get the fook out.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I don't wana be mean but do we see the whole picture? What's going on below waist? Is there another person perhaps?

Reactions: Newman

Mikey P

Administrator
lol!

just one of those guys who had no problem with hard water/scale/soap scum/black and yellow mold/cracks at every joint and corner for 20 plus years and now all of a sudden he's a perfectionist.

a few tiles had some sand on them from the re-grout and one hair line crack in the ceiling so I get to go back.

The contractor who told me to do as little as possible took the picture after I left.

a wet towel and some tooth paste should do the trick :twisted:

Reactions: Vincent Feehan

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So the picture is a micro inspecting customer whose a super picky butt dart!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: tmdry

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Maybe I've missed something, but you said something that might get to the heart of the matter:

You mentioned a contractor who told you to do as little as possible. Who hired you and who set the expectation level on this job?

Mikey P

Administrator
yep, but rather than tell the contractor to turn on the shower and whip the walls with a sponge and to shove some silicone or unsanded grout in that last remaining crack, I will waste my time going back out in hopes no one rips me on yelp for only providing a 99.9% miracle.

Mike:

Thanks for writing back. Got the invoice and glad to pay it. I agree in the future we should have a look together before assigning a price. Especially when the owner's are so cost conscious and apply pressure to keep the cost down. Always best to have a contract and clear understanding before performing work.

Nevertheless, we still have an issue with the owner's satisfaction here. I came back in the afternoon after you left and found the owner, Jim, in the shower area doing an inspection. He had his hands on the tile and felt residue on two sides, while the back was clean. It seems to me that a wipe down would be in order. Just enough to make Jim happy......

Also, there were several places where cracks in the grout still showed. I'm hoping that it would be easy to touch those up and that you can come by next week as you suggested. I'll put tape in the spots I see. Again, I'm assuming the grout is an easy fix to make cracks disappear to the eye, not a dig out and replace. The photo of grout cracks I'm sending is at the joint in the doorway above head level looking up.

He told me originally that just the floor to wall joints NEEDED repair...

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
My guess is that this contractor is worth a lot of referrals. If that's the case, the pain you will have to endure now is something you can assign as a "marketing cost".

Its hard enough to live up to what we commit to in things like this, its worse when you have a third party create expectations for you to live up to. During my time as a cleaning company technician, and later manager, it was contractors, carpet stores, and dry cleaners who gave me the most headaches with situations just like this.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Shower restoration gets the least respect from clients of all services.

"Just give it a quick once over" in reality is an all day regrout.

None of these clients can even get simple soap scum off, but then roll their eyes on the price.

We do some, but you were put in a tough spot. Definitely give your prescription to him next time. Take it or leave it.

That is funny. 19 years of fuzzy tiles and he is feeling for residue.

:cool:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Shower restoration gets the least respect from clients of all services.

"Just give it a quick once over" in reality is an all day regrout.

None of these clients can even get simple soap scum off, but then roll their eyes on the price.

We do some, but you were put in a tough spot. Definitely give your prescription to him next time. Take it or leave it.

That is funny. 19 years of fuzzy tiles and he is feeling for residue.

:cool:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Definitely agree with that, they think its going to cost $50 or something.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Showers are a PIA and I can't stand doing them and basically steer clear of them if at all possible. I just hate passing off work to competitors and especially with my repeat clientele

Mikey P

Administrator
Turns out it wasn't even grout haze he was feeling but rather the hard water deposits that remained that only grinding would remove. A slight feel of roughness and no shine on tiles in the splash zone.

It would have taken at least 3 more hours to mechanically remove it. $600 more was not in the budget.

I did put some unsanded/Acrylic in some hair lines at no charge.

Really bummed I have no b4s and afters of this one.

Last edited:

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
Just looking at the photo makes me angry! I know this type too well. Who does that?

Name
George Valliant
how do you get the old grout out in order to re-grout it?

That looks really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom