Encapsulating upholstery

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'd have to run a resoiling test, which I'm not going to do at this point.

The product wasn't resistant to water based spills on upholstery, but I didn't expect it to be.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Granted encapuclean with maxim is for carpet but do you ever think they would make a version for upholstery?
comments on this?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Granted encapuclean with maxim is for carpet but do you ever think they would make a version for upholstery?
comments on this?

That's a question for the product manufacturers. Based on the formulation I don't see why they'd need to do that Scott.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Do you think encapsulating upholstery is bad?

No, not at all. What you're doing is using the product as a dry foam or very low moisture cleaning detergent. The pH of most of these products makes it a safe cleaning product for all but the most sensitive dyes and cellulose fibers that might brown. You could end up with a change of hand on chenille, velvet, and other pile weaves made from natural fibers, but otherwise I find no fault in using the products on upholstery.

Reactions: Shorty

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I ment if they went with an upholstery protectant and not a carpet one.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I think encapuclean green ds is awesome on carpets and upholstery.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I'm asking if you think upholstery protectant applied after encap is best or would a product like encapuclean with maxim in the formulation would work better.

Also do you think the alcohol in maxim advanced upholstery protectant cuts threw the encap for a better bond?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I feel Scott Warrington should be answering these questions Scott. Besides, he has a great first name :)

To the best of my understanding, the Encapuclean with Maxim will not impart spill resistance, just acid dye resistance. The tests I did earlier this week showed no spill resistance on the upholstery fabric that I cleaned with Encapuclean DS with Maxim. The only spill resistance was on the side that I subsequently applied the Maxim Protector for Upholstery.

It worked equally well on the fabric that I cleaned with conventional prespray and rinse products and procedures.

Why I had those results is a question for Scott Warrington.

steve_64

after cleaning some office chairs yesterday ive decided to change the way ive been cleaning upholstery. im going to change the tools im using also.

the top of the back was tan from i assume oils and the top edge is to hard to clean with a tool. i used a wet towel with realisit ds and it worked way better than what i was trying. so i after prespraying and extracting i went over the whole chair with the realisit and was very happy with the results.

im going to get a spotting tool for the real bad ones but will start encapping these types of chairs from now on.

i liked using just a good towel but may try that mit scott used.

thanks guys for all the information and making me pay more attention to what im doing.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
You should try the small car polished with a microfiber cloth/pad. A ton easier yet, and faster.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
To be clear, Encapuclean with Maxim is not Encapuclean with some Maxim Advanced protector added. It is Encapuclean with the acid dye resistors which are exclusive to Maxim products added to the encapsulation formula. There is also a little fluoroprotector but not a full measure. It works fine for encapsulating upholstery. It imparts dye resistance. If a piece of upholstery (or carpet) was previously protected, it would help to refresh or replace part of the protector that wears off with use. It keep the protection at a high level.

Encpauclean with Maxim is not intended to provide a full level of protection but works great for upholstery. You can use Maxim Advanced for Upholstery after encapsulating if you want a full level of protection.

I think that encapsulation is a great method for upholstery, especially for fabrics that may be sensitive to moisture. But I have had good success use them on automotive upholstery to get rid of stains from drink spills and also on office furniture. A job with a lot of chairs can go pretty fast with minimum of equipment when doing encapsulating.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Whew...thank you Scott

I was feeling like I was walking on thin ice there for a while.

My recent experiences with encapsulation products on upholstery is causing me to rewrite a section of my upholstery cleaning class.

So much easier to do when I don't have to answer to the IICRC anymore.....(snicker)

I like and deeply respect Bill Yeadon, Jeff Cross, and Tony Wheelwright and all my IICRC friends....I just don't play well with others anymore it seems

I must be getting old...

steve_64

You should try the small car polished with a microfiber cloth/pad. A ton easier yet, and faster.
ive actually got those tools but keeping things on board is an issue. im always moving things around due to lack of space.

i wasnt prepared for the chairs but really havent done them this way before. i felt like it would be hackish but im thinking my way isnt so good now.

im really rethinking the way ive been doing a lot of things lately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom