Fried the pump on my Boxxer 421....How do I remove clutch from pump?

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Hook it up to the hose and open the wand up on the other end.

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
Take the 3/4 lug nut with a Phillips screwdriver and torque the flux valve against the crank. If she has play then bleed the adaptor 1/8 inch until it fills with water. You'll need a 18mm vice grip to spin her loose all the way, plug in the Electrolux and chip it 4 times. Then open 14th Keystone Light.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I gotta ask the obvious questions: did running the old one dry cause it to fry? If so, then there is a water supply problem.
Are the inlet and out hoses hooked in the right spot?
And make sure the clutch is clicking when you turn it on, that way you know it's getting water.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Hook the water line up. Disconnect the inlet water line to the pump. Turn on the water slowly and water should come out. If it doesn't work back until you find water. The water should flow pretty fast. Let it drain and make sure your water box is properly filling. If it does hook up the pump and disconnect plug on the oposite side. again with water on it should flow. All this is before you start it. If you have water on both side the pump has water and you should be fine. If your inlet for the garden hose has a screen at the truck check for desbri. I don't understand a pump not being protected by a low pressure switch. You could add one if your so inclined.
I didn't proof read but it sounded correct as I was typing it.
Sort on time
Gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If you run your garden hose straight to the pump you have to filter it. Probably at least 80 mesh, 100 would be better. Crap from the hose, sand and other stuff will kill the pump

gene

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
What ended up being the problem with the pressure?

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I'm no help on rebuilding a pump. Mine was toast cuz it lost oil. Replaced the whole pump. If you need to do that....it's fresh in my head. Feel free to give me a buzz.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
The pressure problem on the new pump appeared to be a priming issue. I had to hook the garden hose directly to the pump and run some water through it. After that, she purred like a kitten.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Good to hear Dirk! Also props to Charlie and all the guys who talked you through it. Also glad to hear you got over the anal bleeding from Jon Don. Over charging you 300 bucks. But they pay for Banner ads here so they have Mikeys blessing . Back in the day Mikey wud have been crawling up there ass. He would have had three warnings by now from Evan. LMFAO. Its all about that Paper Baby!!

Waldo

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Thank you for all the help gentlemen! I would have had to punt on this install without the help. Three things specifically helped me out...

1. The mentioning of the set screws (the diagram in my boxxer manual doesn't show them)

2. Recommending a gear puller. JonDon said the clutch would pull right off after taking set screws out. Also said NOT to use a gear puller. Nonsense.....no way was that clutch coming off without the $15 puller from harbor freight.

3. Recommending hooking pressurized water directly to the pump. The pump wouldn't prime until I ran water through it with a garden hose. After that, she fired right up and ran like a champ!

A copy of my pump diagram....you can see that it shows where screws may be, but none shown in the exploded view......

View attachment 4386

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You didn't mention me? #4. Moral support from the Doc. It's ok be honest, that's really what got you through this.
LOL

Seriously we have some great minds here and it sure is nice that not only are they knowledgeable but very very helpful. You guys are the best!

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Just imagine if jon don charged Mikey double for the price of a pump and they did not have a banner ad here. BOY wud he be having fun here. Buying a banner ad buys you protection. DOES Mikey care about the grass root cleaner anymore? TOO bad John G is too broke to buy a banner ad. MIKEY would br promoting Tip Blooming all day long. LMFAO! !!!

Golden Boy

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Just an update in case someone reads this in the future.....

Use lock washers and some "medium" thread lock when re-attaching pump to unit. Mine came with regular washers and I assume they used thread lock when the machine was originally built.

I didn't do this when putting the pump back on originally, and the bastard came loose from vibration a couple times one day. What a site!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom