For Those Still Using Regular Oil......

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Not synthetic, what weight are you using, 'specially the 4 cyl owners? I'm still using 30 wt Pennsoil because my engine never gets cold. It stays in a heated garage when not in use. Ford recommends 30 wt if above 40*, or a 10-40 if under that temp. Now, are they talking about the engine temp as it sits, or the temp that it is "breathing" in while running in sub-freezing temps??

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
rwcarpet said:
Not synthetic, what weight are you using, 'specially the 4 cyl owners? I'm still using 30 wt Pennsoil because my engine never gets cold. It stays in a heated garage when not in use. Ford recommends 30 wt if above 40*, or a 10-40 if under that temp. Now, are they talking about the engine temp as it sits, or the temp that it is "breathing" in while running in sub-freezing temps??

The oil viscosity vs temperature charts all refer to the ambient temperature, or the temperature of the air surrounding the engine. The temperature of the intake air is not what is referred to.

They basically assume the engine is under the hood of a vehicle, and so really mean outside air temp.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
They mean the operating temp of the oil. BUT! The reason they say ambient temp is because the oil is at ambient when you first start your engine. If it is too thick it cant flow properly at start up. Especially into the small orifices in the lifters and such. Once its warmed up its fine but it still leaves you a few minutes of no lube in some areas. I would stick with the 10-40.

Magic One

I would stick with the 30 wt. since you have been using it since been new. HM says you will use more oil with the 10-30.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom