Fractional Owership

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Fractional ownership in high end toys like airplanes, boats and real estate like condominiums has been in existence for a long time.

The advantage are many, risk are reduced and by and large the real reason for most fractional agreements is that the buy in cost is reduced.

So my question is this; does it make sense for restorers to form fractional agreements for large scale drying equipment like; trailer mounted desiccants, high output generators, etc.

As a pilot, I had checked into many fract opportunities, each of which were very affordable. The concept I that each owner is responsible for the buy in cost, plus a nominal fee per hour used.

All fract owners are maintenance and other miscellaneous cost based on their time in aircraft. The biggest advantage is that one has access to large scale equipment without the full cost. Like mentioned, there are disadvantages as well.

This is just a thought for discussion.

Mikey P

Administrator
If Eric from Quality Carpet Care, I'd reading this I'd like to offer a time share for my two Dri Pods and 4 Omni Minis.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I'm not a restorer, but my understanding is when a loss occurs you need it now, unlike an aircraft or boat that you can schedule in advance. What if both parties needed the equipment at the same time - or were competing for the same job? Who wins?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I hate sharing.

However in saying that I have a huge air compressor for soda blasting that sits way too much. Probably should have rented instead of buying.

I think it could have potential, I have rented TES trailers from Interlink and another cleaning when our trailer wasn't enough for the project or we had multiple needs at the same time.

Dan did point out an issue that would need to be addressed and carved in stone, should the situation arise.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Richard I am referring to commercial drying equipment. I have rented soda blasters countless times from a guy out of St. Joe Missouri. It was profitable doing it that way, however I'm still glad I never purchased one of those because it world have sat idle most of the time. My business model focuses on the commercial sector first, residential second. While we are continually adding equipment to our inventory, we simply don't have large scale drying equipment yet. We have secured multiple large institutions as their service provider.

I do have good relationships with some large restorers who can respond rapidly, or I could rent from one of many larger rental companies, but less profit:(

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I do have good relationships with some large restorers who can respond rapidly, or I could rent from one of many larger rental companies, but less profit
I think it would depend on your expected use. If infrequent I'd make sure you have multiple resources for them and take the percentage.

You'll not have to worry about maintenance, setup, travel.

I'd sub the extraction too. Just get your semi trailer full of airmover there.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The problem would be logistics and who gets when, because when the weather gets like it is now, how will who decide who gets it?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Aggreko is big biz, and you really need to have an account setup prior to needing to rent equipment to ensure profitability through normal rental rates.

They handle all of our generator deliveries, setups, and even refuels on cat scenarios. We give the a large percentage of our money on each line item but without them we don't make any money from equipment running.

That and that they are all over the country and can get you equipment just about as fast as anyone could get you something but again profit wise it will hurt, but again they are almost doing everything for you with what equipment you are renting.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd call them if I need them. So far we haven't needed them....or YOU! :winky:

I didn't see your ass posting the link, so STEP off! .

I'm trying to win that FREE Aerotec that's being giving away this year for the most helpful.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom