Employees

Bucey

Name
FFA?
I have been thru four different employees in the last month.

This is very disappointing!

Not all their fault, I share some of the burden!

I am feeling so bumed!

It's cleaning a house for crying out loud!

Wow

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I feel your pain, usually training, firing, or hiring someone all the time. Tried higher pay, tried lower pay with bonuses, even hired a newly discharged veteran(figured he had to be able to get up for work in the morning - I was wrong.)

Maybe someone like Ken can offer some employee hiring and retention advice.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
Yep me too! Tried all those. Granted I am only in this for about a month and a half but boy I've seen a lot in 45 days!

Any good books?

As far as that goes I can't find good contractors! :lol:

Move out house cleaning is hard work! Some folks live pretty hard!

Looking for a diamond in the rough.

Not looking for perfection just willingness to achieve.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Hire the smile ...Not the talent.

But I wouldn't "hire" anyone.

I would use other people and sub it out...But that's just me.

There are headaches with both structures for sure.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I understand what you are saying but let's be somewhat practical. There is a physical aspect to this job that no amount of sweet talk will get you out of.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Glad to hear you say it is your fault too. I would say whenever I have had a bad hire it has always been ALL my fault and I have had a bunch of them.

There was always some telltale sign that the wouldn't work out that I refused to see because "I was desperate".

The key to me is almost exactly what Brian said~ hire the smile. In addition in the interview process tell them all the crappy parts of the job i.e. long hours (if that applies), medium to heavy lifting, hot environment, being treated like a housekeeper/janitor etc. If they still seem willing, then pay them more than anyone else in the industry in your market- whatever that means. Also provide them health insurance (mostly company paid for), holiday and vacation pay, and treat them with respect.

Do all those things and you will have a better success rate. Even with all that you will be fortunate to get 1 out of 2 that will be long term keepers but that is a lot better than 1 out of 4 or a continuous revolving door.

Ken

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
rhino1 said:
I understand what you are saying but let's be somewhat practical. There is a physical aspect to this job that no amount of sweet talk will get you out of.

You need to hire a capable person....What it means is don't hire someone who already "knows" how to clean etc.

You train them on the clean...The "smile" is very hard to train....That generally comes from years of practice.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Ken Snow said:
Glad to hear you say it is your fault too. I would say whenever I have had a bad hire it has always been ALL my fault and I have had a bunch of them.

There was always some telltale sign that they wouldn't work out that I refused to see because "I was desperate".
My new favorite quote at SFS is "The fish rots from the head down." (Don't ask me how I learned this in my own business.)

I think the problem is the recession has definitely increased the QUANTITY of applications. But that doesn't mean the QUALITY as in "being suitable" for the job has improved. Basically you are looking for the "sweet spot" in people. Smart enough to be able to work on their own but without that independent "entrepreneurial streak" that moves them to become your competition. They are a small needle in a big hay stack but they are there.

Keep hiring/firing till you find the keeper and then take good care of him or her.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Have you thought about trying part time help? Spreads the risk and avoids overtime when you are busy. Plus part time people usually are hungry for more hours which is better than the typical burned out, over-worked and complacent/arrogant full time tech.

Oh and follow Ken's warning re: "desperation hiring".

Bucey

Name
FFA?
Yes sad part is its part time. Average around 20 to 30 hrs. It will work out! Just takes some time and more gray hair! Only 32!

Chris A

Name
Chris
I feel ya, I have sort of a love-hate relationship with my asst. I love him cause he's a good dude, honest, clean cut and friendly with customers. I hate him because he calls off when he gets the sniffles, has some attention to detail issues, and just has somewhat of a lax attitude about work. I started busting his chops some on the latter parts, and lately I've been liking him more. He's going on 2 years now 4 or so days a week, from a CL ad. He likes the job because we work well together and generally knock out a days work in 6-7 hours, plus it's not too monotonous. You'll find the guy, jsut keep at it...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom