got a new engine for $27

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I know a lot of you guys are great mechanics, so this post may seem really lame to you, but I only know enough to be dangerous at times.
My 25hp Kohler was sounding really rough, almost dying under load, wouldn't even pull 15"Hg anymore.
Changed the plugs for $10
Still running rough.
Turned out to be the airfilter! Could still see light through it but the thing was plugged!!
That Kohler sounds like a new engine now! Sounds really strong and solid at full revs and it barely slows down under load.
Now, every 500hrs, new plugs and filter

Check your airfilters.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron Werner said:
Turned out to be the airfilter!

yep...been there done that .
Found out by accident really

It was many years ago ...we were slammed in the heat of student rentals .
a two to three week period that a bazzilion empty rentals have to cleaned ..ON TIME

TM is running two shifts and porty going full bore as well

the TM starts to sputter and die under load...."FCK!!! this is all i need now", I thought

so I pulled the air cleaner to have a peek at the carb.....and BAM!! she runs like a top :shock:

..l.T.A.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
A few weeks ago, my 25hp water-cooled Kohler started smokin bad and continued to run when I cut the ignition. Turned out to be the fuel pump mounted on top of one of the valve covers leaking gas into the valves on one cylinder. Replaced the fuel pump. (After I replaced a good $150 fuel shut-off silenoid.)

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Ron Werner said:
not that dusty here.
I was dumb, I know, ran that last filter for 3 yrs. didn't look that bad.
Surprising thing is how well this unit ran all this time not operating at 100%

Thanks for the reminder. My 38hp Kohler was stumbling a bit on Friday.
I ordered in both the inner and outer filter about a year ago but never put it in... cause it always looks good in there.

Maybe new filters and a set of plugs might help.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Ron Werner said:
I know a lot of you guys are great mechanics, so this post may seem really lame to you, but I only know enough to be dangerous at times.
My 25hp Kohler was sounding really rough, almost dying under load, wouldn't even pull 15"Hg anymore.
Still running rough.
Turned out to be the airfilter! Could still see light through it but the thing was plugged!!
That Kohler sounds like a new engine now! Sounds really strong and solid at full revs and it barely slows down under load.

Check your airfilters.

Ron, Thanks! I went out and checked my airfilter today, and it was filthy! I had installed an aftermarket super-duper high flow air filter a few years ago and just...forgot it. Popped another one on 2day, and what a difference. Tomorrow will prove the difference.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
rwcarpet said:
Ron Werner said:
Still running rough.

Check your airfilters.

Ron, Thanks! I went out and checked my airfilter today, and it was filthy! I had installed an aftermarket super-duper high flow air filter a few years ago and just...forgot it. Popped another one on 2day, and what a difference. Tomorrow will prove the difference.

Oh...and it was about $25 bucks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom