End of the Deal of the Days?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Well I was surprised to say the least.

I did the same deal that I did a year ago with Living Social... 3 rooms $55 and sold 171 vouchers.

This time we only sold 62 :shock:

I thought we would do over 200.

The one I did in CA only sold 100

Could it be that it's the deals... or is it the day? Been slow lately in the carpet cleaning world... Not horrible.. But slow.

Hmmm

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Cleaning for 9 bucks a room must be getting old fashioned.

Most prospects know that if the deal sounds too good to be true..................

And that cheaper can cost much more it the long run.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Some cases that's true I'm sure.

The low quality cleaners get weeded out sooner or later. But there will be another group of them waiting to get in.

Connor

Name
Connor
Brian R said:
Well I was surprised to say the least.

I did the same deal that I did a year ago with Living Social... 3 rooms $55 and sold 171 vouchers.

This time we only sold 62 :shock:

Your reputation is getting around, perhaps if you offered free shakes?

Name
I'm Rick James
How many of those customers used you right away.. I know a local company that is using the Living Social so just curious what he should expect.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
My experience is about 25% call right away... "Then they flow in fairly regularly.

Then near the exp date there is a rush to get the job in.

I think these DODs worked better when there was just 1 deal per day.

Now there is about 5 or 6 that come in with one deal being showcased as the main deal.

The ads letting them search for the deal etc.... They are becoming more like and online phonebook just like all the others.

Not a huge deal... Still the absolute best way to get a good amount of customers in one day.

When did YOUR last advertisment bring in 60 to 171 jobs in one day?

Ken Snow excluded. lol

PS. Please don't give me the unexperienced crap about them being low ball customers and 9 dollars a room etc etc etc... It's just not true overall.

Chris A

Name
Chris
My deal didnt do that well either, 3 rooms for 65, sold 45 plus 5 on the side, maybe your on to something. A local japanese steakhouse with 2 locations just did 50/25 and sold 11,000 (not a typo), so who knows

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I do not do business with people that give first time customers a deal and not their regular customers. If I have been supporting your company
and a new client gets a deal and I am excluded, se ya.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
dmirf1@msn.com said:
I do not do business with people that give first time customers a deal and not their regular customers. If I have been supporting your company
and a new client gets a deal and I am excluded, se ya.

Wow, so much to explain and so little phone buttons.

Think of it from the company's point of view. Why would you expect them to pay for advertising twice?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Like what the Yellow pages used to do.

Deep discounts for the new listing, for a few years .

But, The highest rate for their loyal repeat clients.

It would really piss me off.

Karma is a bitch though. The yellow pages is not even relevant anymore after having a monopoly for so long.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I'll just call it Karma....until the next scam comes along...sorry guys...we all want to make $$$ doing this shit, but word of mouth and pounding the pavement with a little advertising works best...

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
stuff like this advertising is catering to tirekickers and bottom feeders...if u have subs that will deal with these mutants and subhumans than more power to u guys...it's horseshit for the industry...some people just don't give a shit and want to make an extra penny...i find it rather pathetic to hardworking people like myself

Chris A

Name
Chris
Bee Busy said:
stuff like this advertising is catering to tirekickers and bottom feeders...if u have subs that will deal with these mutants and subhumans than more power to u guys...it's horseshit for the industry...some people just don't give a shit and want to make an extra penny...i find it rather pathetic to hardworking people like myself

And some just cant bring themselves to have even a slightly open mind. Bill, nobody is taking YOUR customers with dods. Maybe a couple people who just couldnt pass up the deal. Most of the people who are buying these were either dissatisfied with their last cleaner or cant remember who they were. If they were all tire kickers and bottom feeders why would you care? Just another scapegoat for many(not necc. you) to blame their failing businesses on...

Chris A

Name
Chris
And meanwhile guys like me and Brian are building our client bases with cheerleaders in nice areas (and some scumbags who wont be marketed to) while still making a PROFIT on almost every job. Try doing that with any other advertising medium without a huge outlay of cash and more risk than Id like...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bill, No offense bro but you're coming up with this stuff in your own mind and not from experience... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Until you run one... It's hard to understand.

It was worth taking a chance to me 3 or years ago.... and it paid off greatly. There were many more quality customers than bottom feeder priceshoppers.

A little discount on the front end. That's it.... and it brought in a ton of female homeowners with families. The exact clients I wanted.

I still don't see why this is so hard to understand.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Chris Adkins said:
Try doing that with any other advertising medium without a huge outlay of cash and more risk than Id like...

Really? Giving away more then half your money to get a job? Maybe it's just your area, but I bet I'll spend under $3,000 on ads this year and I'm up 20% from last year. I would have done Groupon, and Deal of the day my first 2 years, but now I would be losing alot of money with either thing.. If I was to put another van in service right now I would get service monster and I believe I wouldn't need any other advertizing(well maybe the occasional flyer run :lol: ).

Chris A

Name
Chris
Able 1 said:
[quote="Chris Adkins":20egdv8j] Try doing that with any other advertising medium without a huge outlay of cash and more risk than Id like...

Really? Giving away more then half your money to get a job? Maybe it's just your area, but I bet I'll spend under $3,000 on ads this year and I'm up 20% from last year. I would have done Groupon, and Deal of the day my first 2 years, but now I would be losing alot of money with either thing.. If I was to put another van in service right now I would get service monster and I believe I wouldn't need any other advertizing(well maybe the occasional flyer run :lol: ).[/quote:20egdv8j]

I was up 30% in 2011 over 2010 with no increase in advertising so percentages dont necc. reflect anything its the roi specific to the advertising that counts.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Chris Adkins said:
[quote="Able 1":2wowyayr][quote="Chris Adkins":2wowyayr] Try doing that with any other advertising medium without a huge outlay of cash and more risk than Id like...

Really? Giving away more then half your money to get a job? Maybe it's just your area, but I bet I'll spend under $3,000 on ads this year and I'm up 20% from last year. I would have done Groupon, and Deal of the day my first 2 years, but now I would be losing alot of money with either thing.. If I was to put another van in service right now I would get service monster and I believe I wouldn't need any other advertizing(well maybe the occasional flyer run :lol: ).[/quote:2wowyayr]

I was up 30% in 2011 over 2010 with no increase in advertising so percentages dont necc. reflect anything its the roi specific to the advertising that counts.[/quote:2wowyayr]

Do you use Service Monster? Or do you directly mail postcard reminders?

I would do that before giving up 50% to some company and a cheap ass. I think of your/my time and the value of it is the most important thing to think about. What is the ROI of your time working your ass off that you give away for less then 50%? How I see advertizing is something you pay for and have to do little "work" to put into action. What you are doing is working your ass off for half the money and hoping for a repeat, that's not sitting at home eating stake..

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Brian R said:
Bill, No offense bro but you're coming up with this stuff in your own mind and not from experience... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Until you run one... It's hard to understand.

It was worth taking a chance to me 3 or years ago.... and it paid off greatly. There were many more quality customers than bottom feeder priceshoppers.

A little discount on the front end. That's it.... and it brought in a ton of female homeowners with families. The exact clients I wanted.

I still don't see why this is so hard to understand.
i'll admit i don't understand because i would never do it...walking into a job for under $50? it's a waste of time and energy...isn't gas around $4 a gallon and taxes over 30 plus%...so it's about adding on or decieving people, which usually irritates people, remember...i'm out in the field meeting real people every day since rebuilding my business for the past 1.5 years, i'm not sitting behind a desk, this crap won't fly, with this economy...people are reluctant to add on, if your honest and up front with them to begin with, that builds trust and that is what it's all about...i'm a bit peeved about it because i answer my phone and i have to deal with cheapskates wasting my time on the phone...i would turn it over to FC but they could duff potential t/g and stone stuff for me because they don't have the knowledge i have with that comes with selling tile/stone on the phone...

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
btw...i've been hearing groupon may be gone soon and if you guys doing this type of "marketing" numbers are going down, maybe that's a sign that it's not very good marketing? most of the negative reviews i see on yelp start off with " i bought a living social" or "i bought a groupon and these guys were horrible" :lol: so are you guys going to honor the groupon/ls price next time they call?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Bee Busy said:
btw...i've been hearing groupon may be gone soon and if you guys doing this type of "marketing" numbers are going down, maybe that's a sign that it's not very good marketing? most of the negative reviews i see on yelp start off with " i bought a living social" or "i bought a groupon and these guys were horrible" :lol: so are you guys going to honor the groupon/ls price next time they call?

Hell no. And I cant really speak for groupon being here or not, I was surprised by our latest results, I thougt wed do better, I think its more that the fad has passed, but everyone who bought a dod for my company recieved excellent service, whether they added on or not (and most did)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Do you guys read what I write? Or do you just not believe me?

We don't deceive, we give a good discount upfront and then we make really good money from our new clients.

They have money, want to spend it.... The great deal doesn't bring a ton of priceshoppers... Again, making it up in your own minds.

The reason Groupon and others might not be around is saturation... It worked really well until a ton of people started doing it.

Probably my fault for promoting it so much. :lol:

Business is a risk, take the risk or have a mediocre future.

If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Steph scheduled our fourth repeat groupon customer from our november deal at full price. I will keep track of those results in six months or so.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Brian R said:
Do you guys read what I write? Or do you just not believe me?

We don't deceive, we give a good discount upfront and then we make really good money from our new clients.

They have money, want to spend it.... The great deal doesn't bring a ton of priceshoppers... Again, making it up in your own minds.

The reason Groupon and others might not be around is saturation... It worked really well until a ton of people started doing it.

I'll just stick to basic internet stuff...I just landed a prop mgmt co from a organic search (according to his GC) that has over 1100 properties in Nor Cal and Nor NV...I had to scrub/shave and blast off off over 5 years of soap scum on 2 showers with some minor regrouting to win the fella and his partners over, but i did it....this is how (in my opinion) you grow a business...not with Groupon or Living Social...hard work and networking will overcome the new internet coupons

Able 1

Name
Keith
Brian R said:
Do you guys read what I write? Or do you just not believe me?You spin pads and have low overhead

We don't deceive, we give a good discount upfront and then we make really good money from our new clients. Ucan make great money!! You are not booked up like most TM cleaners. YOU can sit and talk to the custy for hours and withYOUR personality, I do believe you can milk out what you want.

Sez the guy that thinks truck mounts are too expensive. :lol:

I hope so^^^^^^!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom