Ford Van - hard to start

Jamesh921

Name
James
My 2001 Ford E-350 van with the V-10 engine has served me well over the past 11 years. But now it's showing some signs of age.

It has always started quickly. When I turn the key, it would usually start after the engine "turned over" about 3 or 4 times.

But NOW, it has to turn over 10, 12 or sometimes 15 times before it will fire up and start.

It runs fine after it starts. And after it warms up, sometimes it starts up right away, and sometimes it has to turn over 12 - 15 times before it'll start again.

It doesn't bog down. Doesn't cut out, spit or sputter. So, what's causing this?

Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Suggestions?

Thanks

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i think that engine has a crank trigger...that gets weak or wears out.........about a $30 part.....

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Well........ if you get the required tune ups and do maintenance you should remember the last time u changed the fuel filter
How many times have u changed trans fluid? Should be about 5 times
Same with coolant
Spark plugs?
I would check your mass air flow sensor. This sometimes causes this problem on the fords.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Becker

Name
Becker
Try this. Turn key all the way on. But not start. Then off after about 5 sec. Then back on but this time to start.

If it fires quicker more than likely fuel pump or filter.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Routine change of spark plugs, new air filters? Even a high mileage engine should start normal. How many miles on the engine and did it get reg. maintenance?

Jamesh921

Name
James
Yep, regular maintenance. Just changed the air filter 4000 miles ago. Engine has 150k on it.

Battery? Well, not sure but I think it's about 5 yrs old. It cranks hard, not sluggish at all.

Haven't changed the plugs. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming this engine has coil packs on each cylinder. Changing the plugs ain't a shade tree mechanics job anymore.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Coil-overs or standard wires, takes 3 things to run a piston engine, fuel, air and spark. Plugs, oil and air filters and thee most over looked long term maintenance items. Yes I know plugs on a van are difficult to change. On my 05 E350 it takes me 2-3 casual hours to change. Shops want $300-400 in my area. I did in 45 min one time but the stars must have been aligned perfectly.

150k miles on the engine certainly isn't worn out. I know of two v-10 fords one with 240k and the other with 250k still pulling trailers.

5 years on a lead acid start battery is most of its usefull life, time change that, cost you $75-$95, clean the inside of cable connectors.

Bite down hard and find a shop to change your plugs for a reasonable fee. You are overdue for them. It you have standard plug wires, install new. Coil overs don't have the same replacement recommendations as standard wires, but make sure they apply some electrical insulating compound on the connection points.

Until you have experienced a smoother running engine after a plug (especially a long overdue change) change you won't be a believer.

Start running Marvel Mystery oil in your fuel 4oz per 10 gal, and a qt of Marvel in the crankcase. They don't call it Marvel Mystery for nothing. Don't be alarmed after the adding it the first time with the oil change to see dirty oil after 3-4 days. It's gently cleaning. Same things going on in your fuel system. It's so much cheaper then in the past because of the knock off products out there. $4 for 32oz at Walmart.

For sure spark plugs, and throw in new air filter as well. Fuel, air and spark, never changing basics.

clean one

My 95 has been doing this for about 6 months now. When it starts it runs great even at highway speeds. It might go a week or more without problems. But does seem when it sits over the weekend its hard to start. I can turn key on and off till i hear the pump running and it fires right up. I'm going to check the wiring connector to see if it is corroded was told this van also has a fuel pump relay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom