Got off the truck in 90 days...

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
I know some people can get off the truck quicker than in 90 days.

Heart attacks, back injuries, and bankruptcies - all quicker strategies to pull yourself off the truck.

But putting systems in place to move yourself from the day-to-day hamster wheel, and over to being the leader of your business with your time/energy on your most valuable activities - that is a big shift for a company. And one that a lot of business owners who wear LOTS of hats, and scared of.

At our last conference we had a few long-time cleaners talk about "getting off the truck someday" - maybe in a year or so. And Joe, always the action taker, challenged them to do it in 90 days. And the one who got it done, and did the best job sharing their "how," would win a grand prize of Joe paying for a full month's wages for the new technician.

It was a cool off-the-cuff challenge, and four finalists ended up doing exactly that - getting off the truck in 90 days.

And here is who won => http://www.richcleaner.com/blog/2011/03/05/and-the-winner-is/

Now, I know some will say "big deal" to this... but others will either remember how they felt being in that place of wanting to get off the truck... or maybe they are in that spot right now. Regardless, this was fun to watch, and having known all of these 4 for years, I love seeing the transformations I'm seeing in not only the money they are making with having FOCUS on building their companies... but also the personal transformations I've see in how they hold themselves, and the confidence they have in taking more big actions.

If this is the "make more money" room - regardless of whether you get resources from Piranha, or any of our competitors, or simply go do it on your own - you WILL make more money if you strategically get yourself doing less of the "busy work" and allow yourself time to focus on your highest value activities for your company.

That doesn't mean the cleaning is not important - it's very important. But you can train and systemize quality cleaning and service, and then truly play the role of the leader and chief rainmaker of your company.

Congrats to all four... they did a great job.
Lisa

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Lisa,
Thank you for your professionalism on this blog. I took SFS with JonDon and remember when Steve said to always be aware of your image,
your company image, and your employees image. You add to my positive experience on this board.

David Mirfin

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
dmirf1@msn.com said:
Lisa,
Thank you for your professionalism on this blog. I took SFS with JonDon and remember when Steve said to always be aware of your image,
your company image, and your employees image. You add to my positive experience on this board.

David Mirfin

Ditto

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Ken Snow said:
[quote="dmirf1@msn.com":28s3jupr]Lisa,

David Mirfin

Ditto[/quote:28s3jupr]

Thank you David & Ken. Very much.

This contest was fun. There are lots of good resources out there and options... the trick is motivating people to take that first step. I did not know how this would play out, but I'm enjoying seeing what these guys have done. And it is inspiring others to take action... and life rewards action.

Now I'm taking action to go eat that amazing Tri-Tip Sandwich I just picked up at a new local grub place - YUMMMMM!!!!

See you all in a few weeks!
Lisa

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Burtz said:
check back in a year to see

It's interesting to see who chooses to post a congrats, and who is already secretly cheering for someone else's failure.

One of the qualities I recognize in those who build the most successes in their lives is that ability to be happy for someone else's achievements. I do not know any highly successful and happy cynics. Do you?

Lisa

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I agree it is a big shift. Not just desinging/implementing systems, but a mental shift as well.

I tried for a long time to be both a technician and a manager and it's very hard to achieve and almost impossible to deleiver 100% at either.

Early this year and managed to change my MINDSET and while I'm working on the systems and a number of other issues, it is working better.

Now, if I have a day scheduled to work on marketing or sales or whatever, if a call come sin for an urgnet job, I'm NOT AVAILABLE. My schedule is already full for today, try to accomodate the client into another diary either later in the day or offer them tomorrow/sub out to my Dad etc.

Congrats not to all the participants that achieved the end result of getting there, not just the four or even the winner.

John

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
LisaWagnerCRS said:
Burtz said:

It's interesting to see who chooses to post a congrats, and who is already secretly cheering for someone else's failure.

One of the qualities I recognize in those who build the most successes in their lives is that ability to be happy for someone else's achievements. I do not know any highly successful and happy cynics. Do you?

Lisa

This from someone who called for a "Mutiny" on someone elses attempt at helping others. :roll: !gotcha!

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Brian R said:
LisaWagnerCRS said:
Burtz said:

Lisa

This from someone who called for a "Mutiny" on someone elses attempt at helping others. :roll: !gotcha!

The only thing worse than singing the wrong note is singing it louder.

I'm not going to cheer for that.

Lisa

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have been going out less and less myself but do findyself worrying about quality. I have to admit that we have been ising the rotovacs more because I am worried about injuries to my workers carrying the 175. So we have been switching to what we are calling "The Xtreme Double Clean" which is cleaned with a rotovac and then a wand. It seems to be going really well for quality.
I am feeling pretty confident that(not in90 days) but hopefully this year or early next year I will be in the office and marketing more. I do realize with neglected receivables I could probably afford to do it sooned if I hadn't. We do still 175 all commercial work.

I think it is a great challenge and hopefully some of us who want to get off the truck and grow our businesses can garner some important info from that challenge.

Great Job

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Crowley, you're 300 now. What's going to happen when you get secretary spread?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

if I go to clearwater who knows I don't need mikefest that is for sure

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
No fear Ken I decided I will be there. I am still looking for 2 who love to golf, you don't have to be good.

I am also in search of a microphone for 15 minutes of comedy

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Maybe we can do a comedy/sing a long hour. I'm sure carpet cleaners would love to hear me sing sappy love songs LOL.

As for golf, I can't imagine a worse way to spend 4 hours, but I know if you love the game it is a real passion. I have some very close friends who golf, and sail- another thing I have to be tied down to do.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Ken will u do 3 or 4 songs if I can get a bar to provide the mic for 15 minutes of comedy and a ken snow love song fest

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Brian R said:
"you never close your eyes anymore when I kiss...yer liiiippss"

I bet Kelly ‘I’m done with the man thing ’ McGillis could be made right after hearing Ken sing.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Brian R":34nv2qsq]"you never close your eyes anymore when I kiss...yer liiiippss"

I bet Kelly ‘I’m done with the man thing ’ McGillis could be made right after hearing Ken sing.[/quote:34nv2qsq]

LOL- Touche' Art!

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
How in the world did we get on this track? :shock:

Lisa

drowninbs.jpg

LOL...

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
yes back to the original post. BB ADD effects thousands of carpet celaners board wide.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Greg you need to inform the crews that they will be surprise spot checks and then periodically do them.

Have a hit list of bare minimum expectations
Door mats
Door Guard
Corner Guards
Prevacuuming
RotoVac

A few visits keeps them on their toes and the client also knows you care enough to make quality assurance checks.

It's really a win win, you get the results you want, the client also knows you care! 8)

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I just moved Matt to 5 days this morning and let him know that I expect him to be solo by Mid April. I also got bins for everything that they will need for seperate services. All the carpet and rug repair in one bin, everything you will need for upholstery in another, leather cleaning in another. We do not have duplicate equipment for leather and repair and retretch for each truck so that stays in the shop and when ordered it goes with that truck. I am buying extra sprayers and extra back up tools so that everyone has the protector mixed and ready to go.

I get a little nervous about finances because I am starting to have a decent size nut to make each month.

I made a work flow chart about a year ago with check lists on what to do and am going to implement that. I honestly think it will be like printing money once I get everything in place. My wife has pretty much decided to have me pump all the income back in the business and have her handle all the home finances to see what we can do with the business because it has been pretty good to us but it is hardwork. I am moving my hours to 8-4:30 for me and going to dedicate all that time to the business. I have to look for an internet block for mikeysboard. I have probably lost a million bucks from not working as hard as I should.

Keep throwing the suggestions out there. I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of the guys like Steve C, Mikey, Ken and many others to see how they handle their responsibilties

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
think about it Richard. I don't have a shit bum company like Platinum Carpet Cleaning and I don't do a lick of advertising and chasing work. I think if I went at it for the last two years like I should have I would be much better off. My SEO guy gives me shit for not fixing my site. I am going to really start working my business................tomorrow

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom