getting yellow discoloration off VCT?

Deluxe

stripping VCT in a store that has had shelves moved during a recent reset. areas un-exposed to light have yellow shading.... i'm told i can strip and re-finish and the yellow will fade by itself over the next several months after enough exposure to light? Anyone concur?

BillC

Deluxe said:
stripping VCT in a store that has had shelves moved during a recent reset. areas un-exposed to light have yellow shading.... i'm told i can strip and re-finish and the yellow will fade by itself over the next several months after enough exposure to light? Anyone concur?
Most of the time the yellow will stay there no matter what you do, however it should lighten some.. just make sure you use a black aggressive strip pad, strip off all finish and then re-strip the area with VERY lttle stripper and make very slow passes with your 175. If you use very little stripper (where the floor is almost dry) and slow passes the 175 pad will kind of re-surface the tile taking away some of the discoloration.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You should be able to make it a lot less noticeable using a sanding screen with your low speed, but most of the time you can't get all of it out.

From now on educate your customer about the possibility of the discoloration remaining before doing the job.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Its a good bet its rust in that mess to.....bleaching it for 30-60 mins can help....but its a bitch and it smellllllls....I did it at one huge reset of a toys r us.....everyone of us got sick on that job....from then on out....no bleaching unless they want to $$$$$$$

so yes it will fade over time, but wont all be gone.....plus if the traffic pattern changes wellll then that tile has been walked on less as well....

also remember VCT as a general rule is porus, so depending how long that shelf was on the floor, and how many strip jobs.....thats a lot of time soaking that crap in..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom