fords new 2014 van

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
They replace the old van at the end of 2013, so if you like Fords and PTO units, better get the current van while you can.

The downside to the diesel is the urea injection system, which at least in BMWs and Mercedes adds enough cost to kill any savings from getting better fuel mileage. Somehow I don't think that will be the engine of choice for most buyers.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Connor

Name
Connor
If you're talking to me, you can get Hackney in van chassis or pickup chassis or just about anything you want. they even make them for single axle trucks.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012...it-van-fuel-efficient-diesel-option-unveiled/

ford is coming out with a 5 cylinder diesel in the new vans. looks like this would be interesting with a spartan `12 foot box and single rear axle. I bet the mpg would be really good. The power would be just ok as this motor doesn't appear to have a huge rating but it would be better than a v8 gas motor.

The transit has a 197 horsepower and 347 lb-ft of torque.
the 5.4l triton 255 HP and 357lb-ft
torque.

The drop in Hp and slight drop in torque is well worth the 20-30% increase in fuel economy

steve g

Name
steve garrett
this is the type of box I am talking about with single axle. didn't see a hackney like it. I think its actually the perfect truckmount setup

http://www.supremecorp.com/supreme.php?page=product&body=parcel&product=8

as for urea, IMO its a great thing it brings back the mileage lost by excessive emissions standards. diesels with it get as good or better fuel mileage as before there were any regulations. I have a 2011 ford with it and it gets great mileage, if the truck was lighter I think it would be better mileage than my old 93 dodge with mechanical cummins.

Connor

Name
Connor
this is the type of box I am talking about with single axle. didn't see a hackney like it. I think its actually the perfect truckmount setup

as for urea, IMO its a great thing it brings back the mileage lost by excessive emissions standards. diesels with it get as good or better fuel mileage as before there were any regulations. I have a 2011 ford with it and it gets great mileage, if the truck was lighter I think it would be better mileage than my old 93 dodge with mechanical cummins.

They make one called the DC 1000 that is similar to the Spartan body above. Hackney can also give you rollup doors on the side for hose reels and such. There are a few guys running that Spartan body for service and none have said they'd buy another one. The Hackney box is all aluminum and is re-mountable to another truck.

http://www.hackneyplumbing.com/products/drain_dc1000_specs.php

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Steve, I see that the cost of urea has dropped dramatically since the German Blu-Tec system came out. No longer a cost issue.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
not sure of a box but I drove a new style ford van in europe. Those things would be perfect for carpet cleaning. The cargo area is boxier, allowing more sq footage of room and the diesels get great mileage. I don't know why the rest of the world uses vans like that and the us uses the old style vans.

I really really enjoyed driving it and my thought was that I can't wait for america to be producing them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

I have just like that but with Chevy not a Ford. Nice truck rides like a regular van but you have the box.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Look like a sprinter with their straight 5.
In Florida I would much rather have FPR than an aluminum oven

Plus FPR better noise isolator and easier to upfit.

Diesel is a 20% premium. And current urea mix doesn't match pre 2007. In

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
My 2012 f250 uses urea and in 6000 miles I have not had to fill it once. I remember in my 2011 I had to fill it once at a cost of maybe 30 dollars.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
my ford f250 uses about 1 gal of urea /1000 miles a little more in the summers, the tank holds about 5 gallons and I fill up at the truck stops every couple months, bought at the pump its about 2.79/gal.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
how much less square footage is there in the rear of these newer styled vans (sprinter/transit/NV) compared to an extended van?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Unless the price of diesel comes down or I start driving super high miles I just can't see justifying the extra cost, the breakeven point is so far down the road its hardly worth it. I'm also curious why Ford doesn't do a Direct-Injected V8 for the heavier duty vans instead of the Ecoboost, I bet lots of those are gonna get toasted from being overloaded and driven too hard...

Reactions: Dolly Llama

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Unless the price of diesel comes down or I start driving super high miles I just can't see justifying the extra cost, the breakeven point is so far down the road its hardly worth it. I'm also curious why Ford doesn't do a Direct-Injected V8 for the heavier duty vans instead of the Ecoboost, I bet lots of those are gonna get toasted from being overloaded and driven too hard...

are you talking direct injection plus turbo charging like the ecoboost?? if so the main appeal to the v6 eco motor is its fuel efficiency. the epa and tree huggers think they can keep squeezing more and more fuel economy out of car makers, but I think there is a point where it will reach as far as it can go. The way they are getting extra fuel mileage out of the ecoboost motor and for that matter even my 2011 f250 powerstroke, is by making the power come in at a lower RPM thus the wasted energy of spinning up all those internal parts is taken away at lower rpm's. a v8 DI turbo would be a high performance engine which would be cool in its own right but wouldn't get the mileage of the eco v6. the eco v6 is putting out more torque than the old big block v8's that were used in towing applications of the 70's, 80's and even 90's at a diesel like low RPM to boot.

with all that said I always wonder how the ecoboost engine is going to last once it gets close to or over 100k miles. especially with heavy loads. in my experience running small block v8's in heavy load environments it was never a recipe for durability beyond 100k and even smaller motor with even more power put through it I just have to wonder. I also think that running heavy loads with the ecoboost will negate its efficiency advantage for the most part and leave it no better than a standard v8. this is where diesel gains its advantage. and running a small box on a cutaway diesel van could make a good argument for savings. I try as best I can to figure total cost of operation and fuel cost makes or breaks the equation.

Last edited:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
There isn't a huge savings with a sprinter but the service intervals are 10K for an oil change vs.
3K but it's going to cost a little more than double a gas van for an oil change. We're getting a solid 20 MPG vs. 14-16 with the ford van.
The urea runs at a rate of about a gallon per 1k-1200 miles you are looking at 5-9 cents per gallon of fuel in added cost in 1,000 miles at 20 mpg

If you're gonna cry about it tack on 5 buck a job and move on there are more importing things in life to worry about

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have never gotten 14-16 mpg in any v8 van except maybe pure highway. when loaded with a truckmount and with the truckmount pulling from the tank probably say 3 gallons a day I would average about 10mpg. with a mix of city and highway most of the v8 pickups I have driven were around 12-13mpg.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I have never gotten 14-16 mpg in any v8 van except maybe pure highway. when loaded with a truckmount and with the truckmount pulling from the tank probably say 3 gallons a day I would average about 10mpg. with a mix of city and highway most of the v8 pickups I have driven were around 12-13mpg.

are you driving up hill ....both ways?

fully loaded ext cargo (weighs in at 8000 give or take) 5.4ltr Triton gets 18 mpg hiway at 70mph+ with AC on
gas was $3.24 this morning ..Diesel is $3.94

donno anything about box trucks though
i do know that city mileage has most to do with the dude behind the wheel

..L.T.A.

rhyde

Name
rhyde

Thats with our 01 - 6 cylinder 150 van mostly city driving

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We have an 11 f150 with the ecoboost and even with my boat hooked up, we still get about 17 mpg.

gas in Texas before I left was 2.89 at Kroger and diesel was 3.28.

Chris A

Name
Chris
We have an 11 f150 with the ecoboost and even with my boat hooked up, we still get about 17 mpg.

gas in Texas before I left was 2.89 at Kroger and diesel was 3.28.

Wow, Diesel has been steady up here at $3.99 even as gas has plummeted...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom