Good box van for someone

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's a Sprinter.

I talked with a Fedex guy when I was fueling one day, he told me they don't have as many bugs with them anymore but he said parts are terrible to get and they often have a truck down waiting on delivery of parts.

Make sure you have a dealer that stocks parts if you buy one.

Bob Foster

Sprinter box vans would not be my first choice but I know there is a following here.

I have a hankering for a 1998 up 170" wheel base high top dual wheel 3500 Sprinter and seriously considering flipping my Suzi and buying one before I start on that project.

3500170.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris
If somebody would just make a GD direct drive for those I'd buy one tomorrow...

steve g

Name
steve garrett
wonder what the mileage is with the box on and fully loaded?? read on the internet they aren't that reliable though. maybe the fuel savings would make up for that.

Bob Foster

I am not fan of regular vans converted to box vans. The front ends are not built nearly as tough as the front ends on most cabovers. Plus the turning radius is better on a cabover. Add the convenience of full access to the engine with a cabover and also that you can move your box to a new truck anytime you choose it makes a cabover a good choice.

Cutaway box trucks are generally cheaper though.

As far as I am concerned the best regular van is the Sprinter 3500 and the second choice would be an extended diesel Ford E350 but then you would have to put an extended roof on them making them fugly. Sprinters are expensive to repair but if you drive one properly (like most owner operators should) then it isn't an issue.

ascrubabove

Ron Werner said:
mentioned a Sprinter truck to someone the other day, he said it was $600 for an oil change.
Any credibility to that?

Ron, I used to change oil on fleets of sprinters 4 years ago, $150.00 would get you oil & filter, fuel additive & filter, and a DOT Inspection with signed checklist and sticker!

Back
Top Bottom