Groupon or bust?

Chris A

Name
Chris
The first one did really well for us with upsells our average ticket was $75 ( not that thats a great average but for every one we upsold services to there were 1-2 that would not add anything.) The second time with living social we raised the price and got a lower response, so we haven't done it since. With the groupon there were around 50 coupons that we got paid for, but never did. N

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The first one did really well for us with upsells our average ticket was $75 ( not that thats a great average but for every one we upsold services to there were 1-2 that would not add anything.) The second time with living social we raised the price and got a lower response, so we haven't done it since. With the groupon there were around 50 coupons that we got paid for, but never did. N

So on the $75 average ticket. You grossed what $50 or less after Groupon's cut. For $125 in work ? I can't do jobs for $50. I would be lucky to net $10 per job. I just backed out of a deal like this. It was $100 of work for $50. Of that I would get $25. So, I would be cleaning for 1/4 my price. After reflection, I decided that I'm not that bat crazy. Actually, it was after cleaning 2 jobs, That I had to drive across town, set up in the snow, Long hose runs, Were only $100 jobs, That made me decide. Hell NO I'm not doing this for $25 bucks!!

Last edited:

Chris A

Name
Chris
No Dave the average ticket was after groupons cut. We've had some repeats so far about $2500 but its only been a year so expect that number to climb. The repeats are full price naturally. I think the deal of the day had its run but I haven't seen any ccr sell nearly as many coupons as we did in my area (280). I know some guys in other markets have sold a lot more

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Good for you Chris- I thought Dave had misunderstood.

Another way to evaluate is to add up all the $ you received (from custy's and groupon including for work never performed) and divide that by the number of jobs you did. This will raise your avg by whatever it does to help you evaluate it even better. If you track hours you can then even get a dollar per hour amount.

Groupon can work for some and not for others- its all good.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
They themselves can't turn a profit. Another $64M lost in '12.

Their demographics:
18-34 Yrs old makes up the vast majority, just shy of 70%
Just under half are still single 49%
Only 3% declare occupation as homemaker

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yeah they just booted the founder of the company, don't feel too bad for him though...
He has a nice $300 million soft landing!

If carpet cleaners sign up they better have excellent sales skill, that is a pretty big hole to dig out of.

Back
Top Bottom