Finally updating website...

FredC

Village Idiot
not responsive...........and not much of an update from your current site

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Besides the wine spill, no clue what the other pictures in the homepage slideshow are really trying to convey. I would utilize that area better since it takes up a lot of "above the fold" real estate. I'd make the images' height smaller as well to bring some of the content up. Need some content relevant to keywords you're trying to rank for on the homepage. Add a contact form at the top of the right sidebar so people can email you.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Snazzy but not mobile friendly

Thanks...it's supposed to be. I haven't had a chance to peek at it on my iphone. Just saw it briefly this morning before going out to meetings for the day. Maybe because it's on the test site?

not responsive
What do you mean by responsive? (or in this case lack thereof....)

Besides the wine spill, no clue what the other pictures in the homepage slideshow are really trying to convey
Not a fan of the wine spill...but I do know that people tend to respond to kids, dogs and people. As @billyeadon says...it's in the eyes/face. I'm actually ok with photos of people/kids and pets on furniture and the flooring. I personally dislike the huge wine spill and think of it as a negative reminder of a bad incident. I have other photos I prefer and will be changing them out.

Content does need to be updated. Much was copied and pasted from old site.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Very helpful. Keep em coming!

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Kids and dogs and cute family photos do work, but there isn't any text to go with the photo. Since one of the big ranking factors is content that is above the fold(before you scroll), I would recommend that you find a way to have text overlay on the images that Google can pick up. Also many people don't even take the time to scroll down and you want as much of a marketing message above the fold that you can. If they spend 15-30 seconds on your homepage and do not scroll, from my experience they're likely to leave your site and move on to the next. Think of the space above the fold as the online version of a postcard. You only have a little bit of time to draw them in and make it easy for them to make a decision.

Something like these...

Our Clients Love Us Banner.jpg
4 (ZD 4242) rev.png
Your-pavers-Banne.jpg
restobanner.png

FredC

Village Idiot
What do you mean by responsive? (or in this case lack thereof....)
!

not mobile friendly
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http://sosdevs.com/burdick_cleaning/

responsive is adjusting the site display depending on the device/screen................like Mikey's Board.......instead of a separate mobile site that mobile devices are directed to the content is displayed differently

https://developers.google.com/webmasters/mobile-sites/mobile-seo/responsive-design?hl=en

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I really like how you describe the different methods of cleaning to better educate customers.
This is something I need to do on our site.
The wine spill picture to me is not a bad idea, as many customers call in a panic thinking their carpet is ruined due to those accidents, so if they see it on your site I think it gives them hope? Or maybe we just have a lot of winos in my area!
I think it's coming along nicely but mobile friendly is a must!

Mikey P

Administrator
While my method is very aggressive and produces restoration style results, it will not wear the carpets out and shorten the life span. Carpet wears as the dry, gritty soil rubs against the carpet fibers and breaks them down. Taking care of your carpets by vacuuming daily and having your carpets professionally cleaned every 18-24 months to remove the soil your vacuum cleaner can’t will uphold your carpet investment.

While OUR method is very EFFECTIVE and produces restoration style results, it will not wear the carpets out and shorten the life span. Carpet wears as the dry, gritty soil rubs against the carpet fibers and breaks them down. Taking care of your carpets by vacuuming daily and having your carpets professionally cleaned every 18-24 months to remove the soil your vacuum cleaner can’t will uphold your carpet investment.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Here is some feedback as you asked.
I don't like it when you have to scroll down to see what's below the picture. The photo is to large.
Fred already hit the not responsive. This is a huge problem for you. Fix it today it hurts how you show up on search engines.
I like the contact info at the upper right. People are looking for a carpet cleaner they want to talk now.
I like the videos but they are buried. Bring them to the front.
If you want to sound like its not just family take off the "speak with the owner" "speak with a team member today"
I like the photos. Get original ones. I subscribe to big stock a great resource. Rooms with pets and kids send the message those guys make messes.
Get your location at the top. People want to know where you are.
I would loose the "window fashion cleaning". What does that mean? I work with people in the trade everyday and I have never heard a professional use that term. Would Susie home owner even know what the means? Window coverings is the term most use.
How much of your business is even from cleaning that? I bet its not 10% of your gross. Focus on your top services. That's a add on. Heck Stanley Steemer was just carpet cleaner until 2 years ago. Now they say " beyond Carpet Cleaning"

Good job your ahead of 90% of folks. Again fix the non responsive issue today its a big deal.

If you paid someone to do this and they don't know that you may have other SEO issues if they are doing that for you. I would check it out quickly. I let the owner of another bulletin board do my site 7 years ago. Things where done that caused us to have to ditch our domain.

Last edited:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Again fix the non responsive issue today its a big deal.

Remember this is on the test server for me to proof. This is not live. Our old site is still up and this one won't be launching until we have made all the updates and are made. It is the first round for me to approve the look/feel of the site and make changes before they do everything.

I really appreciate the time you've all taken to give feedback. Happy to have the extra eyes on this since this is not where my specialty is and I'm not as comfortable with this stuff as I am with other aspects of the business.

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
Remember this is on the test server for me to proof. This is not live. Our old site is still up and this one won't be launching until we have made all the updates and are made. It is the first round for me to approve the look/feel of the site and make changes before they do everything.

I really appreciate the time you've all taken to give feedback. Happy to have the extra eyes on this since this is not where my specialty is and I'm not as comfortable with this stuff as I am with other aspects of the business.
I think Katie did a nice job... I do agree with the above the fold statement. Always have, but it's hard for some people because pictures can be so pretty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom