 1990 when I got in the business I have seen tons of "big operators" close up. Some of the large operators you hear about, haven't made money in a decade or more. Nice salary and benefits, but an operation that often doesn't even earn the cost of capital. NO THANKS.

Mr.cleansalot

Name
JAMES FISHER
Thank you for all the good feed back .
I keep saying if this time next year lol wel 6 or 7 years now I figure it will work out or not but we are not in a bad economy here .
Its an employee market being all the tech companies are moving here every where is hiring . I put a add out for $25 a hour got 2 texts thats it .

Reactions: DAT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom