Gonna save a ton of money on chems....

Talked with my local dist yesterday and we have a new money saving plan. Gonna get 6 drums,and a dolly and start mixing my chems...basically they sell u the concentrate and you do the rest. Example if something costs 20 a bottle doin it this way costs me about 10 bucks. CSN in Pensacola who Im hooking up with, good guys and great chems. Lot of guys here buy from them( and danny) and so do the biggest SS franchises in the country. Ill making my own deodorizer,High PH prespray,a lower pH residental prespray,acid rinse,protector etc. If you got the area ,this is the way to go.

Looking foward to saving a ton of money, more later.

They will send u some samples BTW.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Set one person as the mix master, have the mixtures printed clearly within view.

Since these are concentrates so there needs to be a little more caution an more PPE.

Also make sure they are splash protected with splash shield or goggles, gloves and vinyl apron.

If you don't already I'd have a eye wash station nearby. Msds with in reach, might be a good idea also.

All of this is OSHA stuff that you should already have in place, but just in case you don't, these should be done for the safety of who ever is mixing, even if it's you.

It's doubtful that anything would ever happen, but better safe than sorry.

Especially with employees.....cover your ass!

RCTPKS said:
Set one person as the mix master, have the mixtures printed clearly within view.

Since these are concentrates so there needs to be a little more caution an more PPE.

Also make sure they are splash protected with splash shield or goggles, gloves and vinyl apron.

If you don't already I'd have a eye wash station nearby. Msds with in reach, might be a good idea also.

All of this is OSHA stuff that you should already have in place, but just in case you don't, these should be done for the safety of who ever is mixing, even if it's you.

It's doubtful that anything would ever happen, but better safe than sorry.

Especially with employees.....cover your ass!

Appreciate the tips, I will be the one doing the mixing....anyway looking foward to saving mo money in 09.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Curtis;

Have you talked to the actual chemist for their formulations ?

Does he have a chemistry background ??

Concentrates can be money savers, if they are formulated properly.

I would test each of the final products, before committing to drums.

Larry

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Since chemicals are one of the lowest costs per job why make extra work for yourself?

Way back in the day my Dad used to mix his own prespray. TSP, Butyl, and water. Then he switched to Prochem's Ultrapac and never looked back.

Why not keep the liability on the manufacturer and not worry about saving a couple of bucks.

Have you ever actually figured up how much your chemical is really costing you?

John Watson

Been there, done that. Mixed my own in Alaska, It might cost a bit more to buy formulated pre-sprays and rinses, but sure alot less hassle, cleaning chems are not a real high priced item if you measure and use according to directions or less. Hell, our Judson Juice stuff I cut half of what is recomended on most jobs and our clients still get a clean carpet. Don't have to ship it in big quanities,(Some shippers won't deliver to residences) store it or account for all of it either. Then you gotta pay to get rid of the drums, and the county could come check on you to make sure you don't have hasardus chems at your place too. Naw, I jest buy em by the case from reputable suppliers...

Also like Micah said, Why asume the liabilities???

Greenie

I am with Micah, surely you have better things to do in your Co. than stir a barrel of juice?

If i were CSN, I would never encourage my customer to head down this path.

TimP

Leave the chemical making to chemists and leave the cleaning to us cleaners.

Rex Tyus

It wouldn't be practical for an owner operator, one truck, bdcc like myself, but Curtis is a multi trucker I believe. He is not formulating his own prespray the way I read it. He is buying it in a concentrate. Can't be that difficult to add water? :?

Afterall aren't ultrapac, zone perfect,JJ..... concentrates? It sounds like he just has a hook up for a great value on a drum price. If I was doing enough to be able to afford a 55 gal drum I might check into it as well. Hell the shipping cost alone could add up over the course of a year for a busy multi truck operation.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm pretty sure it won't work with Ulta Pac, we wanted to premix it in 55's years ago and they told us it would fall out of solution and separate. We just buy it by the case.

We did buy our deodorant that way and all fiber rinse in 55's.
Worked fine with a pump, there was a little bit of waste, but not bad. We just refilled the original containers for the products.

We quit ordering it that way once our forklift died, too big a hassle.

At least Curtis wouldn't have to hassle with the shipping if he were mixing it himself.

timnelson

Any supplier that plans to be here next year and the year after needs to make a reasonable profit. Knowing what it costs for high-quality raw materials, there is absolutely no way to make those numbers profitable and still produce a true, top-quality product.

Caveat Emptor.

Greenie

I was thinking about this a bit further.

" Example if something costs 20 a bottle doin it this way costs me about 10 bucks."

So...as an example: CSN is gonna make a sale of $10 for a gal of juice, leaving a margin for profit, lets say 40%, they are gonna put $6 of raw ingredients in that gal. How much cleaning do you think you will get out of $6 in ingredients? Not much incentive to use good ingredients, I see a short cut coming if at all possible, I also see this being a cheap and dirty FireWater, not a professional prespray, I guess if you put $6 of butyl, lye, and tsp in a jug, it could work for rat nasties.

Just my thoughts.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
You pretty much hit it Greenie.

You can make some pretty cheap chemistry that will produce a good visual demonstration, but there is no free ride.
To cut corners, you have to either shortchange the carpet's health, the users health, or both.

In our old Steam Genie days, Jim Smith and I used to talk about formulations that we'd contemplate marketing if we were to toss ethics aside, and go for the screaming cheap clean. There was one product prespray Jim called NuClear or "Nuclear", Nuke-it we'd say, if a customer wanted a clean with no limits. :)

Greenie said:

" Example if something costs 20 a bottle doin it this way costs me about 10 bucks."

So...as an example: CSN is gonna make a sale of $10 for a gal of juice, leaving a margin for profit, lets say 40%, they are gonna put $6 of raw ingredients in that gal. How much cleaning do you think you will get out of $6 in ingredients? Not much incentive to use good ingredients, I see a short cut coming if at all possible, I also see this being a cheap and dirty FireWater, not a professional prespray, I guess if you put $6 of butyl, lye, and tsp in a jug, it could work for rat nasties.

Just my thoughts.

AAHHH wrong nice try..

Greenie said:

Just my thoughts.

Thoughts HMMMMMMM...

Oh cheap fire water(nice bash since you have no clue what is or even tried it).. nice try.. wrong again... proffessional prespray ..LMAO...typical response I thought I would get. I do like your glides and wands and inovations in the industry BTW. I know I would get bashed for this but so what. Im trying to help multi truck companys save a lot of money.
Ironically the largest SS companies buy from this company...so now what.They have a great reputation ,make great products,great service, great guys.. so they dont deserve an ugly acccusation. Do you know them? see above..You judgeing without evidence and your math guessing is intresting but also unproven.
Btw I ph tested there products and used them today with great sucess and they work as good or better than anything Ive tried and the smell great.
I dont sell stuff I try to help fellow CC.
So they work, I add water and I save money and it works GASP..bottom line bro.

Would you like more refrences than me?? There is MANY.
I can help you with your homework...LOL

timnelson said:
Any supplier that plans to be here next year and the year after needs to make a reasonable profit. Knowing what it costs for high-quality raw materials, there is absolutely no way to make those numbers profitable and still produce a true, top-quality product.

Caveat Emptor.

LOL

TimP

Are you buying something premixed. Or are you taking ingrediants and mixing them yourself?

You aren't too clear on what you're doing.

I'd be leary of liability if you're buying stuff all seperate and mixing multiple chemicals to make your prespray. I think that's what everyone is saying.

Now if you're buying a certain prespray in drums that's a different story.

TimP said:
Are you buying something premixed. Or are you taking ingrediants and mixing them yourself?

You aren't too clear on what you're doing.

I'd be leary of liability if you're buying stuff all seperate and mixing multiple chemicals to make your prespray. I think that's what everyone is saying.

Now if you're buying a certain prespray in drums that's a different story.

Im buying concentrate and adding water..very simple.

Larry Cobb said:
Curtis;

Have you talked to the actual chemist for their formulations ?

Does he have a chemistry background ??

Concentrates can be money savers, if they are formulated properly.

I would test each of the final products, before committing to drums.

Larry

Yes Larry he is very well known in the industry and very well educated.

TimP

In other words you're buying something premixed and adding water to make yourself a gallon of liquid prespray.

I think everyone else in this thread if they knew that in the beginning would be wondering how much it all costs to get it in and what it costs RTU.

Greenie

Curtis, my post was genuine, not an attempt at a bash, nor do I think the others were.

You do what you please, it's your company, but don't take our input as attacking.

I don't sell you juice, what do I have to lose?

Greenie said:
Curtis, my post was genuine, not an attempt at a bash, nor do I think the others were.

You do what you please, it's your company, but don't take our input as attacking.

I don't sell you juice, what do I have to lose?

BUT you sell me glides...lol

Shawn Forsythe said:
You pretty much hit it Greenie.

You can make some pretty cheap chemistry that will produce a good visual demonstration, but there is no free ride.
To cut corners, you have to either shortchange the carpet's health, the users health, or both.

In our old Steam Genie days, Jim Smith and I used to talk about formulations that we'd contemplate marketing if we were to toss ethics aside, and go for the screaming cheap clean. There was one product prespray Jim called NuClear or "Nuclear", Nuke-it we'd say, if a customer wanted a clean with no limits. :)

LOL

G

Curtis those Yankees just don't roll like us Southern Boys do; Heck after I got Blast damage insurance my neighbors actually started to like running for the hills when I mix Secret Sauce. And to top it off old man Smith next door really loves his new house. :roll:

And as soon as they take the barriers down from the road repairs on the side of the house i can actually back up to the side and direct load my machine again; but they are just nervous about having to work a little to save a buck. :evil: :roll:

We save a lotta money doing mushroom clouds; but man those custy's sure do like the way it cleans. And btw; don't pay any attention to that safety warning sign around the back of the house; I still believe the glow in the dark grass will soon disappear!! :D :lol: :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom