Getting To Know Sam Miller

Mikey P

Administrator
As some of you may know I worked for Sam and his family back in 1987

Miller's Carpet Care in Reseda, CA.

Sam just found Mikey's Board last week, just found all the boards actually which I find amazing seeing how he literally grew up in this fine industry.

I let Sam tell the rest of the story..

-How did the Miller family get into the Carpet Cleaning business?

-Was there a Millers before the advent of the $6.95 coupon and do they still run that sort of coupon today?

-For every 100 people hired to be a sub contractor, how many would stick with it for more than 6 months, 1 year, 5 years?

-I noticed on your company's website you are charging $49 for two rooms, what does the home owner get for that?
How is your company structured different than the original Millers?

- A1, Millers, ZZz Best, what were some of the other "bait and switches" from that era and who do you think was the real originator of the "Coupon Company"?

-What was the repeat customer percentage of the Millers I worked for?

-Can you explain the training process that techs were given during my day, and has anything changed since?

-Was I an average, below average or above average sub contractor or do you remember?

-Please explain how the portables and chemicals were supplied to the Subs.

-How many Subs do you think used the home owners hair shampoo to clean the carpet?

-Have you been banned on *** yet for expressing an opinion contrary to that of Rob Allen's?

MillersCarpet.jpg

When I was there it was $6.95 a room, $12.50 for two and $24.95 for the whole house.

Thanks Sam!!!

S

sam miller

let Sam tell the rest of the story..

-How did the Miller family get into the Carpet Cleaning business?

My uncle Clint bought a portable when someone introduced him to the cleaning business.
Most of my dad’s brothers were in the service station business selling gas and fixing cars
Including Clint he ran a Gulf Station in Garden Grove. My dad William Miller was a meat cutter for almost 14 years at the time. Clint went around cleaning all the brother’s carpets saying this is the future! So all 5 Brothers Clint, Neal, Rod, Bill and Bob Started Millers Carpet Care in 1974. My Uncle Rod told me once they put a 5 room $59.95 ad in the LA Times and he had 50 calls the first day, time to get some more machines!
That was just his Phone lines each brother had their own territory
Clint had Orange County , Neal and Rod Split L.A. Hollywood, Bill had the SF Valley and Bob had San Gabriel Valley.

-Was there a Millers before the advent of the $6.95 coupon and do they still run that sort of coupon today?

Yes obviously the price war or drop was more of a lowering with A1 then anything else cause I remember my dad had 30 techs when he ran Reseda shop doing 5 rooms for $44.95 they would do 100 jobs a day for 4-5 thousand per day average not much training
and They used Big brute, emulsifier ,cherry deodorizer and some RTU Scotchgaurd. 4 or 5 products I remember because I was 12 mixing chemicals in the back room 16 gals of big brute into a 55 gallon drum pumped into gallon containers and labeled that was when we had employee’s and Bill supplied chemicals the worst part was no ventilation and mixing the emulsifier I still think that will kill me some day.

http://www.millerscarpetcare.com/ that’s my dads website today his brother Neal runs cleaning specials in Sacramento My Uncle Rod and cousin George are offering total carpet restoration in Florida for around .45 cents per sq ft.
I think my dad has a 2 room deal for $59.95
I also have a cousin in Texas running his own business. and one in Escondido doing a little cleaning.

-For every 100 people hired to be a sub contractor, how many would stick with it for more than 6 months, 1 year, 5 years?

Well after years almost 19 working for my dad through the years a lot went on their own a lot didn’t like working period there’s a shock. We had a motto for the managers be a hit Hire Interview and Train. Turn over was a problem Carpet cleaning is not everyone’s cup of tea and when you induce having to Sell or you really don’t make any money it took a guy who liked cleaning and selling or a guy who could sell and liked money.

I would guess 100 people ½ after 6 months 25 percent after a year and 20 percent after 5 years. I qualify that guess.

-I noticed on your company's website you are charging $49 for two rooms, what does the home owner get for that?
How is your company structured different than the original Millers?

Well I liked Certified carpet care’s approach with Truckmounts and straight pricing. The Price in my ad has been 2 room $49.95 and 5 rooms $99.95 I’m currently raising my price and removing pricing. but with about 70 to 80 repeat customers you have to be sensitive.
Still it includes Prespray with a enzyme from Cti and Citrus booster and Steam cleaning with a 405 truckmount usually rinsing with liquid 90. Generally its no size limit. But I do charge extra for red stains if its not a stain master, pet stain’s ,pet odor, Teflon you name it I do it well not everything. I hate cleaning tile its a lot of work!

I would say the difference is truckmounted cleaning compared to portables and more of a straight price that would be the difference. Still my dad today has a lot of truckmount guys and quote’s a higher price for that over the phone. I haven’t worked there for over 10 years and we don’t talk carpet cleaning when we hang out.

- A1, Millers, ZZz Best, what were some of the other "bait and switches" from that era and who do you think was the real originator of the "Coupon Company"?

Super carpet care and a few others what was Ron’s Meyers companies name???
You know David Horowitz did a comparison between Millers and Zbest. Horowitz was a huge consumer advocate and he qualified the difference between Millers and Zbest as one was an Ala Carte service the other included more in their package. So I know Zbest up sold extra service but I didn’t think they were considered bait and switch.
Millers was considered ala carte we informed every customer what the coupon was for and explained extra service before sending a cleaner into the home when I went to Oxnard to run my own shop I added $12 per room pre treat to the coupon and Bill added it to his ad and use’s it still in the PS ad. Guys still upsold on top of that, pre vac, rotary scrubbing, pet stain remover, deodorizing, carpet repairs.

I would Say Millers was A1 would say they were.

-What was the repeat customer percentage of the Millers I worked for?

I don’t think we had computer’s yet? We had several guys who were exceptional carpet cleaners including yourself with some IICUC training and maybe that was before your time, But we had about a 50 percent return of regulars that’s a guess but I’m sure it was close to that.

-Can you explain the training process that techs were given during my day, and has anything changed since?

Well If we hired an A1 tech they went straight to the field. New guys went on a ridealong to steal a phrase from your nemesis. 3 days no pay training with hopefully a guy who could clean a carpet, not nick the new guy and lots of personal training with moi?
As for new guys there aren’t to many new guys these days I believe Bill has a core group of Subs he use’s and when they Die the World ends so keep an eye out the end is near!

-Was I an average, below average or above average sub contractor or do you remember?

I never cleaned a carpet with you I don’t remember any complaints and I don’t think I really new how to clean at that time, but you and your wife were good people and well liked!
And missed when you moved on. above average.

-Please explain how the portables and chemicals were supplied to the Subs.

We stocked Prochem and Chemspec the full lines of both and usually when a tech was first setup he was given 90 or slurry a bottle of Pre spray chempower or ultrapac deodorizer rtu teflon a sprayer a grandi groomer a pile brush a 2 3stage vac. 100 psi pump servasteam portable with 25 feet of hose and a stainless steal 1 jet wand.
The chemical package was deducted in 3 payment’s usually around $100 total the machine was leased at 5 percent of gross sales.

-How many Subs do you think used the home owners hair shampoo to clean the carpet?

Damn I know stories of father and son carpet care John Pepe using a customers Vinegar he would put dish soup on the house wife’s hand and say feel how soapy that is then he would use the Vinegar and show how the slickness or soapy feeling would go away then he would sell the home owner a $300.00 rinse with their vinegar. Damn why am I laughing that’s not funny. Other than that I heard of some guys using it not a lot. The worst was smart and final guy and ammonia and bleach genius.
Why Mike did you ever or do you borrow the customers hair shampoo????

-Have you been banned on *** yet for expressing an opinion contrary to that of Rob Allen's?

Rob Who???? I really don’t see him posting a lot and I don’t know him. I did question the using of number 2 jets on a Prochem 4 jet wand and using glides and jet extensions

The idea of a number 8 opening with a heat exchanger the heat loss is considerable from using 4-1.5’s or 4 1’s and the idea of a ½ inch extender maintaining heat.

I know every inch the water travel you lose 10 degree’s a ½ inch extender will save you 5 degree’s maybe the wider opening decrease’s the refrigeration or cooling when the water hit’s the air?
But I know going from a 1 opening to a 1.5 my machine drops from 230 plus to about 210 wide open so my guess would be opening the jets to 8 would drop the temp down to 180- to 190 I don’t know but my rx20 wide open drops the temp a lot.

I don’t think he commented on my opinion but I wasn’t banned either. YET! LOL

Thanks Sam!!
Your welcome Mike I’ll tell why I left Millers someday and more on my pricing strategy !
PS it has to do with I’m not a salesman and I have been surrounded by price my whole life.
The only other thing I can remember about you back then was your diet a bathroom
And a plunger something about lots of grain and colon cleanser???
Makes me glad I chose carpet cleaning and not Plumbing! :mrgreen:

S

sam miller

By the way my dad stole the dog and the oops did I do that from My ad but I dont care he changed the dog to protect the innocent.

Name
George Valliant
Man, your family has cleaned a lot of dirty carpets since 1974.

Room pricing is a tuff habbit to break.

I cut my teeth on room pricing back in "80's and still strugle with it today.

Remember when gas use to cost under a buck? 17 bucks would fill the tank and buy ya a pack of smokes too! Back then, 50 bucks seemed like good money cuz it would buy 2 weeks of fuel. Now, it costs almost $70 to fill the tank just once. :-(

to keep up with the cost of fuel my minimum service call should be $150.00. But it ain't :-(

I'm doing something wrong! My good friend Ron L from Mikeysboard says I need to do in-home estimates instead of over phone room pricing. He's right!!! But every time I try in-home I get frustrated and go back to my old ways.

That settles it! I'm going to In-home estimates again starting today! :-)

Thanks for this little chat! Was it good for you?

Reactions: SamIam
S

sam miller

Ya after 10 years of doing my business one way then to change that would be hard. My guess is put someone else on my truck and service my customers and then start a new business where I wont get off my fat butt unless I'm well paid just a thought. Actually just market it with a killer website and call it ********* opps thats been taken ummm?? lets see Clean and Uber Dry! C.U.D. for short let C.U.D. clean your carpets. Just something to chew on.

Moooo a little cow humor :D

Ps glad to help cleaning fool yes it was good for me :oops:

Mikey P

Administrator
I remember a few names from my days..

Dave Phelps- Great guy, clean my relatives homes after I left for a while, then Tom Meyer took over that chore (Ron's brother)
Vern (Dave's buddie)
Afief (first guy I went out with, he taught me to puit potting soil in the waste tank to show that dirt does come out with the basic package)
Gary Taylor- Manager

Any idea what become of them?

S

sam miller

Mikey P said:
I remember a few names from my days..

Dave Phelps- Great guy, clean my relatives homes after I left for a while, then Tom Meyer took over that chore (Ron's brother)
Dave went to work for Mark Sendrak the carpet guy after the northridge quake his mobile home bounced of its foundation in santa clarita and he moved to Washington. Since then mark told me he got divorced and lost touch with him I believe he's in Arizona near his brother.
Vern (Dave's buddie)
Velmenette was a martial arts instructor great guy he went on to buy servpro franchise's in the valley that were doing poorly build them up and resell them for a lot of money. with mma doing well his dojo is probably what he's doing today.

Afief (first guy I went out with, he taught me to puit potting soil in the waste tank to show that dirt does come out with the basic package)
Afief Amarni damn he always had trick up his sleave I remember one day he went on an 8-10 in W.H. for $24.95 and called my at 11 am saying the Job was $900.00 and he was finished he did 200 injections for pet odor and put lava rocks in the airduct system to knock down the stink. Never did get a redo and the check cleared.
He and his wife moved back to Isreal he is palastinian and she is Jewish and he hated Jewish people what a combo. I dont know where he is now.
Gary Taylor- Manager
damn you worked for us when reseda was king of the chain doing 30 to 40 k every week. Gary left Miller and rumor has it he got arrested in Florida when released he went back to Arkansas. havent heard anything about him since.

I know Kieth Mccorkle drove a cab for years after he left Millers and Dan Underwood called Me and said did you hear Kieth had a Massive heart attack and died. a couple years after the fact he was 42 years old. with a couple little girls.

Gary Flack stayed with us for years and was still there after I quit. He lived with Paula the hairdressor next door to the shop and started building planters from old beat up wood. Selling them in front of his house. He and paula broke up but still live together. and Gary is a huge Sooner fan we talk 2-3 times a year mostly during college football season. and after Bowl games.

Any other names you remember Jackie Morrisette,Ray Heller, Juan and Jesse Gomez???
Mike Pantel?? now there is a story.
Jerry Kracknel, Ed Moore?

Any idea what become of them?

S

sam miller

Well I get the carpet rags for years and well *** advertise like a witch and in one of the cleanfax or ics there was a article about a carpet guy running a forum I thought he was out of oklahoma or something then I went on one forum a year ago and went once or twice then a few months back I started hitting *** regularly.
researching equipment and chemicals mostly.

I mean this year I started using odorcide over Killodor plus bought a water claw and started using glides running 4 to the door just toying with doing a better job with what I have already.

Then I looked on the board under Distributors and saw something on greenie who I dont know what a greenie is or was. I was Going to greenglides.com and comparing the banana glides and the price but Greenglides.com was down kinda put 2 and 2 together while I was reading a post over there they had a clip and paste from this site with one of your post's and I saw your name after a little search I saw your post at ICS I think about should a forum charge a $100 and you were asking Jeff Cross the question So I thought you were going after Jeff. What do I know. Then your hillarious post of a make believe company with the initial *** was priceless and it hit what you were talking about. I saw all this stuff about MB MB MB Mikey's board stick with I'm slow so I emailed you from your ICS addy and came here and posted to say hi.

George and Rod dont have computers and when I call they're quick to get off the phone maybe a little to much of the aptos kind but I fear a little parinoia I dont know I know Rodney Jr. has some problems but its hush hush.

Ps I have 500 post on VGCHARTZ.com so I.m not an internet noob I just like videogames more then carpet cleaning
xboxlive acct Waymor Radstone

PS3 Daddosplat
the last time I called George was to say get on the online Videogame and it was beneath him I play with my cousin in Texas my 2 nephews and my son is a witch online he takes names and numbers and keeps us in the games. If you ever play hook it up I'll totally kick your butt. Lol

S

sam miller

tom is Pepe still running Father and Son carpet care if so I saw a news report on carpet shams late nite and he was one of 5 companies they were after??

He is a nice guy and one hell of a salesman.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom