Got me no spark

Name
I'm Rick James
I can turn it on no problem when its cold, but when it gets all hot and bothered it loses it spark. I replaced the magneto coils and no change. I took the wire off to the oil sensor and no change. The waste tank is empty. It is a 23 hp B&S.

So what would cause it to not have a spark after it got hot? It has been doing it for a month or so now.

Thanks

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
have you checked your grounds? if not wire brush them and make sure they are tight. make sure your spark plug is not cracked.

Name
I'm Rick James
KevinD said:
I had a 20hp that use to break down when it got hot. It ended up to be the voltage regulator.

Its doesnt break down it just has no spark after I turn it off. I have to wait for it to cool off until I can start it again. Grounds seem to be good and the plugs are ok. It does start fine when cold.

Mike, talking about the TM but both are high maintenance sometimes.

Thanks for the input.

Name
I'm Rick James
Greenie said:
I think Kevin nailed it.

I thought the V R was to charge the battery. I didnt know it had something to do with the spark. I just found out that one of the wires somehow got cut. There are 2 wires that come out of the engine that hook to the voltage regulator and 1 of them is cut. What do those 2 wires connect to. There are 3 wires coming out of the voltage regulator, 2 hook to those wires and 1 goes elsewhere.

Thanks

Name
I'm Rick James
Got the spark, but still wont start. The shop said it needs a new carb. $441.00 plus some other things that need to be dealt with. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Did you get the wiring straightened out?
Did the shop change the regulator or was it just bad wiring.
How many other issues does the engine have because you can get the 23HP through Tulsa engine warehouse for about $1450.00

Name
I'm Rick James
KevinD said:
Did you get the wiring straightened out?
Did the shop change the regulator or was it just bad wiring.
How many other issues does the engine have because you can get the 23HP through Tulsa engine warehouse for about $1450.00

One of the wires (stater wire) that goes inside the engine from the regulator got cut by the flywheel. That is included in the estimate. the flywheel needs to come off. The coupler shaft is loose from the flywheel to rubber coupler. They tested there and it had a weak spark after it got warm, my brother tested it before and he could find a spark, but he didnt have an actual tester. Backyard style.

I found a 23 hp B&S for $950

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/pro ... al%201-1/8"x3-5/32"%20Shaft,%20Vanguard,%20Twin,%20OHV,%20Electric%20Start,%2016%20Amp%20Alt,%20Oil%20Cooler

Not sure if I wanna do that with this time of year and I am planning on getting a new machine next year (hopefully). May try some repairs myself. IS a carb rebuild hard to do?

Labor $180 3 hrs.
Carb used $142 or $85 rebuild kit.
New starter bushings and brush set $26

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Brent;

The carb rebuild is fairly easy, but I am not sure that is the problem.

The carb kit is relatively inexpensive, so I guess you could try it.

Larry

Name
I'm Rick James
Larry Cobb said:
Brent;

The carb rebuild is fairly easy, but I am not sure that is the problem.

The carb kit is relatively inexpensive, so I guess you could try it.

Larry

Any other ideas? There is fuel getting to it. They showed a spark. The starter may be weak they said. The air flow seems fine. I just want to get to the bottom of it. :D It does "diesel" after I turn it off.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I understood the original problem to be an inability to crank it after it ran for awhile. You had a cut wire from the flywheel to the voltage regulator ... right?

Now it still won't crank after being ran for awhile before shutting it off?

Name
I'm Rick James
admiralclean said:
I understood the original problem to be an inability to crank it after it ran for awhile. You had a cut wire from the flywheel to the voltage regulator ... right?

Now it still won't crank after being ran for awhile before shutting it off?

I can crank it, it just wont start up, the flywheel spins along witht the shaft and blower. It does diesel when i turn it off, everytime. Yeah the wire is cut, the flywheel is going to come off to replace it.

You know how you cant turn on the engine when the waste tank is full, that is what it seems like.

hogjowl

Idiot™
The Green One said:
I can crank it, it just wont start up, the flywheel spins along witht the shaft and blower. It does diesel when i turn it off, everytime. Yeah the wire is cut, the flywheel is going to come off to replace it.

Down here, in Dixie, we mean starting it up when we say "crank it."

Anyway ... how does it diesel when you shut it off, if you can't start it up in the first place?

And, why shut if off, if it ain't cranked?

Name
I'm Rick James
admiralclean said:
The Green One said:

Down here, in Dixie, we mean starting it up when we say "crank it."

Anyway ... how does it diesel when you shut it off, if you can't start it up in the first place?

And, why shut if off, if it ain't cranked?

When I turn the ke off it runs for 3-4 seconds and then it chug, chug, chug's for 2-3 seconds while coming to a stop.

It does start when cold, not hot. I have to wait 30 minutes or so before it starts.

Do you think that the wire being cut and not charging the battery, the starter is not pushing at full power. But I did use jumper cables today to jump the weak battery when it was hot and it still didnt start.

Able 1

Name
Keith
My TM will diesel only when I need a new air filter, so the carb. rebuild is where I would start. It's worth a shot.

Name
I'm Rick James
Able 1 said:
My TM will diesel only when I need a new air filter, so the carb. rebuild is where I would start. It's worth a shot.

It'll diesel when the filter is off. Where and how much will a rebuild kit cost and how long does it take.

Thanks

Able 1

Name
Keith
Your supplier should have the kits. Shouldn't take long at all, but take your time.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Certainly sounds like two different problems to me. You've got to fix the charging problem ... was the wire the fix, or are you going to need to replace the stater?

And... rebuild, or replace the carburetor to fix the cranking problem when hot.

Name
I'm Rick James
admiralclean said:
Certainly sounds like two different problems to me. You've got to fix the charging problem ... was the wire the fix, or are you going to need to replace the stater?

And... rebuild, or replace the carburetor to fix the cranking problem when hot.

They wanted to replace the stater wire. So you think the carb is the reason it wont start after it is hot and is the carb causing the deisel effect.

I think I can save some $$$ if i buy the rebuild kit online for the carb.

Thanks for your responses.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Have you checked the fuel solenoid at all? That could be the reason for the deiseling. Where do you have the fuel lines run? I'm wondering if you're having a vapor lock in the lines if they're run too close to the van exhaust.

Name
I'm Rick James
packfancjh said:
If you know you're not getting any spark the carb would have nothing to do with it.

My brother did a backyard mechanic test on it with a screw driver and he saw no spark, but the place I took it to today they had the right equipment and they had a weak spark. I think my brother didnt do it right.

Chads

Supportive Member
One reason engines "diesel" after you turn them off is cylinder is still hot enough to ignite and this usually happens because the idle is set too high.

Name
I'm Rick James
Chads said:
One reason engines "diesel" after you turn them off is cylinder is still hot enough to ignite and this usually happens because the idle is set too high.

I did lower the idle a week ago on it and the whole engine area is hot.

Chads

Supportive Member
Check the spark plugs see what they look like and then do a google search of how to read spark plugs, you can tell alot about what a engine is doing this way sometimes.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Listen dude, you can pull that flywheel yourself and fix that wire, or replace the stater, yourself. I did that very thing on my old TCS unit a few years back.

If I can do it ... anybody can.

Chads

Supportive Member
I also would try while its hot and not starting, is to take something and pour just a little fuel in the carb and see if it starts, about a 20 oz coke bottle cap full.

Chads

Supportive Member
If Marty says he can do it then your dog should be able to do it.

John Watson

Improper fuel to air mixture can cause internal engine overheat on air cooled motors that can cause engine to continue to try to run (Dieseling) after the ignition has been shut off. Also can effect the spark retarding to make hot or warm engine starting hard if not impossible...

Fix the wire first!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom