Gel based solvent spotters

Mikey P

Administrator
Do you carry more than one type on board and what is your fave for getting out those pesky dark spots your pre spray left behind?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I agree with Kevin . . .

I am not a fan of "gel" spotters.

They slow down the solvent action dramaticly.

I do understand the delamination concern with slow-drying citrus solvents,

but gels are a poor solution.

Larry

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I keep in 8oz bottles -

power gel
magic bullet
vacaway PIG
vacaway hell gel
straight JJ O2

I grab one, put in my pocket use when needed. If one doesn't work, then another. Very rarely have to grab a second. That said, not sure if any one performs better than another. I use power gel more only because I bought a gallon a long time ago and trying to use it up.

Mike Draper

spots? shiteatinggrin You guys take spots and stains out of the carpet? :shock: They make stuff for that? :oops:

Bucey

Name
FFA?
been using Fels this week and just did one today that my go to would have been power gel. The fels just blew it out the water. Can't beat that at .97 a bar. $12 a bar if you buy from Rob Allen! :shock:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Larry Cobb said:
I agree with Kevin . . .

I am not a fan of "gel" spotters.

They slow down the solvent action dramaticly.

I do understand the delamination concern with slow-drying citrus solvents,

but gels are a poor solution.

Larry

So that's why those things never work worth a damn. I do like Hel Gel with a gum getter for gum though.

Nathan K

For the Fels fans, go to an artist or drafting supply store and check out some of their specialty bar soaps designed for inks, removing dried paint from brushes, etc. They also usually have quite a selection of pure solvents
Some of the mechanics hand cleaners work equally well cutting grease and oil in carpeting (but avoid those with pumice).

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
rstrick said:
been using Fels this week and just did one today that my go to would have been power gel. The fels just blew it out the water. Can't beat that at .97 a bar. $12 a bar if you buy from Rob Allen! :shock:

Just to be fair it is not 12 bucks a bar.
For $12.95 + $3.00 shipping you get 3 bars and 3 bar grips.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
For me the combo of Prochems's Ultrapac S712 and Citrus Gel on the "dark" oily spots cleaned 99% of what I came across.

No reason to try anything else for me.

Able 1

Name
Keith
KevinD said:
rstrick said:

Just to be fair it is not 12 bucks a bar.
For $12.95 + $3.00 shipping you get 3 bars and 3 bar grips.

So $4 per bar?? WhyTF would anyone in there right mind use a "bar grip"? Well maybe if the "bar grip" is like a bar of deodorant where you can use the whole thing(and has to be refillable), but if it's just some rubber that's just stupid. I put my bar in my back pocket(never started on fire BTW :shock: ) works just fine..

On jobs that I have to remove a lot of gum nothing beats a steamer.

I apply a drop of citrus, sit the steamer on the gum, and 10-20 seconds later a simple swipe and it is gone.

I use prochem, but go-jo hand cleaner works equally well if you find it without the pumice. Most auto part stores run it on sale for like two or three dollars. Beats spending 10-15 for the same thing just different label.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I am not that big of fan of gels either. when I prespray if I see some spots that are likely to need a solvent I normally heavy prespray that spot and then agitate with my shoe, sounds redneck but most of the time it precludes needing to add a solvent later. if that still isn't enough I use cobbs POG, in a 1 qt bottle with a flip up lid/nozzle. its the same stuff bridgepoint wants over $30/gal for, but cobbs is reasonably priced.

on edit, the old wives tail is that using too much solvent will ruin the carpet. I think that could be the case if you don't rinse it with hot truckmount water. but I have litterly DUMMPED paint thinner on carpets before straight out of the jug for removal of paint stains. I am talking at least a gallon on a frying pan sized stain. even added POG and some other solvents. when I leave there is a faint spot of paint left but after it dries that seems to go away and I am left surprised at how happy the customer ends up.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
steve g said:
I have litterly DUMMPED paint thinner on carpets before straight out of the jug for removal of paint stains. I am talking at least a gallon on a frying pan sized stain. even added POG and some other solvents. when I leave there is a faint spot of paint left but after it dries that seems to go away and I am left surprised at how happy the customer ends up.

That's because she's high on solvent fumes.

leesenter

Too much solvent leaves a telltale rippling style of delamination. You don't see it till the following day.
Gel eliminates that type of damage to carpet.
Solvents and too much citrus are also detrimental to some styles of carpet tile.
Its a proven fact.
Guess some people's customers are too scared of their cleaners to complain!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
leesenter said:
Too much solvent leaves a telltale rippling style of delamination. You don't see it till the following day.
Gel eliminates that type of damage to carpet.
Solvents and too much citrus are also detrimental to some styles of carpet tile.
Its a proven fact.
Guess some people's customers are too scared of their cleaners to complain!

never ever had that problem after any subsequent days, it must be from rinsing the stain and the solvent wicking to the top of the fibers because of the water on the carpet.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
So that's why those things never work worth a damn. I do like Hel Gel with a gum getter for gum though.[/quote]

I like Hellgel, too, but you gotta keep it sealed and out of the heat or it dries up.

Emptys and "shoe scuffing" of spots go hand in hand.

I'd love to have a couple gallons of 1,1,1 triclorethene (? spelling?)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom