Groupon...start to finish

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
1. Female homeowner between the ages of 28 and 45 buys the groupon because she can see it's a quality company and would like to try their services. She trusts Groupon to only list quality companies because she has purchased Groupons in the past. For the deal she see's, she feels very lucky to be a part of something great and can't wait to tell her friends.

2. She prints out the Groupon and call the company in the deal. She has to leave a voicemail because they are so busy...she's OK with this because she noticed the company has sold 400 already. Good for them!

3. She gets a call back from a lovely lady ready to help her schedule. "Our first available date is Thursday the 28th (about 3 weeks out)". Wow, so soon? I thought for sure it would be months! Let's do it.

4. While speaking with the nice phone rep she is informed that they do sooo much more than carpet cleaning. They offer Scotchard, upholstery cleaning, tile and grout cleaning etc. The phone rep was so nice and informative that she decides to have her tile and grout floors cleaned in the kitchen and nook. She also has a little more carpet than what is offered in the deal and is told that they will give her a fair price on the extra areas. Oops, it's a 2 story...stairs are $3. each. Great!

5. A few weeks go by and she can't help but keep looking at her sofa and love seat and thinks "hmm, they said they clean upholstery...I'll ask them about it when they get here".

6. The day before the big day arrives! She gets a confirmation call letting her know approximately what time we will arrive and is asked if she has considered more services. "YES, can you clean my sofa and love seat??". Why of course we can...we can even re-apply the factory protectant to keep it looking new long after we clean it. "Let's do it!!"

7. The big day comes and the Tech is about an hour later than the approximate time given. "I understand they needed to take care of their other customers as well".
"Hello, Mrs. Homeowner my name is Tech and I'll be your cleaner today".
They take a look around and she points out the areas to be cleaned and all the problem areas. "What, you can clean area rugs as well? how much?....let's do them as well".
The price is given for all areas and the entire ticket is about 800% of the Groupon price with all the added services. She is told that the price WOULD have been about 1000% of the Groupon deal with our normal prices. She is sooo happy to have such a great deal.

8. The Tech gets to work on everything and about 3 hours later he is finished. "Whew, that was a big job but I think everything came out well." says the Tech. Mrs. Homeowner then says "Wow! what a great job....would you like something to drink? Let me get my check book and I'll be right back.

9. The Tech goes over the bill and discusses any issues that there may be. He also puts a magnet on the fridge so she won't have to buy another Groupon next time to get the same great price. !gotcha!
Not to mention she will be getting reminders in the mail with other offers!

10. Mrs. Homeowner writes the check. What's this? a 15% tip to the Technician?? Awesome. "Well I figured since I got a great price and you worked so hard. You deserve a gratuity...and Groupon recommends it as well. !gotcha! !gotcha!
"Wow" says the Tech "I can put food on my families table with just the tip alone!"

11. "Thank you maam...we're off to our next job. Give us a call if you need anything else. Oh, and you have all of our information so if you know of anyone at all that may need our service, we always welcome your referrals. AND we'll do the same great job for them that we just did for you."

12. She is so impressed that she gets right on the phone and starts calling her friends....because they always talk about the deals they get on Groupon. "Hey other Mrs. Homeowner...you know that deal I told you about for carpet cleaning?? OMG, it was awesome!...I hate to say I told you so...but I told you so.....what? You bought one too??? They're on their way over right now??? Well rest assured they will do the same great job for you that they did for me?

The End...well almost but I didn't want to carry on for too long :shock:

There are always the follow up.

So what do you think?

So I now I get to hear Lisa's story

PS. Everyone made money on the deal :mrgreen:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I read all the groupon studies
Most aren't married, most don't own a home, most don't remember the company, most have been rude and demanding, most only use what is in the coupon. Hey I know you don't believe in facts and university studies and vendor info. By most I should have put more than half. I am not going to waste my time rehashing because you don't understand facts. I just wanted to point out that your scenario would at most be 33% because that is the percent being a Mr or Mrs this includes families with more than 1 account so that number would lower. Since only 29-35% own homes that would also drop your scenario.

Since you are going for the 28-45 that would represent between 45-50% of all groupon users but would also drive down the % owning a home and married.

I am just stating some facts

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
As Ken Snow sez....when someone starts in with "giving the facts" it's time to be on guard.

I can only go on the EXPERIENCE that I had last time....those are just MY facts as they were for me.

Those "facts" change with every situation.....studies show what they want to show.

I will admit that the story above is a better than average scenerio...but I'm an optimist. shiteatinggrin

You should try it sometime.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am a realist and if it looks like shit, smells like shit guess what you have yourself a pile of shit

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Soooo... who are you trying to convince, US or maybe... yourself ?

Brian you're dealing with mainly the broke dick O/O - 1.5 truck companies here. Groupon just isn't a good decision for that type of company. Is a home owner really going to wait 4 weeks for a carpet cleaner, when they want it done NOW?

With the minimum of 500 required, its just not a smart choice.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Come on now...yes the story is a little overdone...I admitted that...but we did a few jobs in the $500 and $600 range last year.

Greg, you actually have to get close to the "shit" to smell it unless your studies come with a scratch n sniff.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bundy said:
I read all the groupon studies
Most aren't married, most don't own a home, most don't remember the company, most have been rude and demanding, most only use what is in the coupon. Hey I know you don't believe in facts and university studies and vendor info. By most I should have put more than half. I am not going to waste my time rehashing because you don't understand facts. I just wanted to point out that your scenario would at most be 33% because that is the percent being a Mr or Mrs this includes families with more than 1 account so that number would lower. Since only 29-35% own homes that would also drop your scenario.

Since you are going for the 28-45 that would represent between 45-50% of all Groupon users but would also drive down the % owning a home and married.

I am just stating some facts

I don't know the study you read. The one I read (I believe it was the Rice study) said that 66% of their campaigns were successful and the main component determining the success of Groupon was the attitude of the provider.

I definitely can see a difference in attitude between you and Brian.

But, then again you read ALL the studies and have reached your conclusion.

As with a lot in life. The attitude taken with your approach can mean everything.

With groupon 1/2 are single and 3/4 are between 18-34. Not a lot in the sweet spot, Married 43-50

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Funny you mention that. I worked hard to get Jen a Mary Kay Groupon deal.

Funny thing.....they said they want a "brick and mortar type business :shock:

But you didn't hear that from me.

8)

Even with my award winning personallity I couldn't persuade them to take it on. Oh well.

@ 50% off...it would just be Jens cost....AND a free makeover. It really would be an awesome deal and it would work...but whattyagonnado?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
More than 50% are single Dave unless Divorced and unmarried gays aren't considered single by you.

The 66% that you speak of in the study was the ones that immediatly made a profit off the margins of the deal it has nothing to do with overall success. You keep googling while I have access to alot of studies.

I am glad your on board with groupon because it really makes me know I made the right decision to steer clear.

A couple quick facts last year Brians prices were almost double and since groupon his price has dramaticly dropped for any and all customers. People keep saying how it doesn't coost anything to acquire those customers wrong it costs 75%. If you don't want to pay for customers upfront then put it on your business line of credit. I promise anyone who wants to pay me $13,000 I will GUARANTEE you that I will get you 526 customers at $24 for 3 rooms. That is a guarantee

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Greg...really?? Are you kidding me with this?

Where do you come up with this crap?

But hey..if you say it's a "fact" I guess it's a "fact". :roll:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
why don't you two make-out via pm and save both of you looking like 12 year olds on the playground. (edit- actually by 12, kids are usually more mature).

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Your Groupon last year and your price now are the same exact. When I pointed out the possible fraud you said that it wasn't your pice last year. Since groupon is a 40+ off venture and yours was $79 for 3 rooms that means your price last year was at minimum $111 and most likely $158 for 3 rooms and this year your price without groupon is $79 for 3 rooms.

So it is one of two things you were being fraudulent about your pricing for groupon or your prices went down dramatically

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Ken someone paints a rosy picture of groupon and I am going to go after it. I don't want carpet cleaners getting burnt like they did with bridgepoint postcard thing

Easier to say it like it is now than have guys who can't afford to get screwed get screwed

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yeah, you're a saint Greg.

The $79.00 deal you see is a special price now...like it was with Groupon then.

My regular prices are about the same as they've always been.

The only difference was I tried to bring Sacramento pricing here and that only went so far...BUT I still try to get them. I just give in a little more here.

Just because I run a special doesn't mean those are my "prices". There are sqft limitations, can't be use with other offers....you know how it works.

And actually I'm doing a 3 room deal for $89.00...that's $10.00 more than the groupon price last year so by your logic ( I use that term loosely) I've raised my prices because of Groupon. :roll:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Just going by the information you provide and is posted by your company as of yesterday. You had 3 rooms at $79. The sq ft limitation was 150 I believe or 180 I would have to look it up again which was the same.

I know but your "specials" haven't changed some would call them the regular price.

Oh what a tangled web we weave

If you say 3 rooms for $89 is a raise in price from your 50% off special of $79 for 3 rooms that wouldn't be an increase that would be an increase over the special but still lower than the approx $150 for 3 that was claimed

I should scam my customers and say (since I own multiple websites) that 25dollarsaroom.com is my specials price the actual price is twice as much but I run a special everyday of the year.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If someone doesn't mention a coupon, my regular price would still be around $100.00 for 3 rooms.
If they DO have a coupon then we do the 3 rooms for $89.00 unless they are large rooms...over 150 sqft.

How is that scamming?

When you go the grocery store and don't bring coupons, the person behind the register isn't going to offer them to you...sometimes they'll let you know about some deals...but they are not obligated.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
question is 3 rooms for $100 the same as you quoted in your groun ad? So just a 20% discount? when I looked it was a higher dicount. I will do a search. If it were higher then your prices had come down since correct?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bundy said:
question is 3 rooms for $100 the same as you quoted in your groun ad? So just a 20% discount? when I looked it was a higher dicount. I will do a search. If it were higher then your prices had come down since correct?

When we give our "regular price" to Groupon...we give our best case scenerio...or better case scenerio 3 rooms totaling 500 sq @ .30 is $150.00

Every job is different and we can't price a job until we see it.

FTD on the other hand is a product and has set prices.

And NO Groupon won't let us run a deal for 15 cents.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am gonna walk away with the loaded gun. You can thank me in Nashville and I do drink alchohol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom