Flash Cuffs / Cool Cuffs??

Billy

Name
BH
I have to make a decision on my Cuffs now since my Starter Cuff needs replacing again along with some of the 2.5" cuffs.

I thought I would see what others think of Flash Cuffs vs Cool Cuffs now?

I have always liked Cool Cuffs (Even with issues I have had with the Manufacture) so this isn't met as a negative post on Cool Cuffs or the Manufacture. I did have better luck with the older Latch type. The new swivel type work OK accept for the need for Gorilla tape to hold them together which also doesn't work after a while without making it thicker.

All cuffs that I have used work with air flow present so the real test is how they work & hold together when no air flow is present.

I have had what I believe was 1st gen 2.5" which literally fell apart & 2nd Gen 2.5" which overall have been good accept for the Tape. Also considering my usage the Starter breaks too often IMO.

My only experience with Flash Cuffs to date is 2" which overall has been good. I haven't purchased the 2.5" yet due to lack of Starter Cuff & reducer for use of 1.5" tools but according to Interlinks site the Starter & reducer is now available.

Billy

Name
BH
Marty said:
Unless I am mistaken, you can still get latching cool cuffs.

Not in 2.5" as far as I know.

At this point I am using a mix of 2.5" & 2" Cool Cuffs & 2" Flash Cuffs. So now I want to go with one kind for better compatibility since I need some replacements for existing ones.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Ah yes, I remember now. My 2.5's are swivel only. I quit using 2.5 hose a couple years ago and just forgot; however, I don't remember ever having a problem with the swivel cuffs coming loose.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Not sure how you are breaking the starter cuff, mine has been through at least 1500 jobs...

I have asked Joe to make latching 2.5, it was voted down here I think..

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Marty said:
Ah yes, I remember now. My 2.5's are swivel only. I quit using 2.5 hose a couple years ago and just forgot; however, I don't remember ever having a problem with the swivel cuffs coming loose.

John O just sent me 3 ........2.5 swivels and they lock together great..no problems of them coming apart...

you have to be smarter then the cuff

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
While we're on cuffs, who makes a 2.5 starter cuff to fit on 2" port? Joe can't figure out what I'm talking about.

Billy

Name
BH
Able 1 said:
Not sure how you are breaking the starter cuff, mine has been through at least 1500 jobs...

I have asked Joe to make latching 2.5, it was voted down here I think..

Not sure either since everyone knows I am very low Volume but it could be something to do with outdoor exposure possibly?

Mikey P said:
Look into the Mytee Cufflynks system.

I had a sample set but it just didn't workout for us at the time although John sending it was very appreciated.

Jim Martin said:
Marty said:

John O just sent me 3 ........2.5 swivels and they lock together great..no problems of them coming apart...

you have to be smarter then the cuff

Maybe it has been thru more revisions since mine? I am Gun Shy on buying more if they still have issues since I have had plenty already & still have a few new never used sets of one of the revisions. Also since they are no longer sold thru distributors it may be a moot issue since I don't have much of a relationship with Joe anymore.

Thanks for the replies

Based on replies no one seems to be using the 2.5" Flash Cuffs then?

Billy

Name
BH
KevinL said:
While we're on cuffs, who makes a 2.5 starter cuff to fit on 2" port? Joe can't figure out what I'm talking about.

If I am understanding what you want the only way I can think of would be to use a 2" starter & up size it to 2.5" with a short hose & fittings.

I don't think anyone has made a 2" - 2.5" Starter. My question would be, would there be any benefit to doing this?

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I have flash cuff on my new truck, never had a problem with my 2 1/2's that I use daily... but the 2" on my whip froze after a month. I had the truck for 9 months. My back up truck has Cool Cuffs also 2 1/2's. The first set only lasted about a year before they would unravel while taking the hose off the reel. The second set is still good but like a said, after 2 yrs it is only a back up truck.
Luis

Name
John LaBarbera
Billy said:
Larry Cobb said:
Since the Cuff-Lynx added the "rubber-band" for sealing,

it is the ideal cuff for TM systems:

http://ccs5.com/zen/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=4842

Larry

The issue I had was when I used the Cuff-Lynx a few times it seem to have expanded to the point it wouldn't stay threaded on to hose because it just pulled off.

I have never had this issue with Flash Cuffs or Cool Cuffs though.

The Mytee Cuff Lynx fit Amflex hose great. Flexhaugst, not the thin wall style.

Billy

Name
BH
John LaBarbera said:
The Mytee Cuff Lynx fit Amflex hose great. Flexhaugst, not the thin wall style.

Hello John your cuff did seem to thread on OK at first & I am fairly sure my 2" isn't thin walled. Not sure what the issue was I just know it would no longer stay on the hose at all after a few uses.

I was using your 2" Cuff on one hose & a Flash Cuff on another. The Flash Cuff or Cool Cuff never fell off of either hose. My Cuff-Lynx was one of your first ones though because it didn't even have the O-Rings.

Billy

Name
BH
Well we officially switched all cuffs to Flash Cuffs as of Friday. Interlink had all in-stock so I decided to give it a try.

Thanks for all the replies hopefully they work out.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Billy said:
Well we officially switched all cuffs to Flash Cuffs as of Friday. Interlink had all in-stock so I decided to give it a try.

Wow!! I never even thought the flash cuff would be in contention, please do post your findings.. !gotcha!

Billy

Name
BH
Bill Soukoreff said:
Please report back Billy.

Bill I'll do that for sure.

Able 1 said:
Billy said:

Wow!! I never even thought the flash cuff would be in contention, please do post your findings.. !gotcha!

They might not be if my current ones didn't come apart so much.

We have been using the 2" Flash Cuffs for quite awhile & I have to say they have worked GREAT. My reason for not trying 2.5" sooner was no starter cuff or 2" reducer to use on some wands.

I really started using Cool Cuffs long ago because Vinyl cuffs leaked air & wouldn't stay connected. When we purchased the Big Bear Truck we waited impatiently for a Cool Cuffs for 2.5" hose since all of our hose was 2.5" accept for two 2" lead hoses. When the first Cool Cuffs came available I purchased them but became disappointed very quickly because they would literally fall apart on the reel. Next came the 2nd complete set of new improved 2.5" Cool Cuffs. They seemed GREAT at first since they no longer fell apart on reel. Unfortunately they had a new issue, they would uncouple if no airflow was present which was bad when trying to roll up.

To fix this I was told to put Duck tape on the ends for a tighter fit which worked for a while but also was a temporary fix since over time they seem to require thicker amount of tape to be tight. Also I had to replace the starter cuff frequently due to cracking on the ends. In defense of the Starter Cuff mine are always exposed to the outdoor elements, Uv-Rays etc.

I have also heard there is another new improved version but due to distribution & my past issues with manufacture I decided not to purchased more & instead preferred to try others first.

Again my post was never intended to be an attack on any other products I just wanted to see if anyone had experience good or bad that could help me with my decision as to which cuff is best for my use. In the 4 years the Big Bear Truck has been around I have completely changed cuffs 4 times. It is a significant investment to change all cuffs & accessory cuffs though so I wanted to make a more informed decision.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Do the flash cuffs seal good on the hose or do they need gorilla glue?

Did you gorilla glue the 2.5" cool cuffs on the hose?

Billy

Name
BH
Bill Soukoreff said:
Do the flash cuffs seal good on the hose or do they need gorilla glue?

Did you gorilla glue the 2.5" cool cuffs on the hose?

I actually never use glue on cuffs since I have had so many failed ones which would have meant allot of hose length loss.

As for Cool Cuffs mine have always stayed on & sealed well with electrical tape as a thread sealer.

I just purchased & installed all the Flash Cuffs Friday so I haven't used them yet at all & may not for a few more days due to dealing with my wife's loss of her Dad & the funeral arrangements etc.

One thing from Cool Cuffs I will continue to use is the 1.5" insert sleeve which I have 5 of already. I wouldn't say Cool Cuffs are all bad & I would definitely stick with them if there was nothing else comparable. I am just looking for something that solves the things I don't like about them which may not bother some like it does me.

Billy

Name
BH
Ok I have now used Flash Cuffs a few times so thought I would share my experience so far.

1. I have a few Female cuffs that will not completely lock onto the Male cuffs. Interlink has already said they will replace when new stock is delivered since I bought all they had.

2. The O-Ring is a pain because it will not stay in place & frequently blocks the coupling process. Also it gets pulled into Pre-Filter sometimes. So far at least one on every job.

3. So far the O-Ring doesn't seem to be causing a air leak or water leak so not sure it is even needed.

4. I am able to roll up all hose with Electric reel without it uncoupling in the process so far.

5. It still gets caught on steps etc same as other cuffs.

6. They work with all tools we use at this time with the addition of the 1.5" Cool Cuff inserts we already had.

7. Very Quiet around cuff.

8. the treads seal good on all my hose 2.5" & 2"

Overall impression: Too soon to judge yet but looks promising so far. I wouldn't trust them without extra safety line to stay together on a multi-story building but I don't trust any cuff in that situation.

I have also decided I may take another look at Cuff Lynx for comparison.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom