Ever seen anything like this?

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We cleaned this carpet and the homeowner says this line appeared after the cleaning. There is a seam more or less under the line. The carpet is 14 years old and in a bright and sunny room. The customer thinks the seam tape bled. If so, I have never seen anything like it, ever.

• Wow
Reactions: Trip Moses

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Carpet tends to peak or raise along the seams. Any chance this is a shadow or lighting effect due to being slightly higher along the seam?

Reactions: Doug Rice

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Masland nylon carpet on the main level of the home.

The suggestion that it may be peaked at the seam is interesting as it was one of those jobs where the carpet rippled when wet. I looked at it though and it is pretty flat, though I can't rule out that it is very, very slightly peaked.

I have never seen carpet seam tape bleed or cause discoloration.

This was also one of those type jobs where we are just coming in to touch up already clean carpet, so not a lot of any type of excess cleaning solution. We have cleaned in this room several times over the years and it was done by a crew leader with 20 plus years experience with us.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Is there a color difference? Sorry a little color blind. It just looked like nap reversal to me, if that is the case, the seaming iron was run against the nap of the carpet during the seaming process. The fix is to take a clothes iron and run it in the direction of the nap.

steve_64

I would try stain magic in a small area.

They probably had the humidifier running.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
On the last pic, it looks like more pink discoloration bottom right. If you can find a way to help your customer, great but not really your problem. Not a cleaning problem in my opinion.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The picture in the article sure looks like Brian's problem carpet. Good find.

I have seen stripes of discoloration from over-inked rebond pad, from over-inked arrows and logos on the carpet backing, from colored warp fibers in the backing of woven carpet, and stripes of color that was supposed to be trimmed from the sides of tufted carpet before installation.

In the last case the stripe looked like a thinner version of the picture above, and I assumed the installer thought it wasteful to throw away a couple inches of carpet.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
One my account has that issue. It is a nylon light color carpet like yours. Not only was there discoloration, it has slight permanent peaking. It is installation error.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I didn't read the article but I question whether heat while seaming caused discoloration. How hot would the fibers have to get from a seaming iron to duplicate this issue? We use high heat daily to clean carpet without this kind of damage. Perhaps the moisture prevents it when cleaning. Maybe there was something in the glue that caused this over time.

Edit: Just read the article and it seems logical but would like to see if it could be duplicated with a different seaming tape.

Last edited:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Thanks for all your suggestions and insight. I decided to have an independent carpet inspector give us his opinion and will abide by his decision.

This particular job has me frustrated for many reasons besides what I already mentioned.

According to the homeowner, the carpet looked perfect before cleaning and the seam was evident. Also an area that had been patched due to a potted plant was "invisible". The carpet had been down for 12 years before the patch, which had been rolled up in a closet, was inserted. Now we are being blamed for that as well.

If we do end up replacing the carpet, the homeowner feels that he shouldn't have to pay any depreciation on his 14 year old carpet that has had a patch in the middle of the room. The homeowner said that he "does not accept the theory of depreciation".

Name
Daniel Hall
We cleaned this carpet and the homeowner says this line appeared after the cleaning. There is a seam more or less under the line. The carpet is 14 years old and in a bright and sunny room. The customer thinks the seam tape bled. If so, I have never seen anything like it, ever. View attachment 89263View attachment 89264View attachment 89265
I have seen this before on light colored carpet , if what you say is taken into consideration , 14 year old carpet , cleaned multiple times , appears to be a lighter weight carpet with many years of deterioration and abrasion it has become thinner to the point the tape shows through the carpet in the well lit room, it could possibly be something else but doesn’t look like it , maybe Ph don’t think so.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Thanks for all your suggestions and insight. I decided to have an independent carpet inspector give us his opinion and will abide by his decision.

This particular job has me frustrated for many reasons besides what I already mentioned.

According to the homeowner, the carpet looked perfect before cleaning and the seam was evident. Also an area that had been patched due to a potted plant was "invisible". The carpet had been down for 12 years before the patch, which had been rolled up in a closet, was inserted. Now we are being blamed for that as well.

If we do end up replacing the carpet, the homeowner feels that he shouldn't have to pay any depreciation on his 14 year old carpet that has had a patch in the middle of the room. The homeowner said that he "does not accept the theory of depreciation".
You should see if he accepts the theory of a punch in the face.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout

Check for the use of duct tape under the seam. If I recall the job I was on had something to do with that.

FredC

Village Idiot
the customer thinks the seam tape bled.

as far as this goes, although it seems logical at first, you wouldn't expect to see an even strip all the way across mainly because the layer of adhesive wouldn't allow for it

the heat damage from installation seems more likely. The iron/tape itself or the seam weight/toolbox tray put on top trapping it

edit
From Roberts literature:
PREVENTING SEAM DISCOLORATION

• The most common cause of discoloration is a seaming iron that is too hot. Roberts 482G Air Cooled Heat Bond Iron is the optimum solution. It features a double heat shield that reduces the temperature of the top shield, which comes in contact with the carpet backing. Iron setting should be at 3 or 4. If using non cool-top irons, use a plastic heat shield to shield polypropylene carpet backings from excessive heat.
• Always seam with the direction of the nap. Seaming against the grain can reverse the pile in the seam area. This area will reflect light differently than the rest of the carpet and appear discoloured.
• Metal trays and other weights constructed of plastic, glass, marble, etc. prevent residual heat and moisture of freshly made seams from escaping. Trapped heat can cause carpet tufts to lose their pre-set twist and trapped moisture can cause tuffs to swell, resulting in discoloration and pile reversal. Use a seam weight that is designed to absorb and release built up heat and moisture

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
this is a regular repeat custy??

"touched up" an already cleaned carpet?
(call back?)

Buckled/loosened with moisture

no clue what caused the seam discolor this cleaning ,
but prettydamnsure this one will be a lo$ing proposition for you :(

..L.T.A.

Clark Kent

Name
Clark Kent
I’ve seen this before. Can’t tell you why. Seam tape wicked somehow.
I've seen this before too. It's been a long time ago, so I need time to dig deep back in time, but yes...I've seen this before and the seaming tape does have something to do with it. (sort of)
Question: was there an area rug over that area?

Seems like there was suffocation going on along that seam. But again, I need to think deeper. Give me time.

As for seaming in the direction of the nap....non-sense. I've seemed with and against the nap for decades without any I'll affect at all. I'm not talking about cross seaming mind you.

FredC

Village Idiot
I'll write the people who make seaming irons and let them know.................

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom