ford econoline or chevy express?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I am in the market to do a van rotation and get rid of my 93 backup van and put my 05 on reserve once I get a new van to put my steam action in. I have an 05 e250 that has runs perfect with 135k on the odometer. with my white magic tm in it. I want to get another van so I can keep the ford in good shape and not run it in to the ground. I have been happy with the ford econoline series but am open to a gmc or chevy. I need a van that can pull a trailor with my vct stuff as well as support a small steam action nike tm with 100 gallon fresh water tank. I saw a chevy express with a 6.0 engine that I think would work . I have really been pleased with my ford but would like to hear some pros and cons from you turds. I have about 10- 12k available to spend ( or should I say debbie at the bank does)

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Love my 05 chevy with 168k on it the 6.0 is awesome. I can out run many mustangs. But I think my ford is more durable. Less chincy stuff on the dash.the new fords dash is nice....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

davendana

Name
d Jackass
05 2500 express extended van here. Love it with the 6.0 also, 170k problem free miles

Chris A

Name
Chris
The 6.0 is a great motor but a fookin gas hog for sure. If your trailer is under 3,000 lbs or so Id try to find one with the 4.8/5.3.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
We have 2 Ford E-250s with the 5.4 triton. One has 101,000 and the other 60,000 or so. They both are solid vans and will be buying more Fords in the future. I also have a Ford super crew short bed F-150 4x4 that is the best truck ever! the ride for a 4x4 is amazing.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
For 10-12K you should be able to find a good Van and truckmount. I would upgrade to a machine with a number 4 blower and sell off the steamaction. OR better yet, hold your money untell You have enough revenue coming in from your current truckmounts (at least 100k / yr) to justify a purchase then buy what you really want. It sounds like at this point, only half of your revenue comes from a truckmount.

Name
R.J. Povio
I like the Ford van. If buying a Ford check the front end, particularly the ball joints. If they are bad its a $700 to $1000 job depending on where you get all 4 done. Replace with greaseable ones for sure. That is the only real major problem that we have had on our vans. We have had half ton, 3/4, and 1 tons and the ball joints all seem to last about the same mileage.

If buying a Chevy check the door hinges especially the side if it doesn't have a slider and the rear doors. The Chevys are notorious for having the hinges bind and break right off. Make sure you oil them frequently.

Change the tranny and coolant fluids frequently. We change the tranny fluild every 15-20k. Coolant every other year. It makes a big difference with the trannys especially.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
ACE said:
For 10-12K you should be able to find a good Van and truckmount. I would upgrade to a machine with a number 4 blower and sell off the steamaction. OR better yet, hold your money untell You have enough revenue coming in from your current truckmounts (at least 100k / yr) to justify a purchase then buy what you really want. It sounds like at this point, only half of your revenue comes from a truckmount.
Sorry ace the steam action is gonna stay. For one it only had 600 hours and for 2 it doesnt require a fuel tap and it is the most simple machine I have ever saw ( heat exchanger, blower, pump, and motor bolted to a metal frame) I can always keep it as a back up and it is super easy to work on not to much you can simply replace components and keep it forever. I do eventualy want a bigger tm but since I have 2 tm's right now one with 600 hours and one with 1500 hours I cant justify getting aother machine. I know ignorance is bliss but a number 3 blower on both my units has suited my needs just fine. with my current 93 back up van I cant really take it out of town and I dont like that. My ford has to work harder than I like to pull my trailor so I dont want to destroy my engine . I have been getting alot of vct work and much of it is on the road so I gotta get somthing that hauls better

mcatt

Name
Mike
Same here with a Ford E-250. Bought mine used and she is a great van however the neutral switch took a dump on me recently, no big deal though. Also had to replace the fuel pump not to long ago as well but, all typical type stuff.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
juniorc82 said:
It doesnt require a fuel tap and it is the most simple machine I have ever saw

:lol: :lol: :lol: That cuz the fuel tank sits on top of the 13hp engine.

You know your business better than me but I say, drive them into the ground till they are paid for. If you think of carpet cleaning as your primary business, the Rebel would make a better flagship machine than the WeenieAction.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Just a couple of observations:

1. Econoline vans are being replaced by the european Transit van,
so parts will be less plentiful.

2. I prefer Chevy vans in general, for door access, etc.

3. Eco-Boost is the engine to get if you decide on Ford.

Larry

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Larry Cobb said:
Just a couple of observations:

1. Econoline vans are being replaced by the european Transit van,
so parts will be less plentiful.

2. I prefer Chevy vans in general, for door access, etc.

3. Eco-Boost is the engine to get if you decide on Ford.

Larry

Ecoboost engine is over rated in my book as we have one in A f150 and does the same gas mileage as the v8 5.0 both are 2011 models

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom