Full-Size Ford Transit Van Confirmed for U.S. in 2013

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
There's a good chance they'll be diesel powered only. It's unclear if they'll have a gas engine option.

Ford-Transit-Sportvan.jpg

Full-Size Ford Transit Van Confirmed for U.S., May Be Called T-250, T-450, and T-550

October 4, 2011 at 5:53pm by Justin Berkowitz

Businessfolk and van fans speculated for months, and a press release issued today by the UAW finally confirms that the full-size Transit van is coming to the U.S. The van will be “in-sourced” to the U.S. from Europe, meaning that Ford will move a portion of Transit production—it will continue to be built overseas as well—to a Ford factory in the States. According to the UAW, the Transit will be assembled at Ford’s Kansas City facility, which presently builds the F-150 and outgoing Escape. The new 2013 Escape will be built in Louisville, Kentucky, freeing up capacity in Missouri starting next year; factoring in retooling time, we’d expect to see American-built Transits rolling off the line by 2013.

We have also learned that Ford filed trademark applications for T-250, T-450, and T-550 this past week, a strong indication that these will be the names used for the Transit. Just as Ford dropped the old Econoline name from its current mega-van in favor of “E-series” a few years ago, we suspect the new Transit will wind up being called the T-series. This will also help avoid any confusion with the smaller, car-based Ford Transit Connect in Ford’s commercial-vehicle lineup. The trademark application describes the use of the monikers as being for ”motor vehicles, namely, vans and cutaway van chassis, and their structural parts; exterior insignia badges for motor vehicles.”

For its part, Ford itself isn’t yet ready to fully confirm that the Transit is coming to America. A spokesperson tells us that the E-series and Transit will be part of the company’s “global vehicle-platform approach,” the same philosophy that spawned global versions of the Focus and Fiesta. The spokesman added that Ford “fully recognizes that today’s E-Series customers in North America have differing needs from Transit buyers in Europe, Asia, and other markets.” We take that to signal some changes to the Transit for U.S. sale; you may recall that the Fiesta was similarly tweaked.

So how long until we get a Transit Sportvan like the one pictured above? A diesel-powered, manual-transmission van certainly is in the pantheon of coolest vehicles ever.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/full-s...aign=Feed:+caranddriver/blog+(Car+and+Driver)

Chris A

Name
Chris
I would say that a manual-trans Transit has a snowballs chance in Hell, but with a diesel comparable to the latest generation sprinters, I would think they would do well. If they were serviceable by all Ford dealers, unlike the Sprinter, I'd think it'd be a home run.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
It looks a hell of a lot better than the current Ford van. I've always thought they were ugly as hell. Then again, I have a Dodge.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I like the newer Fords (08 and up) with the chrome grill and headlight cover.

Might get one after winter if I can find a low mileage coming off a one year lease.

C

cucu

bout time ...my pos 2010 e250 is in the shop for a new motor...most dealers dont even know the transits are coming

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd be interested in a gas version but my luck with diesel's has been very good. Too many tech's treat them like they are gas and just start them up without letting glow plugs to warm up.

Name
Kevin McCreary
No doubt they will be here soon, I keep seeing them around Detroit with the Michigan

manufacture plates on the bumper. The ones I see don't look like the one in the picture.

They look more commercial, less chrome and fancy styling, no fancy wheels. They are

pretty big too. More like a sprinter than an "E" van or a GM van. I would be surprised if

you would be able to get a direct drive any time soon. I asked Lou from Cleanco if they

would do anything with the new van, he said they had no plans to do anything with that

van or the new Nissan van. Supposedly that van is to replace the "E" series van so I bet

some TM manufacture will come up with something to cater to the Ford customers. Of

course you could put the slide-in of your choice in it, it looks pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom