Faucet break

miksar

Supportive Member
Name
Mike Fent
I go to turn the water off at the faucet to un hook my hose that is connected to the tm and the valve keeps on a turning without turning the water off. Oh crap, it's late on a Saturday afternoon, I gotta try and fix this for this little old lady. I can't leave the water turned off until Monday when a plumber is available. So I spend 2 hours trying to find the part and trying to fix it for her. But a new faucet was needed and was beyond my capability to install it. So I rigged up a temporary fix so she wouldn't be without water. So today I received a letter from this sweet little old lady asking me to pay her plumber bill because he told her it was because of my "negligence " that the faucet broke. Any opinions?

Name
Lee Stockwell
What was "broken" on said faucet? Most outside hose bibs are less than $15, freeze resistants are $35 or so. It would be easy to replace unless thru an unaccessable wall or into crappy pipes behind.

I'd want the "broken" faucet in hand before I paid.

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
i heard that many a time,,, its easy to replace,,,if so then why call a plumber? yes,the part(s) themselves can be inexpensive,,but the time/know how to do the job right,,the first time,, between doing plumbing and carpet cleaning,,carpet cleaning is much easier to show perceived value for the client! the plumbing shop i worked for had a price guide for everything,,and yes,,prices were HIGH,,but that was the company's set up. some aspects of plumbing i miss,,some i dont!

so the hosebib turned on when you first hooked up to it? some hosebibs can be repaired.. as stated before,,ask to see the damaged item and the bill.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Lee,

If a carpet cleaner doesn't believe he is a plumber, then he shouldn't touch it!

Does a CC'er know how to sweat a copper faucet? Does he search endlessly for a rebuild kit when he isn't sure just exactly what it's gonna' take to fix it?

The service call from the plumber is "what cost"; not the "part(s)".

How much is the bill?

If it is within reason, pay it, and move on. Even though you probably didn't break it, you are the "bad guy".

miksar

Supportive Member
Name
Mike Fent
I took the faucet apart hoping it would just need a washer, but the screw holding the washer was busted. So I bought a new faucet to replace it but I realized the old one had to be cut off and new one soldered on. I might try to repair my own but not a customers. Anyway it just bugs me that the plumber told the lady it was my negligence that caused it to break when all I did is turn the stupid thing. The customer was a referral from one of my best realtor clients. I know I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay it. Just irritating. $135.00

Name
Lee Stockwell
Agree with Bob, if you don't have the ability, don't touch it. I can and probably would have fixed it quickly.

If I break something, and know I did, I fix or pay for it. In this case I'm not sure he "broke" anything.

However I carry onboard water and don't hook up to faucet that look suspect: "floating connection", stripped or missing handle, broken freeze-resist, or faucets that are spewing from bad washers before I start. Just things you notice after a few decades of experience.

all part of our education...

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
thats rather cheap,,, up here it wouldve been around 250ish,,,,, now that i got back into carpet cleaning i carry my own water.

Name
Lee Stockwell
You will pay. However I'd want to KNOW if the plumber was telling the truth...from what you said it seems like just the stem needed replaced.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
A plumber is not going to just replace a stem. Plus the charges are mostly service call related minimums anyways. Unfortanantly it broke when you used it so you have to bite the bullet and pay it. I have been lucky in 20 years of cleaning. Only once did I have an issue with a faucet I used. Luckily I had a screw on plastic valve with me so I was able to at least keep the water on. I told the client and he said oh yeah that things doesn't work right, dont worry about it.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Yeah- pay it and move on. Bummer.

As I always say, "Run your business based on the emotions of your customers- BUT never make business decisions emotionally."

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Speaking of faucets all of you might just check out this QuickTIP we sent out a little more than a year ago. If it will save you flooding one lower level my time here will have been well spent:

http://sfs.jondon.com/8390/resources/qu ... his-spring

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
that price sounds like a hosebib repair to me,,,,enough to cover his trip out,,and time/material on the job,,,,

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
THat sucks.

Your smart to pay the plumber and put it behind you. Otherwise, that sweat old lady would be badmouthing you forever. I have seen retirees spend countless hours complaining and trying to recover a few dollars they feel they have been cheated out of.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Connor said:
Also, if your repair ever failed, you'd be on the hook.

I've had a few that wouldn't turn off. I was usually able to turn it off in the basement, but some older houses, the valves inside are cooroded.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom