Forbo Carpet

Jon

Has anyone worked with this. It was installed in one of my supermarkets, produce area. I met with reps & they told me a neutral pre-spray & self contained extractor. They told me to stop thinking like a carpet cleaner, this carpet is different......300 gazillion fibers. Any help would be appreciated

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
Images are helpful.

If they are loop pile carpet tiles with a pile height of 6mm then yes I have.

I pre sprayed then flooded the carpet with the wand as I cleaned then extracted.

It has a permanent non porous membrane at the base so flooding isn't an issue.

It was easy to clean.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I would not listen to that guy and keep thinking like a carpet cleaner. You're gonna get a lot of oils from the parking lot on that carpet. I'd look for a ph of around 9.5-10 and rinse with just plain water. Just get a ph meter and test it before you clean it to justify what ph respray you'll use

scotty747

"Stop thinking like a mechanic. Nawadays its all ball bearings and gauze. What do you need a refresher course?"
Clean it like nylon.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Has anyone worked with this. It was installed in one of my supermarkets, produce area. I met with reps & they told me a neutral pre-spray & self contained extractor. They told me to stop thinking like a carpet cleaner, this carpet is different......300 gazillion fibers. Any help would be appreciated
a self contained extractor doesn't do anything different from a box extractor or truck mount. Just clean it like you would clean any commercial nylon. You can also use a brush pro, cimex or op machine.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Marmoleum makes a product called Forbo which they consider resilient flooring even though it is made from nylon. Here are some notes I made after working with a cleaner on one of these who was trained by Mamrmoleum / Forbo. The results were good on the floor we did. It was treated more like a vinyl floor than carpet.

Marmoleum Forbo Notes

From a Forbo trained cleaner

If you ever strip the top Shield (1 or 2) off just do 2 coats of matte finish, gloss finish is not recommended for this type of resilient flooring. If you need a deeper cleaning just use a rubber floor Stripper about a 10 on the pH scale and don't let it dwell for too long.

If stripping is necessary chemical burns are possible and some undiluted acid can help remedy this issue. When using floor Stripper or fixing a damaged floor use an SPP or thin maroon pad to slightly sand off the top layer of the floor this should be done consistently throughout and explain the process to the client, and let them know the damaged areas won't be perfect before you get work authorization signed/start working. Depending on the damage to the floor, patching is almost always a better option. Call Forbo, they can recommend installers.

To be honest we all know neutral cleaners and a red pad don't do much so take what they (Forbo reps) say with a grain of salt. Try and keep a cleaner around 8.5 to 9 around and some solvents to do the detail work and if possible try to stay away from using darker pads while cleaning. You can use white, red, pink, and the lighter blue pads with no issues.

Forbo is also really good at passing along the blame so do thorough pre inspections to look for bad installations, or prior damage, these floors are not the strongest and require a bit of care.

Name
Matt Ross
I have a large clinic with marmoleum in it. It's two years old and it looks terrible. We have maintained as you have described but it is full of deep scratches and it has chunks missing and the seams are opening up. It's a joke.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
because its so dense you need to vacuum more than you've ever vacuumed before

heavy dose of prespray to penetrate, I wouldnt go high pH

its also hard to rinse for the same reason, so high flow medium heat with lots of dry passes because it can wick like crazy

take some airmovers

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
It sounds like Floatex / Walkatex. The carpet is linoleum with nylon baby bum fluff.
The issue with these carpets is the bazillion little nylon baby bottom fluff yarns hold detergent like your ex holds your retirement.

In Australia there are special chemicals for cleaning it. IF it gets full of soap you can just get a watering can and fill it, pour the water over the carpet like it's hard floor and scrub with a pad. Then use a big floor squeegee to gather all the soapy foam up like raking leaves into a pile. Suck it up with your machine's hose cuff.

These seem to low moisture clean well with Release It Encap Clean DS and a soft white nylon pad.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock

Forget the chemical in this clip.

Here's the rub.

This manufacturer is somewhat paranoid about soap retention with this carpet. It's why they told you to use a neutral spray. It's OK to use pretty much whatever you like but getting it out is the trick.

This is how you get excess soap from Floatex.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Three observations:
  1. Anything done in milliliters blows goats. Use ounces like God intended.
  2. Dadgum it Oz, vowels are NOT randomly interchangeable!
  3. The Hydrowasher is an outstanding piece of gear, but the one with a two-sided handle (DP 420) is much better than only one side.

Otherwise, good info.

• Haha
Reactions: Mikey P and GeeeAus

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Three observations: but only two answers
  1. Anything done in milliliters blows goats. Use ounces like God intended. Did the big Guy upstairs speak Hebrew? If so the largest measure was Metretes John 2:6
  2. Dadgum it Oz, vowels are NOT randomly interchangeable! The main speaker was a POM the strangulated voiceovers were an Ocker
  3. The Hydrowasher is an outstanding piece of gear, but the one with a two-sided handle (DP 420) is much better than only one side.
Otherwise, good info.
One of our regular accounts had Flotex floorcoverings for years a 24/7 medical place with all the drunks & druggies, - pukers, pissers, bleeders and hurlers. We tried various ways of cleaning it but the best results we got were a heavy flush with truckmount cranked up to max heat. We never used solvents as it is a flocked fibre.
It is a good product wears well and generally cleans easily.
roro

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom