Fringe damage from Moore machine

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I recently brought a batch of machine made wool rugs with fringes to be cleaned at a local plant that I use. This plant cleans the rugs with a Moore machine.

After delivering the paper wrapped rugs to the customer, I received an email from them saying that the fringes appeared to have been trimmed unevenly. I called the plant to discuss it with the manager, and was advised that the fringes were not trimmed, but it is common for older damaged/worn fringe areas to be "worn off" by the action of the machine.

How common is this??

Does this also happen when cleaning in a pit with a rotary, or is it just that the Moore machine is too aggressive??

Do you warn all customers of possible fringe damage regardless of cleaning technique??

Reactions: GCCLee

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The Moore roll-a-jet can't hurt fringe, but I suppose a Moore brush machine could, just like any other rotary or CRB shampoo brush. Sort of odd that the manager would shrug about fringe being "worn off by the machine" since a lot of rug fringe is weakened by point-of-manufacture bleaching and age and will come apart when sticky soils are cleaned away.

A key test for any fringed rug is to gently tug on the fringe, particularly in wear areas, and see if it comes off. Let the customer know the damage is done, and outside of being cautious when cleaning, only replacement will fix the problem. If you don't have this discussion, and make a note of it, three months later a customer may call and tell you her fringe is falling off from whatever you did to it.

Reactions: Ken Snow and GCCLee

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
That is the first thing I do . I tug the fringe right in front of the customer. There are so much people that bleach fringe and weaken it. Now if it don't break off easily it is fine.

Last edited:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I concur with the sage remarks of the others.

Over bleached fringes degrade cotton warp fringes as time goes on. Not to be overlooked is the vacuuming procedures in home that can acerbate the problem. Pre-inspect to know what to expect.

Some of the Moore machine owners really love their brush machines. Yet, others hate the pile distortion it has caused and decided to removed the brushing device off their machine.

We are currently working on a project for Robert Mann that involves replacing the brush components off a machine that he bought used. Two rollers are being installed that will compress and roll, rather than scrub. (The concept is like the roll-a-jet) This modified Moore machine will be installed in Robert Mann's facility later this year.

Ron K

I feel that most Large production type cleaners can't spend the time or have the space to wash and dry the fringe properly and they just spray bleach on them and never remove or rinse the bleach out. I believe you can use a "Bleaching Type" products safely if you rinse them out.
Our process though time consuming is:
After the rugs have dried;
Pre-spray fringe with O.R. Shampoo
Agitate
allow to dwell
only if needed mix a WEAK "Bleaching solution"
Never on Wool or silk
apply with 1 Quart sprayer
then pressure wash with hot water
then vacuum them out
then dry them placing air movers to speed dry.
After dried comb out and trim.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom