Frozen Pipes

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
So it's been like Christmas around here....we've been getting calls after calls, and working for the last 28 hours (literally) non stop, and they still keep coming in.

My goal is to hit 6 figures by the end of the week..."it's a goal to shoot for".

Kinda enjoying this very cold weather after all.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
So it's been like Christmas around here....we've been getting calls after calls, and working for the last 28 hours (literally) non stop, and they still keep coming in.

My goal is to hit 6 figures by the end of the week..."it's a goal to shoot for".

Kinda enjoying this very cold weather after all.

Took me 6 hours to drive to Chicago yesterday from Indy, normally a little over 3. Got to our Chicago store and was nearly run over by all of the drying equipment leaving the front door. The worst has not hit yet. Going to be 43 in Indy today and that will turn that foot of snow into money.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Us too, we're just doing extractions, but at $250/hr its adding a nice chunk to our January numbers! Luckily residential is pretty slow so we've been able to get to all of them.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
The worst has not hit yet. Going to be 43 in Indy today...
Uhh, Bill... for this special group I think that would be "the BEST has not hit yet"!

Seriously though, in a remarkable burst of prophecy just a few weeks ago we emailed out a QuickTIP on "Water Damage Triage". When the phone is ringing off the hook and you can't remotely get to all the losses out there then why not "interview" the caller before accepting their job?

The link above has the "interview script" that will help you pre-determine which losses are a)"problematical" and b)offer the most profit. If you can't get to 'em all why not choose the "sweetest ones" and let your competition suffer through the losers?

Steve

PS I'll grudgingly admit that big Billy is right on one thing- there is a "delayed reaction" in a below-zero event like this. Once things thaw it is going to get really interesting!

I remember once we pulled up and there were frozen waterfalls coming out of the windows of a very high end but isolated home! The home owner had gone on a two week trip to Hawaii and shortly after he left his heating system failed and we had the "Siberian Express" hit Colorado with lows of 20 below! 3 feet of water in that house for over a week! Ah memories... :)

Reactions: GCCLee

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wow six figures?

I think we will be 60-80K this week for water work but we're still in the middle of the chaos, so its too early to tell yet.
It started out fun but Tuesday/Wednesday was a beat down, more work than we could handle it was rough.

We still have plenty of equipment and water trucks available but now its time to monitor and check 250 or more pieces of equipment. Have to finish up what we've done before we can go much further.

Going to be another fun day! :errf:

Name
Lee Stockwell
Heads should roll at Murray State. Due to an "interruptable contract" with TVA almost all power was shut off during break, and -5 deg storm.

Perhaps millions in damage.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Oh there is usually a second smaller round created from these cold spells. Once it warms up people wash their cars and....unknowingly flood their basements while wondering why the water pressure is low.

Saturday, Sunday and Monday here are 45, 55, 54 and sunny.

Time to wash the carrrr?
:eekk:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
We have had frozen pipes and water extractions like crazy here. We have had a lot of fire sprinkler heads bust in apartments. Most people here are going nuts and ran out of equipment. I love it!

Samsung galaxy S 4

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey Joey, long time no see. Congrats!

We just sent 3-water trucks to a corporate office park........accountants suite, 5,000 sq/ft flooded, wet tiles, wet documents, wet everything. :dejection:

It's still crazy here, no rest for the weary. :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
We have been running since Tuesday. We are out of equipment in the city. I talked with a guy who has been in the industry 30 years he told me he has never seen anything like this.

Richard glad to here this week is rocking. We are going to have a record month also.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We're finally getting caught up, only two jobs yesterday. Still dry structure at some big commercial jobs and I think 14-jobs left to monitor today.

I think we will be all done by Monday unless we get more from a second round from people washing cars.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee

I'm gonna wait to sit through Doc's class before doing another one. Maybe Freddy will leave me alone then : )

Raining like crazy down here today. Been along time since the whole street was rolling water. ahh gonna go eat a cinnamon roll screw it : )

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

There was this guy selling some primo shit in your area.....wait I think he sold it all. :p

Who would have know, we used to get this kind of run a couple of times a winter. And this is the first time we've had one like this in 3-years.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

There was this guy selling some primo shit in your area.....wait I think he sold it all. :p

Who would have know, we used to get this kind of run a couple of times a winter. And this is the first time we've had one like this in 3-years.

And Again I say....I thought your were my friend Richard! LoL :icon_razz:

Connor

Name
Connor
Last week we were down to 12 degrees and the some of the wdr guys were telling people it would be a week. The insurance adjusters can't keep up either. Lots of townhouses and condos with vinyl siding were singing the blues.

I'm a jerk.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Man those are some crazy numbers you guys are reaching. We don't have anything like that here in California but the warm weather is keeping business steady

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
All I can say is wow...thank god for the Brazilian coffee at 711...gotta be up again at 6am for the 8th day of Christmas for another "double shift"...my guys are pulling thru..haven't done the #'s yet don't want to spare the moment.

2 of my claims have been reassigned to higher level adjusters, those are going to be real nice.

Happy for everyone getting the work, I've sent all my carpet cleaning to my competitors, we'll be booked for weeks out w/ all the projects.

Last edited:

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
My aunt and uncle live in Delaware and they hardly get snow each winter and have gotten quite a bit and he just had a pipe burst underneath the crawlspace today. High of 18 and single digit lows in Delaware?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I hope there are frozen pipes every year from now on, next year we will be even more prepared, we closed at 15 jobs in 3 weeks of january, still have several xactimates to put together, and an entire month's of work, we stop doing cleanings, unless its a whole house and they can wait...we are booked till march.

Looking to put a big order 200-400 fans and 20 plus dehus in the next few months so I can take over the world.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom