Employees, How Late Is Too Late?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
This morning we had a job and one of the guys was a half hour late, still didn't leave his home yet. His partner offered to go pick him up on the way to the job and I said no, he can stay home. I will just fill in...

Too tough?
Where is your line for lateness?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
That is a little beyond lateness buddy.

Next!

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
At my last career if you had a start time of 7:30 AM and you clocked in at 7:31 AM you are late. If it happens so many times with in a certain time frame you are written up and it effects your reviews and pay and ultimately you could be suspended or fired

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Thats an employee that too scared too quit , and probably wants to get fired so he can attempt unemployment

3 strikes in a 90 day period and you are out
1/2 strike: less than 15 minutes late and called prior to report time
1 strike: more than 15 minutes late, or absence and called in prior to report time
1 strike: less than 15 minutes late and called after report time
2 strikes: more than 15 minutes late, or absence and called after report time
3 strikes: no call, no show 2 times

I used to work with someone who would generally have 2-2.5 strikes all the time. 90 days would go by one strike would come off, sure enough, he'd miss work again, back up to 2=2.5/ Because of him, they made it 4 strikes in a 120 period or 3 in a 90. He was fired within a month.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I just expect mutual courtesy.

I text Jon the next few days' pending job schedule, and morning start time estimate.

He confirms, or offers suggested changes (I encourage that). If he's somehow running late, I expect a call or text with ETA.

Sometimes he starts the route without me, or vice versa. Whatever our customers need, we do it.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I let plenty of things slide but being on time is a big deal to me.

It should be a big deal! I'd have left him home if I knew he was going to make me late for first appt....
Is he making you/your guys late for first job?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Just wondering how many employees Petro V. has.

Being late is a sign of disrespect. It says, only not in so many words- "My time is more valuable than yours."

When an employee says that to you, you may choose to find it acceptable. I don't. Problem is, he's also saying it to your client and the client takes it as the message your business is sending.
In non Petro V. language: Through your employee's action, you are telling your client that you give :bullshit:about their time.

Is that the message you want to convey?

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Ofer, that's the point that's being missed. "OUR" time, as the boss, is NOT all that important in the overall scheme of things.

Our customers' time is VERY important if we care to stay in the service business. Even in laid-back Kentucky.

I used to use a customer feedback form in our Bane years, and one of the few complaints noted in 1989 was for being late. 3 times.

Now, with map programs and routing software, along with due respect for Murphy, we are (almost) always on time.

A courtesy cell phone call is always used if we will be even close to late.

Bjorn

no one is going to care for your business like you do. Yes a phone call from the employee would have been nice.
Maybe if time was so important you should have called him knowing he or she has a problem with time management

Again it's just a dead end job for a young person to pay some rent buy some weed and party with.

I guess it might go back to " you get what you pay for "

I would bet most carpet cleaning Techs do not get Paid vacation Dental and health insurance over time 401K so a job is just that

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
no one is going to care for your business like you do. Yes a phone call from the employee would have been nice.
Maybe if time was so important you should have called him knowing he or she has a problem with time management

Again it's just a dead end job for a young person to pay some rent buy some weed and party with.

I guess it might go back to " you get what you pay for "

I would bet most carpet cleaning Techs do not get Paid vacation Dental and health insurance over time 401K so a job is just that

Speak for yourself....

Most of our staff is older and we drug test.
No 20 year old pot heads here.

Doesn't matter what you are paid anyway, when you commit to a job you follow through. Its called being an adult.

PS. We pay right at the median $ wage for the region, its a typical blue collar job for this region.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Very irritating! It really depends on how often this happens.

If he is a regular at being late and if I didn't need him that day I'd tell him just to stay home.

We do allow some flexibility since we ask them to be flexibility from them for emergency work.

Reactions: JS41035

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Our business is structured differently than a cleaning business, so we can get by when someone is late by letting others pick up the slack. Its not fair to the other employees that have to do that though, so the issue of fairness to them has to be considered as well.

One thing I can share:

If you permit it without consequences, it will get repeated. If you let it get repeated without consequences, it will no longer be you being an understanding boss, it will become what he believes is all that is expected of him.

Once that happens, you will never be able to get him to show up on time without causing him to become offended and resent YOU for this.

I know that might seem odd, but the things we grudgingly tolerate, if let go long enough, will become their "inalienable right" over time.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ask CRASH how many times i fired him for bein' late......
wth IS CRASH anyway...?

ohh thats right..
he BOUGHT my bidness

now he's late all de time!

Ron K

Ofer, that's the point that's being missed. "OUR" time, as the boss, is NOT all that important in the overall scheme of things.

Our customers' time is VERY important if we care to stay in the service business. Even in laid-back Kentucky.

I used to use a customer feedback form in our Bane years, and one of the few complaints noted in 1989 was for being late. 3 times.

Now, with map programs and routing software, along with due respect for Murphy, we are (almost) always on time.

A courtesy cell phone call is always used if we will be even close to late.

I don't know but where we live the CUSTOMER is the boss and he/she can fire you anytime!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom