Fels Naptha users...I have a question for you.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Have you read this entire thread or just jumped in on at the very end? I wrote down pretty well detailed how you could make a jar full of gel that will rinse out easy...

First post on page 2 here.
LOL I jumped in at the end. I sort like to let the turds fall where they may....so I can step around them later. :biggrin:

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Here is my idiot proof method of "making" this stuff:

Get an empty jar (like powerburst jar). clean it out...

Fill it up with HOT water (on the verge of boiling)

Get a small cheese grater. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Sto...1_19?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1386450408&sr=1-19

You need something to stir the water with, as you slowly grate the Fels down. I use a cordless drill with a paint stir tool. Make sure you stir it sloooowly that way it won't foam up.

As you grate and stir get 2oz of soapfree from masterblend and stir it in as well. Also if you are unsucsessful with the foaming issue, you can sprinkle a small amount (a pinch) of powder defoamer in it every so often. Not too much!

Don't press the chees grater hard because the Fels is soft and the "powder" won't be too fine it the grater is biting into it hard. (its harder to melt it down if the powder is too big grainy)

I recommend 1 bar for one jar full of water. And also to grate it down onto paper first and then as you mix the liquid you can slowly apply the powder and you won't be trying to grate into the jar as you are trying to mix it.

When everything is melted and mixed well, cover it up and let is sit overnight.

Next morning it will be hard jello....you can get your drill with the paint mixer and go to town on the jar to mix it/break it up.

In the end you will have a smooth jelly/creamy substance that now will be easy to fill into the quart bottle with a squirt cap on it.
(for some reason it won't turn hard after the inital cooling overnight and will stay pretty consistent in a quart bottle.)

IT IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST SPOT REMOVER OUT THERE! One qt will last you weeks. works incredibly well- with the squirt cap- to apply on stairs bullnose etc.

I appreciate your "idiot proof" explanation, I really do. I must be a bigger idiot than most because I don't know how big a jar (power burst jar) is. Maybe I just need to work with it a little? I run soft water through my TM so that should help but I run a PTO with a 6 flow wand so I will be careful to rinse thorough. Excited to try it out. There are so many overpriced products that I've tried over the years that don't work nearly like they are promised to. Maybe I'll become a Fels hack too!?!?

The Clean Machine

hogjowl

Idiot™
It's not hard and there's no need for exact measurements. I keep a cheese grantor in my van. I grate up about one handful and put it in a 32 oz bottle with a squirt top. (Not a spray top.) then I fill that with hot water out of my TM, probably 230 degrees. Shake it up.

Reactions: JS41035 and Russ T.

Ron K

Have you read this entire thread or just jumped in on at the very end? I wrote down pretty well detailed how you could make a jar full of gel that will rinse out easy...

First post on page 2 here.
Zee I did read the entire post the question I have is have you tried making the liquid from your "jell" process I would think that would be the best of both worlds.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Maybe all one needs is to add some Methyl Cellosolve to your prespray instead of using Fels soap. What do you think Shawn?

Possibly it is worth thinking about.:winky: However, for a formulator of an end use prespray product it gets a bit more complicated (VOC limits being one consideration).

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Zee I did read the entire post the question I have is have you tried making the liquid from your "jell" process I would think that would be the best of both worlds.

Ron, I like the more solid jelly against a liquid. I feel like the liquid will run towards the base of the fibers and harder to rinse out. With the jelly state you can have it "sit" more on the top (where most likely, the soil to be removed- will be) and do the Aldo shuffle for agitation (or a brush works too :lol: )

Reactions: Ron K

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Would someone be willing to put up a short video on how they use Fels? I'd like to see one on 40 vol too. I bet there are some lurkers here who would like it too but won't speak up.

The Clean Machine

Able 1

Name
Keith
Would someone be willing to put up a short video on how they use Fels? I'd like to see one on 40 vol too. I bet there are some lurkers here who would like it too but won't speak up.

The Clean Machine

Just rub the stuff on man!LOL I think you said you are running a 6 flow wand,right? It may take you a little more flushing or make it into a gel. Here is a nasty filtration soil line cleaned up with fels(prochems "filter out" wouldn't have touched it):
View attachment 4164
View attachment 4165

steve g

Name
steve garrett
From a post made by me in a thread from 2011 on the subject....

I still stand behind the remark. That being said, some people may indeed not notice a problem. In that manner it's like a lot of other procedural errors performed in cleaning inasmuch as some may not notice the problems generated, as it is not necessarily observable from the cleaners standpoint. I mean, who compares resoiling rates of filtration lines? Even if you did, you'd likely chalk it up to the original cause, not realizing that you accelerated the re-appearance. As well, if you are using a good rinse agent and/or really soft water, you might actually do a decent job at rinsing soap with adequate rinse volume. But carpet edging, that likely is not edge sealed, is probably not a good place to employ near immersion flood rinsing with your scrub wand on wall-to-wall.

From an ethics perspective, I agree with Paul Lucas on this one. But I understand the business decision to "git-r-done" for temporary appearance.

p.s. We have/use Fels in our laundry room. Then again, everything there is immersion rinsed for protracted time, too. Any slight potential for resoiling is not going to be an issue during a 1 day wearing cycle.

ok this coming from a person who sells chemicals. Instead of coming on here and telling all of us how we are hacks it would be much better for YOU yes I said YOU to pay attention to the feedback REAL cleaners are giving based on REAL results out in the field. I know you come on with fancy definitions and nomenclature and all the rest. The fact is fels works, most of us here are smart enough to know the potential problems with it. Doesn't any spotter have "potential" problems associated with it?? that is why we are professionals, if not why don't we just give the customers the chemicals and tell them to spot their own carpets. I have used fels quite extensively in my own personal house and NEVER seen an issue with it, in fact it resoils not even slightly more than a regular prespray does. I have read your posts for years and they are heavy on pontification and light on listening.

Reactions: Goldenboy

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Just keep it simple.....you pay money for what ever pre-spray you like and it's supposed to take care of the job....but we all know that every now and then we will run across a spot that just does not want to play nice...if you find that you are using the soap more then you should..time to change pre-sprays...

get an old cell phone case and hook it to your wand and that way your super soap is always there...when you need it...
lift wand...pull trigger...dampen the spot...rub in the wonder bar..rise the hell out of it...

IMG_4763.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Just keep it simple.....you pay money for what ever pre-spray you like and it's supposed to take care of the job....but we all know that every now and then we will run across a spot that just does not want to play nice...if you find that you are using the soap more then you should..time to change pre-sprays...

get an old cell phone case and hook it to your wand and that way your super soap is always there...when you need it...
lift wand...pull trigger...dampen the spot...rub in the wonder bar..rinse the hell out of it..

Couldn't be said better.

Russ, let us know if you need a video of how to open the Naptha wrapping :winky: You're over thinking it.

An added benefit in my experience is using it on wool, as some of the other spotters can do damage. This is not scientific, however I never found it to do any damage to wool and it hardly ever lightens the area around the spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Just rub the stuff on man!LOL I think you said you are running a 6 flow wand,right? It may take you a little more flushing or make it into a gel. Here is a nasty filtration soil line cleaned up with fels(prochems "filter out" wouldn't have touched it):

ProChem's "Filter Out" is totally worthless. A waste of money.
The epitome of modern marketing: Not cheap and does practically nothing for what it was supposedly made for.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Lol, video tutorial of how to open a bar of soap. Priceless!

Sent from da bak seat of a Purple Caddy where the roadkill is real : )

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Oh here we go with the jokey jokes! I don't know why but something seems so strange to me about taking a bar of soap out and rubbing it on the carpet.
To be honest, I hadn't heard of Fels Naptha until this board.

There were a lot of things I should have known about but worked alone for the bulk of my career and waited too long to be active here.

I want to give you clowns another laugh. The other day I ordered 4 bars of Fels from eBay, you heard that right.....eBay. Afterwards I asked my wife if she had heard of Fels Naptha. She shrugged and said "yeah it's like laundry soap, why?" I told her that my boys on MB use it on carpet so I ordered some on eBay to try out. She then informed me that they have Fels everywhere and at $3 per bar, I overpaid....

Laugh it up Bozos, laugh it up. ;-)

The Clean Machine

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
95cents at Wal-Mart and Vons.

I have about 45 bars in a box for the next 5-10 years

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I bought a whole case a couple of years ago for $2.00. At a garage sale. Thought I got a great deal till I got it home. It must have been 50 years old. It was all dried out and shrunken. Had to toss it.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I posted these pictures back in 2011 from a customer I serviced a few times. He was involved most of his adult life in the making of Fels and other goodies. Long before Dial bought up the small company.

He has these glass cubes with certain recepies and appreciation letters etc encased. And of course the brass negative Fels stamp that would be used to stamp them out.

View attachment 4169

View attachment 4170

View attachment 4171

View attachment 4172

Reactions: GCCLee and Russ T.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Jus a lil defoamer hell! And all she could think about was the danm pan!

Dang what a thrill : )

u8u8yzyb.jpg

Snapped this as i was runnin outside.

Dang westerners an deir crazy ideas : )

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jus a lil defoamer hell! And all she could think about was the danm pan!

Dang what a thrill : )

u8u8yzyb.jpg

Snapped this as i was runnin outside.

Dang westerners an deir crazy ideas : )

I ain't eatin at yor house Chris.

Hell naww!
:p

WTF is that? A jar in the pot? :eekk:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I ain't eatin at yor house Chris.

Hell naww!
:p

WTF is that? A jar in the pot? :eekk:

That is Oh Shit, Doc!

Much gooder now that its had overnight to relax a bit. Came out well so far : )

hu4ebynu.jpg

humu9y7u.jpg

More for me : )

e2u6ameg.jpg

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
So what part of mix it sloooooooooowllyyyyyyyyy didn't you get? Slo or wly?

:lol: :lol: that looks messed up.

Reactions: jcooper

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom