Frustrating

steve_64

I had to add a little antifreeze to mine tonight also. Replaced radiator Friday.

If you have no heat in the hvac you DEFINATELY have an air pocket. Not knowing what may have been done to your van since it was built, I'd loosen a heater hose (not hot) until water comes out to make sure it's purged of air.

This time of year you don't need to drive without defrost, nor do you need to burn up your engine from inadequate cooling.
Drained about a quart from the heat exchanger with a steady flow. Added about a gallon since I started. Thought I had it but still no heat.
Turned heater off while driving and turned thermostat to cold for a couple minutes and it blew warm for a minute
Not using the butler just the van. I do get water from it at the dealership though.
I'm waiting to saigerize the butler before I start using it more.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Never have descaled it.
I'm getting some heat just ok to the solution line. No heat in the van.

Descaling the HX will improve the solution heat. You put the descaling agent in the mixing tank and run it through the solution lines.. sorry if you already knew this-- just worried someone might put the descaling agent in the antifreeze by mistake.

Reactions: steve_64
Name
Steve Lawrence
I’m trying to bleed the air out of my heat exchangers
So far, it’s required the use of a Phillips screwdriver, a flat head screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
And I’ve been looking at it for 30 minutes

View attachment 88086
Can you park your van on an incline with the heat exchanger lower than usual to assist the air coming out? Butler has us do that on the high heat models because the heat exchanger is higher on those. Works for us. Just open your petcock and accelerate your engine a bit.

Last edited:

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
take a video when you do

steve_64

Our 2010 GMC has this issue about annually. Doesn't seem to affect the Butler heat. We take it to the radiator shop and they flush out an obstruction and all is fine. Heat in the cab again!
I've spent almost $500 on this already at one shop. They say its fixed but by the time I get home its cold again.

Ill keep working on it while I'm slow but it does suck.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Steve Lawrence
I've spent almost $500 on this already at one shop. They say its fixed but by the time I get home its cold again.

Ill keep working on it while I'm slow but it does suck.
I'm only charged about $125 except the last time was free cuz I do it so often I think. Try a different shop.

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
Check these out Marty. Simple solution to a common problem. Getting prepped for this winter's project build.

20190119_152951.jpg 20190119_153010.jpg 20181228_123445.jpg

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Maybe bleed them when the TM is semi Hot to speed up the process? I bleed mine nearly everyday and only takes seconds.

steve_64

I'm only charged about $125 except the last time was free cuz I do it so often I think. Try a different shop.
I've had no luck around here. I've used just about every shop and they have all let me down at one time or another.
I got my leak in the pressure side fixed today at least. Didn't have time to see if the heat is fixed.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Steve Lawrence
I've had no luck around here. I've used just about every shop and they have all let me down at one time or another.
I got my leak in the pressure side fixed today at least. Didn't have time to see if the heat is fixed.
Hey Steve. Move to my town. Larry's A and B Radiator will fix it! And for sure they wouldn't charge you a dime if they couldn't. And then they'd send you to somebody who could.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom